Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Trout light mk2 – good idea or a waste of time
  • Stuart
    Free Member

Something I’d like to see is a helmet producer to integrate the light and batteries into the helmet. Like Brants lights each side of the head they would have a tunable point where the lights converge and all the wiring etc. would be nicely out of the way.

Probably seem a little strange looking at first but helmets never used to have visors back in the day and now you look like a roadie without one !

stu

smudge
    Free Member

I thought of that as well stuart, BUT when i came off a few months ago there wasn’t much left of my helmet. I’m glad there wasnt anything else other than the ‘helmet’ on my head. I wouldnt of fancied the light or battery impregnated into my head. Plus it would weaken the helmet having them inbuilt

CountZero

Ok, I accept that a plug-and-play may not be possible, so I’m prepared to go with your new design. I was thinking about some LEDs that come already mounted in a reflector so will just swap over, but I guess these new ones aren’t like that. Hmmm. There must be some way around it. Whatever. I’m likeing the look of these lights a lot, so I’ll follow developments closely.

trout
    Free Member

Bit of an update , as I could not do the Stw Howgills ride I spent the afternoon in the shed keeping cool so the mark 2 was born and working but only a 600 lumen helmet light untill the new leds come out

and next to a P7 torch

CountZero

Mmmmm, nice! How many Lm will it chuck out with the new LEDs?

trout
    Free Member

Cheers Countzero
    the CNC version will be nicer
    lumen count with 3 of the new XPG leds will be 1000 on high .

CHB

Trout, hadn’t realised you were in Yorkshire! Which bit?

I think folk need to support cottage industries and blokes with passion and a lathe!

For that reason, please add me to the list for a light later on this year.
    I think that I will get the MOFO bar mount with 1500+ lumen.
    Though the 3LED 1000lumen above would be nice too.
    Will this be dimmable so that I don’t get shunned by fellow riders?

As for price, there is a big thing in the US with folk turning out custom flashlights for stupid high prices. As you say you are a bloke with a passion doing this (at the moment) for beer money. If you can do a hope/USE beating product and not be ridiculous on price then I hope the good denizens of STW will support you.

Oh…and get that helmet mount sorted

😉

monkeychild
    Free Member

If you can do a hope/USE beating product and not be ridiculous on price then I hope the good denizens of STW will support you.

I would be one of the interested.

trout
    Free Member

Cheers CHB
    Silsden nr keighley is home.

yes fully dimmable so it doesnot annoy too many others most folks would only use high for the fast techy bits

Helmet mount so who does the best lowest profile helmet mounting system I need ideas .

will post up progress as it happens and hope for the emails to come rolling in

cheers monkeychild . a price will be up when we have a finished real one to show.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

interesting thread..

at the end of the day it will all come down to price. no doubt the 50quid dealextreme light will sell shedloads, i for one will be buying one, but depending on the price of the trout light – would be good if you could give us a ballpark (unless i missed it in the thread) – i could be persuaded.

i have no doubt that trouts quality will be higher, and i like the idea that it can be future proof, but how much more it will be than 50quid is the potential killer.

tinsy
    Free Member

Trout, you are at the front of the pack when it comes to home made lights, and you obviously enjoy it so keep building and selling.

Your velcro helmet mount is exactly the right mount in my opinion, you dont need anything more fancy than a velcro strap & another bit to stop it slipping, any bought system I have had I have always just ditched the provided helmet mount for something similar, or just cable ties.

singletracksurfer

I’ll defo have one if they are available soonish.

Please let me know when they’ll be available & what the cost is.

singletracksurfer at hotmail dot co dot uk

juan
    Free Member

To be fair trout for a helmet light, 600real lumens is in my opinion plenty enough.
    I would be working on a road friendly mode (flashing), a way to dissipate the heat more efficiently and maybe something enabling to change the batteries on the fly/ under a tent without the use of a tool.
    If you want help with that I’ll be more than happy to provide you with ideas crap drawing for nothing (that the proper engih for nowt 😉 ).

Best of luck

Juan

trout
    Free Member

Thanks for the feedback guys its all usefull stuff.

Gav no will it compete with the £50 dealextreme light cant really do a figure yet as the components are volatile and linked to the strength of the dollar/pound we dont have a price for batterys and charger.
    it will certainly be cheaper than its equivalent of the main makers .
    also forget that this is diy light it will certainly be a profesional quality product with the back up of the guys who created it.

Tinsy
    What no photo this time 😆
    Thanks for the mount comments I was beginning to think I was going mad , I have looked at most of the helmet mount methods out there and it still comes down to straps for the best arrangement

Juan
    totaly agree as it is now it is a killer light nice beam ( you have to take my word for that at the moment)

it is still burning on low power test since 05.00 this morning

Heat wont be a problem and it has flashing and heat sensing so it dims if it gets to warm

This version will be rechargeable only but we have not ruled out a version that will take standard rechargeable li ions .

Yes please send me your Ideas cant be any worse than my drawings .

tinsy
    Free Member

Trout, do you mean this one? I liked it so much I have kept a copy.

takisawa2

Pah, these LED’s will never catch on. 🙂

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Trout,

Can you keep me in the loop when you new light arrives, would love one of them for the winter. Im sure it will better than my Hope “ONE” which in all fairness has coped very well on my road bike and off road on my MTB. jasontonge2000(at) yahoo (Dot) com

PS, Keep the mad British inventor bonkers thing going, Rule Brittania. 😛

brant
    Free Member

Gav no will it compete with the £50 dealextreme light

I think you mean “Gav, it will NOT compete with the £50 dealextreme light?

Though of course it depends how you quantify “compete” 😉

brant
    Free Member
    trout
    Free Member

Thanks for the correction Brant
    hell christmas is nearly here LOL

trout
    Free Member

Ok the light went out at 16.15 so that is 11 hours 15 mins on low
    next to charge it up and try medium .

Nice one tinsy .

kingkongsfinger
    Cheers will add you to the email list ta.
    STsurfer Thanks Mid august hopefully.

stevemorg2

Trout,

add me to your list of possibles (final price dependent of course) – you also had repies off me on CPF and MTBR

cheers

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Must admit the quality look excellent. Would compliment the P7 on the bars for next year 😉

CountZero

hi trout, the three led light is neat, but the 1500Lm ‘paintstripper’ light has me drooling! Stick me on your e-mail list, please: adrian_hillierATbtinternetDOTcom

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Gav no will it compete with the £50 dealextreme light
    I think you mean “Gav, it will NOT compete with the £50 dealextreme light?

sorry, maybe i was’nt so clear on what i was trying to say, i was’nt suggesting that you compete with a 50quid light – but if you could!!! : )

my point was that at 50quid the dealextreme light is going to have a lot of takers, but for that cash, as has already been said many times, quality will possibly suffer. however to step up and get similar light output and the missing quality you are looking at paying what, £150 plus? if your light will sit somewhere between the two, then it will be tempting to lay out some extra cash and you might get additional sales from people like me who are not serious night riders, would not spend 150quid odd on lights, but can appreciate a bit of home grown quality.

shortcut

Whats the latest on these? I could well be interested.

trout
    Free Member

The latest is a bit of a waiting game ( tfi/summer at the moment )

The 2 prototypes along with the very first Troutlight were lent to Macgyver to do an adventure race some where in wales and are back in the post to me , He has promised to do a writeup on them so hopefully there will be some feedback coming soon.

I have 3 projects bubbling along on the cooker but the Bastid DX light
    sort of turned the gas out for a while.

AverageMark
    Free Member

Afternoon trout, just a quick note to say the Troutlite was fantastic at Mayhem this weekend. A fair few people where showing alot of interest, so i wouldn’t count your chickens just yet.

shortcut

defo think you might have a winning product here. if you could add me to your mailing list that would be great.

ta.

sc

smudge
    Free Member

A few were pretty impressed yesterday with the troutlight when I showed them it on the chilterns ride sunday.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Trout, could you build a fek off huge future proof 2700lumen (or more) light? Like 3 P7’s strapped together with a near 180degx60 beam?

I’d get one, no idea where it could be usefull, but my god that could be fun!

Run time irrelavent, but would be fun doing somethign like mayhem with every rider riding round with what looks like car full bams running off laptop batteries all night 🙂

Viewing 31 posts - 41 through 71 (of 71 total)

The topic ‘Trout light mk2 – good idea or a waste of time’ is closed to new replies.