Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • TRP Hy/Rd (or spyres) with Shimano 105 5800 levers – any experiences?
  • stevious

Getting a bit hacked off with trying to get my BB7s on the cross bike to set up properly. I suspect it might be because Shimano changed the lever pull ratio on their newest road groupsets. I either have too much lever throw (ie to the bar) or rubbing brakes.

Has anyone been using newer shimano levers with TRP calipers? What has been the outcome?

(Secondary question: are the Hy/Rds that much better than spyres? I like the look of them)

mboy
    Free Member

Shimano increased the lever pull, which if anything, means they will work better with BB7’s than their older levers, not worse.

Anyway… BB7’s are a massive faff. Plenty powerful enough, but they’re such a PITA to setup properly, and even then they do feel soft. Spyres and Hy-Rd’s are both a massive improvement.

Are Hy-Rd’s that much better? Yes/No/Maybe (delete as appropriate). They’re no more powerful, but they’re self adjusting just like proper hydraulic discs, and IMO they’re a little firmer at the lever still. They’re a fair bit more expensive though.

curto80
    Free Member

5800 levers with Spyres are the stock build on the Kinesis Tripster. Mine have worked perfectly, don’t notice any difference between those and the latest Shimano hydraulics I have on my other bike to be honest.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I started with spyres on my tripster and then swapped to HyRds, I much prefer the feel of them and they seem to work consistently even on a long downhill.

eddie11
    Free Member

yep 5800s with hyrds work great

stevious

Thanks for the replies gents.

Might ritually burn my BB7s.

spangelsaregreat
    Free Member

Just changed over to 5800 on my cross and the levers are excellent with Spyres. You might want to check out the Juin Tech R1s. Lighter and cheaper than Spyres, what I would buy now instead of the Spyres.

johnny63

was just about to recommend the Juins too – fitted them to replace BB7s and think they’re great – although using with 5700

http://www.edgesportsuk.com/store/index.php/juin-tech/road-cx.html?___SID=U

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘TRP Hy/Rd (or spyres) with Shimano 105 5800 levers – any experiences?’ is closed to new replies.