Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • TRP Spyre – best pad/rotor combo for winter?
  • Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Are the supplied rotors specifically for resin pads ie would they be ruined if you ran sintered?

The stock pads seem to wear heavily every ride – ie to the point of having to wind in the adjuster followng every big descent. Also spongey as. (Jagwire ‘compression-less’ nothwithstanding)

What do you use?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

I threw the standard pads straight in the spares and fitted discobrakes sintered all good so far

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Freeza rotors and ground Shimano 785 sintered pads.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Cheapo eBay avid copy rotors and Fibrax organic pads, good enough to stop me on the 3 Peaks

andysmiff1
    Free Member

I’ve heard this before:

ultracrepidarian – Member
    Freeza rotors and ground Shimano 785 sintered pads.

What/where do you grind down? Edges of the backing plates? And how much?

(Got 785s on both road bikes and just building up winter SS with spyres)

A

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

Yup, about half a mm per edge.

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Cool – will give that a go. Got some spares in the garage.

A

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Cool – thanks.

I take it you’ve done this with non-finned pads?

A

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

i replaced mine with standard deore pads and icetech rotors works great

tillydog
    Free Member

More info here

Thanks for that^ It pretty much tallies with my experience.

I found the OE TRP pads pretty poor on the stock 160mm front disc. Sintered pads (Nukeproof IIRC) worked better, but honked like a donkey all the time. Shimano organic pads were OK, Swisstop green the best. Even so, IME, the brakes weren’t very good. Initial bite was OK, but the ultimate power wasn’t there – I could be squeezing the lever (4700) until my knuckles were white, but not stopping any quicker (lever feel was OK).

I changed to an ugly, old style Deore 180mm disc on the front (to match the track width of the pads) and it is so much better – for the first time I feel that the brake generates enough power, and have stopped looking wistfully at hydraulics (this is using Shimano organic pads). I can get the brake to honk by using a certain pressure on the lever, but it’s not too hard to avoid this in day to day use.

The filing thing means that I should be able to use a nicer, lighter 180mm SLX disc that I have – thanks 🙂

The 140mm disc / OE pads have been fine on the rear.

ultracrepidarian
    Free Member

I take it you’ve done this with non-finned pads?

Yes, Shimano g40s pads. Just replaced these with Uber matrix pads, which have required more fettling as the pad material isn’t as accurately located on the backing plate. Will be interesting to see how they compare to the Shimano pads.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Whats the biggest rotor you could use with Spyres? and what bracket? I am on a Spesh Diverge

tillydog
    Free Member

I think Specialized say 160, but I’ve got a 180 on mine. Normal MTB caliper spacers work.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘TRP Spyre – best pad/rotor combo for winter?’ is closed to new replies.