Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • TRP HY/RD – self adjusting / compensating?
  • steve_b77
    Free Member

Once you install the TRP HY/RD calipers and get them initially set up, are they self adjusting for pad wear like normal hydraulic disc brakes on a MTB, as in the lever generally doesn’t feel any different no matter how much pad is left, as consistent feel so to speak?

The reason I ask is I currently have Shimano Cable discs on my CX bike (the Ultegra level ones) and they need a fair amount of manual (2 different hex keys) adjustment, especially if you’re out on a long wet & muddy ride like the 60km I did the other week and the even wetter and muddier 35km I did yesterday.

I don’t want to change shifters and mechs (currently on Shimano 5700 105) and I’m happy with that, so I see the HY/RD’s as the step to more consistent braking.

Don’t get em wrong, the Shimano cable discs, when set up have more than enough stopping power, it’s just the near constant adjustment i can’t be bothered with.

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah, that’s one of their main advantages really – although I haven’t actually put enough miles on mine to confirm how well it works…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

possible disadvantage though is if they adjust themselves to be so close to the rotor that all that mud and slop rubs all the time.

thepurist

Mine don’t seem to, in fact I just noticed that the rear is almost to the bars now so I need to tweak the cable.

Dibbs
    Free Member

When I had them on my bike I found they were OK until the pads where about half worn, then the levers would be back to the bars. TRP say DON’T adjust the cable to allow for wear because it prevents the caliper arm from returning far enough to allow more fluid from the reservoir to the pistons. The only other option to get the remaining use from the pads is to top up the caliper reservoir (but then you’ll need to bleed some fluid out when you fit new pads).

Superficial
    Free Member

TRP say DON’T adjust the cable to allow for wear because it prevents the caliper arm from returning far enough to allow more fluid from the reservoir to the pistons.

Yeah this is true, but I found that I had to tighten the cable a bit (1-2mm only) to allow the pad self-adjustment to work properly. After that bit of tweaking, no further adjustments were needed.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I think the problem is due to the reservoir being too small, I have a feeling the later models have a larger reservoir.

I solved my problem by fitting my HyRd’s to my son’s bike and some RS685’s to mine. 🙂

steve_b77
    Free Member

So would you get them or not?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘TRP HY/RD – self adjusting / compensating?’ is closed to new replies.