Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • trouble with ipad mini 2
  • aw
    Free Member

I bought my daughter and my son an ipad mini 2 about 18 months ago…

My daughter’s ipad is playing up. The touch screen is erratic and sometimes does not respond but also intermittently switches screens on its own (without intervention). There is a small crack in the corner of the touchscreen which may have something to do with it. I have contacted a repairer and he advised getting a new one as a new touchscreen and labour charges would be close to replacement cost.

A replacement ipad mini 2 (handing in the old one) is £217 (Stormfront – Maidstone).

My son’s is also faulty. His cannot connect to internet even though it shows he is connected. In applications requiring an internet connection it says he is connected. Weirdly he is still receiving email (sporadically). i have not investigated this fault for repair?

Has anybody else had problems with the touch screen? any better suggestions as to have resolve either fault?

jonnyrockymountain

I’d go into an Apple Store with both, and show them your issues, although only 12 month warranty, they might do something for you??? It’s worth a try

aw
    Free Member

maybe worth a try but the ipads are both over 18 months old now?

jb72
    Free Member

If you bought them directly from Apple they will happily sort you out upto 2yrs old.

johndoh
    Free Member

Legally they should up to 5 years surely?

nealglover
    Free Member

They have both lasted up to five years.

Personally I would take them both to the Apple Store, they have a good reputation for going above and beyond warranty terms, as long as you don’t storm in banging on about “rights” and making demands.

Cougar

although only 12 month warranty

Two years’ warranty with Apple. Longer if you ask nicely.

Dunno where you’ve got that figure from. SoGA says “up to” six years, but is caveated with lots of words like “reasonable.”

aw
    Free Member

well bought over the internet with the case personally engraved. The corner is damaged so not sure I will get anywhere with warranty?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Not had similar issues. My iPad1 I’ve had since just after they were launched – 4 years ago now ? – with no issues. I have problems with an iPhone 4S WiFi which is a known fault with he chips but it just says no wifi.

If corner is damaged because it’s been dropped then Apple probably aren’t going to replace. You can sell them even partially functional for decent money as hobbists will repair them.

brassneck

A replacement ipad mini 2 (handing in the old one) is £217 (Stormfront – Maidstone).

My hardware guys at work just fixed a friends iPad 3 with exactly the first symptoms for £40 (parts cost only I think, as they are mates). It had been previously repaired, and they told me there was a subtle difference in spare parts – the cheaper ones (only by about a fiver) used a slightly thicker ribbon cable that caused the random screen presses. They replaced with their preferred part and it’s been perfect since.

I’d expect it to cost you around £60 from someone who knows what they are doing. I can’t see a Mini being massively different, screen costs are usually more for larger panels.

iolo
    Free Member

I’ll buy the iPad 2 mini op if the price is right. How much? Mail in profile.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP I would look at the prices for buying a new one from Apple or John Lewis (extended warranty) and selling the old. As I posted bear in mind if you break it by dropping it which kids are bound to do then no warranty is going to help you really.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘trouble with ipad mini 2’ is closed to new replies.