Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Troops put up in disgraceful conditions prior to Olympic security gig
  • spacemonkey

Apparently they’re being brought in on 18hr flights then put up in derelict warehouses in filthy conditions. If true (I know someone in the know) then don’t be surprised if it’s over the papers in a day or two. Another disgraceful act from the powers that be.

donsimon
    Free Member

I’m sure they’re used to it and will adapt quite quickly. The best, most professional army in the world.

spacemonkey

Hardly the point though is it.

donsimon
    Free Member

What is the point then? Were they expecting us to pay for 4* hotels?

tracknicko
    Free Member

worse than afghanistan no doubt? i’m sure they’ll get over it.

main issue seems to be the 2 hour cue for meals, and baked beans 3 times a day.

wrecker
    Free Member

What would you expect if you were asked to work there?

johnners
    Free Member

I don’t believe they’re putting troops onto Olympic security duty straight off a trooping flight so I look forward to seeing some evidence. Also, 18hrs?

grantway
    Free Member

I don’t know Spacemonky
    The Gurkha soldier i had spoken to this morning at the EXCEL Centre came from Maidstone !

Where they are being based I don’t know, but there are Two very large Ferries mored
    next to the EXCEL centre. Maybe they are on that.

winston_dog
    Free Member

Where are they flying in from that takes 18hrs?

Sounds like a complete of rubbish to me.

takisawa2

They should send all the teachers down there. They’ve six weeks to spare. 😆

[Joke, obviously.] 🙂

grantway
    Free Member

johnners – Member
    I don’t believe they’re putting troops onto Olympic security duty straight off a trooping flight so I look forward to seeing some evidence. Also, 18hrs?

They have been doing Gate and vehicle checking at the entrance to the EXCEL centre since last week.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyy struggling to give a crap (irony of posting noted) about all these Olympics going wrong threads.

Bessides, it’s the army. They’re paid to;

*be shot at
    *do what they’re told.

Both of which seem worse than having to camp inside a big empty building, so on balance this would appear to be a brilliant idea by someone, far better than making them camp at Aldershot, Sandhurst, Purbeck or somewhere like that and having to drive in on the M4 every morning adding to the traffic. And you may have noticed there’s a big event on in a few days so hotel rooms are probably at a bit of a premium when looking to house 3000 squadies.

toby1

I doubt they will be the ones moaning too much about it – they are hardened to worse I’m sure.

What I think would be valid is a bloody big payment from G4S to them directly, not skimmed by the government. ‘s only fair.

TuckerUK
    Free Member

I would imagine (with some help from Navy Commander relative) that the majority of ex. frontline grunts will be more than happy to finally move from someone where very few people want them (include the majority of the British public) to somewhere where everyone DOES want them.

jonny-m
    Free Member

The ritz!!
    [/img]

grantway
    Free Member

No Memory foam jonnym 😕

kimbers

mate who’s a copper is most upset she had her leave cancelled as she was supposed to be going on her hols !

rewski
    Free Member

I know someone in the know

is it the same person who spoon fed you this nonsense? Is it Jeremy vine?

rewski
    Free Member

I have a mate who’s sisters brother in law’s uncle is a bus driver, he’s well chuffed with his bonus and is gonna get a 3d tv and sky hd to watch the Olympics on, swings and roundabouts.

grum
    Free Member

And you may have noticed there’s a big event on in a few days so hotel rooms are probably at a bit of a premium

Hotel rooms are at a premium, probably why they are less full than in a normal non-olympic summer.

sweepy
    Free Member

Using the police and army to fill in the gaps, I thought they didn’t like the public sector.

grum
    Free Member

Yeah, lol – so the inefficient, lazy, wasteful public sector, ie the police and army have to be brought in to bail out the super-efficient private sector security company?

Who’d have thought it – perhaps the private sector isn’t actually the magical wonderland of competence and efficiency we’ve been lead to believe.

mortuk2k
    Free Member

have you ever actually been a soldier spacemonkey?
    Unless they’ve all gone soft in the last 10 years, this kind of thing is completely standard, in fact, I’d say they’re very fortunate not to be in tents.
    I know who has gone soft in the last 10 years, and it isn’t the Army 🙂

tracknicko
    Free Member

think the main thing for the lads is it aint 50 degrees c at night, and they aren’t at risk of getting shot…

ohnohesback
    Free Member

Not just the army. On South Today last night it was revealed that police around the Weymouth venue would have to make do with spartan coverted shipping containers.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Camp Bastion…

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Yeah, doesn’t sound that bad and I don’t expect the squaddies themselves will be that bothered.
    Also these stories get wildly exaggerated- there was a headline a couple of days ago about soldiers having to sleep in plastic chairs. Maybe one or two of them did but it’s a long way from that to Our Brave Boys being pi$$ed on for the Olympics and McDonalds, which is the angle these stories seem to be trying for.

I sometimes wish people didn’t try so hard to be outraged- save it for the stuff that is actually outrageous.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

kimbers – Member

mate who’s a copper is most upset she had her leave cancelled as she was supposed to be going on her hols !

Ask her how she’d feel if she was just back from Helmand, wouldn’t be staying in a hotel, wouldn’t be getting overtime and wouldn’t be getting £80 per day on top of her usual pay…AND had her leave cancelled and was supposed to be going on holiday.

DezB
    Free Member

I remember all those threads on Chinese forums 4 years ago. Man, the citizens were so concerned about their troops’ sleeping conditions.. 😆

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Ask her how she’d feel if she was just back from Helmand, wouldn’t be staying in a hotel, wouldn’t be getting overtime and wouldn’t be getting £80 per day on top of her usual pay…AND had her leave cancelled and was supposed to be going on holiday.

Ask the guys you’re talking about above how they’d feel if [insert something worse than that here].

It’s not a competition. Other people having it worse than you doesn’t mean you’ve no grounds for a moan.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Meh, as others have said its better than a foxhole. And that warehouse doesn’t look very derelict to me, maybe our expectations vary but I read derelict and think the roof has collapsed and it is dangerous to enter.

But as for not being shot at, I’m sure there are some places in London that they would get shot at and happily shoot back.

instanthit
    Free Member

My nephew, who’s currently serving in HM forces, informed me that he is booking troops into hotels because most of the bases have been shut and there is no available space for them. He said its costing the Govt. (ie us) a LOT of money. Cost cutting is soooo effective.
    Will be bringing in the troops in 5 years to sort out the NHS.

piemonster

The girlfriend works in the events industry, many of the dedicated companies that are best suited have been walking away from the Olympics as “it’s just not worth it” And more than one have gone bust as a result of the strict contractual obligations before the things even started.

Her boss was asked by a major several months ago where he could get 3000 staff, said boss replied by saying he could get 3000 people but said (in jest I add) they wont have any training or relevant qualifications. Response was “I’ll take them” You can probably guess the company involved.

I’m sure it’ll be fine, they’ll muddle through some how

retro83
    Free Member

shame g4s couldn’t have sorted out some decent accommodation for them given it was their **** up in the first place

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone know if they are going to be standing around like armed guards, or just working events like civvies in non-army uniforms?

davetrave
    Free Member

The Army’ll be OK – we always cope with sh1t accommodation, even in barracks. It’s the RAF who’ll be up in arms at the state of where they’ve got to sleep, not up to their usual standards – “why dig in when you can check in…” 😆

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They should send all the teachers down there. They’ve six weeks to spare.

😆

(I say that with a very stressed teaching better half 😉 )

slowjo
    Free Member

LOL @ Davetrave!

How’s it going? Long time no see!

davetrave
    Free Member

Alright John! In Nottingham for now – bit of a no-man’s land for MTB so laods of road instead with the odd foray in to the Peak.

Still keeping an eye on the TIMBER forum, as usual, seems to be a bit of a rollercoaster. How’s everybody down there? No doubt lots of new faces and change since my time…

seadog101

Will G4S be made to foot the bill for these guys? Their flights/travel? Their cancelled holidays and stuffed up leave?

They’ll get on with it and probably be least vocal of all the complainants.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Troops put up in disgraceful conditions prior to Olympic security gig’ is closed to new replies.