• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by tang.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • TRP HyRd brakes?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

How do you rate them especially through winter – do they need a lot of maintenance because of the cable?

Compared to say BB7 or Shimano hydraulics

brassneck

I’ve done precisely nothing to them all year. Full outer means it doesn’t really need looking at if you put decent cables on, but I just used Shimano normal stuff and its fine thus far.

They are more or less exactly what you’d expect – a little stronger and more consistent than BB7s or Spyres, but not as good as full hydros.

Dibbs
    Free Member

My current Whyte Saxon CX bike has had BB7’s, HyRd’s and is currently on Shimano R685’s and I can’t see that changing any time soon.
    The BB7’s worked, felt a bit wooden and needed adjusting to compensate for pad wear.
    The HyRd’s had a nice feel plenty of power and good modulation, but no matter how well you set them up when the lever comes back to the bars the pads are only half worn. Adjusting the cable is no use as that just stops the caliper lever from returning and allowing more fluid through to the pistons, the only cure is to top the caliper fluid up.
    The Shimano’s are excellent, great feel and power. When the levers touch the bars the pads are worn out, stick new ones in and you’re away again.
    The only problem I’ve had with them is the god awful noise made by the Metal Shimano pads, the original Resin pads were fine and lasted a reasonable amount of time, the Metal’s haven’t lasted much longer but the noise is horrendous. I won’t be buying those again.

eddie11
    Free Member

they are very good. one pair has run through grit and salt of one winter on a commuter with no maintenance on odessy bmx cables. Same weather ate a bottom bracket and rear hub. Another pair has run through a cross season and been consistent and strong. Cross has eaten a few pads but had the problem with pulling to the bars.

One fitting tip i have is fit cables as tight as possible. yank the life out of the lever all the way to the bars, release. with cable stretch/housing seating there is 2/3mm of slack to take up at the caliper. retighten and modulation and lever throw are fine.

antigee

i replaced the BB7’s on my CX/adventure/gravel/hybrid with HyRd’s because was fed up with adjusting the BB7’s – was a bit concerned that possibly a waste of money as in my mind a mixed cable/hydraulic system must have compromises but all the reviews said good and the reviews were right – for me feel money well spent, very happy – just ran them thru the Aus’ winter = no salt!! so can’t help there

tang
    Free Member

Also pair with Uber bike race matrix pads.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘TRP HyRd brakes?’ is closed to new replies.