Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Troute Lights.
  • johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has had the chance to have used both the Lumen Liberator and the Darkness Dominator together. I have only used a Lib’ but may have the chance to change to the DD. Is the DD as wide a beam as the Lib and is it noticeably brighter?

Cheers,

John

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Isn’t the Liberator effectively the same as the Dominator? ie bar mounted flood. Personally, if I already had a Liberator, I’d be looking at a helmet mounted Spider Eye to go with it. I’ve had the Dominator with Spider Eye on Demo and twas awesome.

mboy
    Free Member

Spoke with Troutie himself about this a while ago. He said to me, in honesty, that the Liberator probably has the better beam pattern for offroad, though the DD is brighter but more focussed.

chriswilk
    Free Member

DD is a little narrower beam, but still plenty wide enough.
    Measured brightness is 1.5x that of the LL and with the slightly narrower beam it looks much brighter.
    This is comparing a very early LL with a very early DD, the lenses may have been tuned a bit since.

chriswilk
    Free Member

mboy – in my experience, LL is better if not using a helmet light, DD is better if using a decent helmet light to see round the corners.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Well I will be using it with my Gemini Xera 850 flashlight on the helmet. The Lib is absolutely fantastic but I have had a little issue with it so I have sent it back to Chris. I have a few pennies that I didn’t have before so I was wondering if it was worth stepping up to the the DD. I have seen the numbers but it’s only until you have it on the trails that you see if it’s any brighter/better or not.

John

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I only have the DD, and use it with a spot helmet light.

On it’s own I find the DD is really bright and plenty wide enough, but lacks a bit of forward penetration, hence the spotty lid light. I think to myself that it would be good if one of the three lenses could be a spot with the others left as flood.

If anything the DD is too bright on max, and tends to wash out the trail a bit. Doesn’t stop me turning the wick up on faster downhills though.

No idea how it compares to the LL, but it sounds like they might be too samey. and you would be better off with helmet spot light.

trout
    Free Member

Hi John

Will send you the Dominator to try out Just need to build one so be a couple of days
    will be OK with your existing battery .

Chris Lenses are the same but newer leds in both .

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Interesting, sounds like they are in a very similar ballpark. Too bright?? Praise indeed!

Cheers Chris!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Troute Lights.’ is closed to new replies.