Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Trouser Longevity
  • wool

So how long should they last ? No house building and all that but just kicking about kinda thing.Got pairs that are still going strong after 10years and having just parted with £60 for a pair. #firstworldproblems

Yak

Usually rotate 2-3 pairs of jeans at a time. Typical life per pair is 12-18 months.

Proper trousers for meetings etc – 10 years.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I wear shorts 99% of the time (happily including work) and not that long. I refuse to spend more than a tenner or so. Tesco cargo shorts are my current favourites. About 10 months seems the norm before the pockets go. They’re all a little discoloured / faded in the saddle due to, well, saddles. Seem to have a worn triangle under most of them where I’m riding my bike around.

ads678

Jeans tend to last me about a year, maybe a bit more if they’re decent. I have massive rubby together thighs so tend to wear out the crotch area.

Trousers usually last a bit longer for some reason. I usually get work trousers from M&S and they seem pretty good for only about £30.

Coyote
    Free Member

Usually have 6 or 7 pairs of decent jeans on the go. When they start getting knackered they drop to the “jobs” pile. Generally they’ll last me a few years.

Work trousers will last me a couple of years before they start to look tired. When a suit is replaced I always buy 2 pairs of trousers.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Usually rotate 2-3 pairs of jeans at a time. Typical life per pair is 12-18 months.

I usually have 4 pairs of selvage denim on the go and get at least 3-4 years out of each pair.

sandwicheater

A normally have a couple of pairs for social life and i wear through the crotch in 2-3 years.

Yak

I usually have 4 pairs of selvage denim on the go and get at least 3-4 years out of each pair.

Hmmm, [begins to think about cost/longevity factors]

Mine are cheap (£35ish) next or similar affairs. So that’s £5.83 per month per pair at best, assuming 3pairs in rotation,

Do posh jeans perform better?

alanf
    Free Member

A pair of cords have built in wear indicators.
    Perhaps you could get some and do a definitive test for us?

willard

I have jeans that are getting on for ten years old, but they are showing signs of wear*. I try and limit myself to a new pair every couple of years just so I don’t look like a tramp.

Formal trousers last as long as I can keep them. They rarely get worn.

* holes in crotch, pockets wearing out, etc

GregMay
    Free Member

Current trousers I am wearing are 13 years old (Patagonia) they are by no means my oldest pair.

I tend to try and buy something that will last – especially trousers used for climbing etc – and stray from cheap “replaceable” items. I’m also luck to be able to wear whatever I want to work. The joy of an academic environment 🙂

Yak

A pair of cords have built in wear indicators.
    Perhaps you could get some and do a definitive test for us?

I can’t. Only 6months into the current 3 jeans cycle. I wouldn’t want to cause a spike in the cost/longevity ratio by such frivolity. 😉

wrightyson
    Free Member

Work trousers, just replaced yesterday after a year. Herock brand from buildbase, they’ve put up with some serious grief but my fat arse has over the last two weeks made the undercarriage seam let go. 21 quid including vat a year ain’t bad.

gray

I always get holes in my pockets. It’s annoying. My keys aren’t very bulky or particularly pointy. Bah.

footflaps

Cycling to work wears away the crotch / seat on jeans, so they split after a few years.

I wear suit trousers about 10 times a year, so I expect to get about 50 years from them!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Trouser Longevity’ is closed to new replies.