Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • TRP cx9 mini Vs
  • chip
    Free Member

Anyone use them?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Yes. Or may be the 8.4s.

chip
    Free Member

😀
    Do they work well.

rusty90
    Free Member

Yes, a huge improvement on cantis IME. I went with the 8.4s rather than the 9s as you get roughly the same performance but with better rim clearance (you get more movement of the brake blocks for the same cable pull so the blocks don’t have to be set up as close to the rims.) Using them with Ultegra 6800 levers.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Shorty ultimates ftw

jimc101
    Free Member

Have had them for a couple of years, much better than the stock Tektro cantis my CX bike had fitted OEM, the pads’s aren’t that great, they were transformed with a set of Swissstops.

Not sure where you are getting the mini idea from the CX9/8.4 are full sized linear pull (v-type) brakes.

chip
    Free Member

Apparently 8.4s for SRAM and campag and 9s for shimano.
    I thought cantis had to be replaced with mini Vs instead of proper Vs due to position of mounting lug on cantis being different to V brakes.

Could be completely wrong (usually am)as I have only been looking into this this morning.

john_l
    Free Member

Not sure where you are getting the mini idea from the CX9/8.4 are full sized linear pull (v-type) brakes.

Are you sure? Seems odd to produce a brake that isn’t compatible with the levers that 99% of ‘cross bikes would be using.

cp

no they’re not!

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Right, I have the TRP CX8.4s being used with Shimano 5600 levers. All work lovely. Plenty of feel and very good at stopping. They do clag up with mud and shite if it’s a muddy race though so I swapped to cantis around mid-season when the weather turned.
    I’d happily recommend them for a dry course or road use.
    I can’t say anything about the TRP pads as I switched straight to swisstop RAT yellow

Speshpaul

Chip being in the process of going disc i have a bikes worth of shiney red CX9’s that will be for sale very shortly.
    mail me

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

This …

shedbrewed – Member
    Right, I have the TRP CX8.4s being used with Shimano 5600 levers. All work lovely. Plenty of feel and very good at stopping. They do clag up with mud and shite if it’s a muddy race though so I swapped to cantis around mid-season when the weather turned.
    I’d happily recommend them for a dry course or road use.

Except I had mini-Vs. Worked great when it wasn’t a mud-fest, but ended up with cantis.

oldgit
    Free Member

Was happy until I raced them.
    Set up required fairly tight rim/pad clearance. The feel was road like, which I thought would be great, but not so IMO. Too stiff? I prefer the slower braking feel of a canti.
    The first really bad muddy race day and they clogged solid, so did a mates.
    Went back to cantis.
    Also both ended up with cross threaded adjusters, and I’m certainly not ham fisted.
    CX9’s with Ultegra on a Ridley Supercross.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘TRP cx9 mini Vs’ is closed to new replies.