Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Troy lee Designs A1 helmet owners… I have a question!
  • YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Troy Lee A1 owners…

Does the helmet have a hard shell (like the D2/D3) or is it a thin plastic shell wrapped around the polystyrene (EPS) like a ‘normal’ MTB helmet?

I’m deciding between the A1 or an Urge. I like the idea of a solid shell.

Cheers all!

chrismac

Crc are selling last years colours cheap if that helps

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Thanks for the reply.

That is what prompted my question TBH, it’s rude not to at 50% off!

Cheers

dirtyrider
    Free Member

ummmm, I’ve got a carbon D2 and an A1 – but i dont get your question

I_Ache
    Free Member

I don’t have one, I was close but couldn’t stomach the cost. IIRC it is just like a normal helmet. It certainly didn’t feel like my urge.

Apart from piercings* I can’t see the benefit to a hard shell.

*And this is null and void as soon as you start putting vents in it.

YETIboyJAY
    Free Member

Dirtyrider: I thought it was pretty easy to understand. Nevermind pal i think lAche has answered my question…Its as i thought a conventional bicycle helmet construction.

The TLD is a EPS core with a very thin Polycarbonate shell vacuum formed on top. E.g Just like all ‘normal’ mtb helmets.

The Urge i believe is more like a ‘normal’ Full face MTB helmet or Motorcycle helmet, it also has the EPS Core but has a hard shell that is around 1mm thick, normally made of a composite or plastic (thicker polycarbonate?).

I personally MUCH prefer a hard shell helmet, i find that ‘normal’ mtb ones wear much quicker. I recently took a sizeable dig out of my Fox Flux from where a branch hit the helmet when riding through a tight section of trail. If i had been wearing my hard shell full face this would simply have bounced off and not stuck in the exposed soft EPS part.

Thanks for the input fellers.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Troy lee Designs A1 helmet owners… I have a question!’ is closed to new replies.