Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • TRP Hy/Rd Or Hope V-Twin Brakes?
  • notmyrealname
    Free Member

Is anyone using these brakes?

What’s the verdict on them, good or bad compared to BB7’s?

They seem to be out of stock everywhere at the moment, not sure if that’s a good or bad sign! I reckon that either these or the Hope V-Twin should be an improvement over the BB7’s but I’m not sure whether or not to splash out on them as a Christmas present to myself 😀

craigxxl
    Free Member

Not used them but from the reviews they will be an improvement. I’ll be looking at TRP HyRd.

convert

Got the HyRds – blimey they are good! Certainly in comparison to my previous BB7s. It’s not so much the power (although I’d say they are better) but more the modulation and light feel at the lever plus the easy setup and maintenance. I was always struggling to get the BB7s to have ‘bite’ but not catch and with these is a doddle. Also, they self adjust as the pads wear out and have a funky little knob to lock them in transit.

Not tried the Hopes for comparison but would recommend these.

igm

Sold some BB7s in favour of the V-Twins. Much prefer the V-Twin – more power, more modulation, less scraping sounds (ie the pads have more clearance from the disc).

convert

less scraping sounds (ie the pads have more clearance from the disc).

This, in my anal, can’t stand rattles and noises from bikes or cars mind – was the best bit of changing! 😀

craigxxl
    Free Member

Convert, where did you get yours and how much?

tang
    Free Member

Hyrds have been great all summer and this wet muddy winter so far.

convert

Merlin (after hunting around the german places) – the same price they are quoted for now, but at the moment not in stock. I had to go for the silver ones as they were the only ones in stock which are a bit polished tbh – the black would have gone better with most other components on my and most other bikes.

craigxxl
    Free Member

Never thought of Merlins. Cheers.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve been using HyRd’s for a few months now, they replaced some BB7’s. I much prefer the feel of the HyRd’s and they have more than enough power. The lever travel is quite long, but this can be overcome to a certain extent by overfilling the fluid resevoir (pump the pistons out a small amount and refill the reservoir), don’t be tempted to try and adjust the lever travel using cable adjustment as this can prevent fluid from the master cylinder flowing to allow for pad wear.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Sounds like the HyRd’s are the brakes to go for then.
    Just got to find some now!

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Did anyone manage to hunt down any availability in stock?

Upgrade bikes have been saying 4wks+ for a while now.

Is there any suggestion that they’re improving the design (e.g lever throw) before the next run?

stewit
    Free Member

Don’t bother with TRP HY/RD’s; THEY ARE RUBBISH.

They were OEM on my Whyte Suffolk, and in the 3 months that I have owned the bike the only thing that has consistently let the bike down are the brakes.

If they are set up as the manufacturers instructions the brake lever goes all the way back before the brakes only just begin to bite. If you go against the manufacturers instructions and reduce the cable pull, the brakes work fine for the first few descents then fail catastrophically. NOT A WISE MOVE.

I have just ordered a set of Hope V Twins for my bike to sort out what is the weak link with the Whyte Suffolk!

In my view TRP need to go back to the drawing board with this design.

JoB
    Free Member

i’ve used the Hopes and HY/RDs and i’d go for the HY/RDs

the Hopes are excellent but feel a bit wooden and are really quite hard to use if you’re on the hoods, but being hydraulic they’re pretty much fit and forget

the HY/RDs have a lovely light action with tons of modulation compared to the Hopes but as they’re cable actuated they need more care, the best thing you can do is get some compression-free brake housing, that makes a lot of difference
    never had a problem with them failing catastrophically in the over 3 months i’ve been using them, oh, apart from not realising the stock pads weren’t designed for wet conditions and wearing through them in a race, whoops
    swap them out if you get them

alexdodd
    Free Member

Interesting i’ve got them on my whyte suffolk and rate them pretty highly, not as maintenance free as i originally thought it would seem. I’m having excess lever travel on the rear. But everything given, I don’t think you’d get anything better….

craigxxl
    Free Member

Stewit, if the Hy/Rds are black and in good condition then I would be interested in them.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

In the end I tried a set of Hy/Rd’s and thought they were pants so got shot of them.
    The V-Twins have been great, glad I went for them in the end.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘TRP Hy/Rd Or Hope V-Twin Brakes?’ is closed to new replies.