Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Trousertrackworld – commute-proof but smart work trousers
  • MrGreedy

My bike commute is only a couple of miles each way so I ride in my work gear. One downside to this is that I wear out office trousers fairly regularly (they all wear through at the seat where they’ve rubbed on the saddle). I’ve changed saddle to mitigate this as much as possible and tried various different materials but they all go the same way eventually.

Any other commuters have recommendations for something a bit more durable or should I just resolve myself to regular visits to M&S?

TheSanityAssassin

simonbea
    Free Member

Or just change into trousers in work?

chrisdw
    Free Member

I know I posted one of their products in another thread, but try Rohan. Not cheap but seem to do what you want. They make a lot of chino-esque trousers made from decent fabric.

wiggles
    Free Member

My commute is only 2 miles and I change fully… I am pretty unfit (read: fat) so sweat quite a lot but i can’t imagine not changing/washing before sitting down at my desk.

Surely a pair of bike shorts and 2minute to change everyday would save all the work trousers?

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Tweed is hardwearing. If you can find something in a subtle check then go for that. Or look at some of the herringbone pattern wool trousers.

whippersnapper
    Free Member

I wear various Carhartt trousers (more because I know they fit me quite well) and they seem reasonably hardy. They are not smart smart though.

Markie
    Free Member

If you’re a 32 waist 34 leg then I have a pair of these (well, almost these, mine are gen2 OGs, not gen 4 as shown) you could have:

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/new-og.html

Only wore them about five times before my office work days ended and I moved to chinoland.

joolzed
    Free Member

If you don’t mind a wee bit of reflective stuff on the legs then check out Keela Road Runners…. ;0)

woody2000

What about some of those Altura Metro jobbies?

Linky

bellefied
    Free Member
    drlex
    Free Member

I have the Union34 trews – currently a bargainacious £20 at Rutland cycling. Only had them a fortnight, so can’t comment on longevity, but comfortable & some degree of water-repellency. Despite what the blurb says, the pairs I have come up larger than marked.

MrGreedy

Far more sensible replies there than I expected – thanks. Sadly my 32 inch waist days are behind me so I’ll have to pass on your offer Markie, but I’ll check the other suggestions out.

As for changing at work, I really CBA with the faff (carrying stuff in or finding somewhere to store it) for such a short commute. Getting sweaty has never been a problem, on the rare occasions in the height of summer when I might get a bit warm I’ll just ride slower.

Militant_biker

I’ve got some of those Outlier trousers. Very good they are too. I did use to use them for the full 6 miles to the station, and then for a mile at the other end, as there were no changing facilities. These days I only really ride in them when I’m going between sites – so 5 minute rides.

But they come in right handy after a post work pint, and I can’t be bothered to change in the pub for the ride home.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Trousertrackworld – commute-proof but smart work trousers’ is closed to new replies.