Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • trout lite 6xpe any opinions?
  • carlphillips
    Free Member

thinking of upgrading my tired old ayups for one of these, anyone have one and what do you think? how does it compare to the ayups?

trout
    Free Member

I have got some and to be honest I think they are the dogs do das
    1100 lumens and mated to one of smudges packs beat most shop bought lights easily.

I only have one anodised left and 5 plain ali though I may send them to be anodised .

Wally

give us a reminder of price

trout
    Free Member

Complete kit to build your own £145 plus pp
    built up light head ready to connect to battery £ 165 plus pp

carlphillips
    Free Member

sold..

cheers trout for being so helpful, i’ll review them on here after using them.

Schweiz
    Free Member

How’s the second half of the build your own tutorial going Troutie?

smudge
    Free Member

the guys a bike light super hero.
    The xpe is his best light to date, unbelievably small and neat. But what a surprise you get when you switch it on.

I,m sure MrT will put some beam shots up later

trout
    Free Member

Cheers Carl you wont be disapointed I am sure.

Schweiz Yes I must get the rest of that done and update the site , I have gone from being unemployed in jan and feb when most of the site got done
    and then just as the housings and lights took off work in my day job of fitting flooring just went mad and time was in very short supply . so it just got left on the back burner ..

Then this weekend all of a sudden I have orders for 2 in OZ 2 in the USA
    and 1 for Carl in cornwall So it is a sunny day spent in the Shed.
    No sod it off out on the Bike then an evening in the shed

Cheers Smudge , Dont forget they still need leccy from your ace batteries to work.

leeroybrown
    Free Member

iam well pleased with mine

cxi
    Free Member

Dead chuffed with mine as well – superb bit of kit.

swoosh
    Free Member

i’ve got a superstar light at the mo, will the battery from that work? and how do i adapt it to fit? its the 4.4mah one.

if it wont work with that battery:

smudge, how much are your batteries? and do they plug straight in to the troutelites?

stevemorg2

He’s made me a Quad LED set up (2x R2s, 2x MCE) using a maglite head – I’m running it with a Smudge Li-Ion packit and it really is superb!

I’ve had Lumicycle halogens, both Trailtech and L&M HID in the past and nothing has come close to this (though I’m sure some off the Lupine stuff might but at a price!)

Trout and Smudge are both really good guys to deal with – if you want a decent set-up I wouldn’t hesitate

trout
    Free Member

Aye up Steve I was chatting with smudge the other day and your ears should have been twitching we were both wondering how you were finding the performance of that beast of a light ,
    daft thing was just after your light I got involved with the XPE light and never got to compare the 2 .
    do you ever use it on full power .and what sort of runtimes is it giving you.

Swoosh.
    if it is a 14.4 volt battery it can be made to fit and 4.4ah will give you plenty .

Here is a vid showing my first 6 XPE light compared to my 3000 lumen quad MCE .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugS-yncgjb8
    The XPE light is purely a spot for my helmet where as on most of the ones sold so far they have had a mix of optics to give some wide beam too .

DeeW
    Free Member

I’ve got a 6XPE Troutlight and is very very good.

The Troutelight is amazingly well built and everything fits in perfect. Build up is fiddly. £20 build up cost a good investment if you’ve not played with lights before.

But great thing about these well designed DIY kits is that everything is replaceable should anything fail, so maybe worth getting to know how it all works and fits together.

Is very bright as you’d expect. I reckon its about twice as bright as a HID or Hope 4LED. I use it as a barmount with a Cutter 3xR2 helmet mounted and ride at near daylight speeds.

I run mine with a 2.6ah Smudge Li-Ion which hasn’t failed me on 2.5 hour rides (you can reduce the current when not needed to save battery power). Smudge’s pack is also a lovely little thing: make a great package.

swoosh
    Free Member

So if the battery i have 14.4v it will work with the troutelight. Nothing on SSC website about the battery, just have to wait til i get home then. i hope it’s 14.4 then, if its not a 14.4, will anything else work? 12v?

Will the light be compatible as the switch on the SSC light is on the battery, will that confuse the trout light system?

if 2.6mah batteries give 2.5 hours plus then the 4.4mah battery i have should be good for over 3 hours i’d have thought, is that about right?

I’d be wanting it as a bar mounted light, whats the best way of fitting it to the bars? can i use a cheap ‘Smart’ light mount? and if so how to fit the light to the mount?

can the power be switched down? like, low/high/max etc?

Sorry for all the numpty questions but i want to make sure i get it right with these lights as the SSC one wasn’t as good as i was hoping for.

Thanks in advance
    Swoosh

trout
    Free Member

Swoosh I just had a look at the ssc site I wonder why they dont say what voltage it is . anyways 14.4 volt battery is the best option how the light is built and lower voltage is a no no , but I can build one that can use a 12 volt pack or even a 7.2 if needed.it is just a bit more complex .

if the switch on the battery is an on / off then no problems at all.
    runtime wise it draws 1 amp on full power so if yours is a 14.4v 4.4ah pack then 4 hours is doable on high but in reality you use a mix of hi and low when riding so even longer would be expected.

power levels you can have hi / low ( recomended)
    or 5 levels from low to hi ( = too much hassle when riding imho)

if you want it on the bars then I can supply a mount drilled tapped and fitted for an extra £5

stevemorg2

Trout,

most of the time I have the R2s on and the MCes on low which is usually enough. If I want to push it a bit then I’ll put the MCEs on high – it’s bloody bright.

One thing I’ve notice with this lamp is that theres a better spread of light from the MCEs than on my old triple R2 (so much so I use my Fenix on the helmet a lot less) and the R2s do light up the trail a lot further than before

I can’t really give an accurate runtime – certainly I’ve not run out of juice on a 2hr ride and initially I was using the lamp on full power but I’ve not run it continously until the battery gives up.

I like the look of the 6xpe though – is it a lot better than what I have?

trout
    Free Member

Thanks for that Steve thats good.

as for is the xpe light better no way apart from size and can be used on the helmet .

6 XPE light on high = approx 1100 lumens.

your light with everything on high = 2000 ish lumens.

stevemorg2

cheers Trout – I thought my light might already have been bettered!

swoosh
    Free Member

thanks a lot for that info Trout.

I’m not really gonna be buying a light just yet cos it’s coming up to the summer and i’m not doing any races this year but i really will be considering this come autumn. there might even be brighter LEDs out by then for you to pop in the casing Trout. who knows.

trout
    Free Member

cheers Trout – I thought my light might already have been bettered

It has with my monster in the video and there may be some of those available by the autumn

Swoosh , That is a B*gger that means the kids have to go hungry for another week 😥

racing_ralph
    Free Member

Trout single led helmet light? any planes?

racing_ralph
    Free Member

any plans sorry not planes

trout
    Free Member

Hi RR what are you after I have no plans or planes at the mo
    but might be pursuaded as have a few leds looking for a project.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

L+M stella size head unit with an output of 480 lumens+

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘trout lite 6xpe any opinions?’ is closed to new replies.