• This topic has 113 replies, 84 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by FFJA.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)
  • Trivial things that annoy you about your house
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Of course people have big problems with the plumbing or the roof etc, but this thread is about really trivial stuff.

In this house the cover on the fuse box keeps falling open. It stays up when I put it up but at some point later it falls open again.

5thElefant
    Free Member

The tsunami of shit from the manhole cover after a blockage last week has left me more traumatised than annoyed.

jimmy

White. Why did I buy a white house?

bearnecessities

Piss off, the lot of you.

scaredypants

😀

😳

instanthit
    Free Member

It’s in a cul de sac at the top of a hill, cold going down mornings, a killer after long road rides.

allthepies
    Free Member

In my living room there are two ceiling lights. One close to the door (where the double light switch is) and one further away. The light switches are “the wrong way round” in that if I want to switch on the light closest to the double light switch then I have to flick the left hand switch, which in my mind should control the furthest away light.

I’ve lived in the house for 22 years and it still bugs me (and I’ve not yet been @rsed to rewire the switch 😛 )

wanmankylung
    Free Member

The other adult that lives in it.

scotroutes

Light switch to the downstairs toilet is on the wrong wall – you can’t actually reach it once you’ve opened the door.

You can’t get from the kitchen into the dining room without closing the kitchen door first.

(It was built like this)

bedmaker

The draining board part of the sink should actually be called a pooling board.

Sinks have been made for hundreds of years and IKEA manage to make one without a fall back into the sink. 😡

cranberry
    Free Member

A tiny kitchen fitted into a decent sized room – basically before it was sold the previous owners put just enough cupboards in there to be able to say it had a kitchen.

The plan was that’d be the first thing to get changed when moving in, but there have been 4 years of other priorities popping up and putting the kitchen on the back burner.

jam-bo

Fron 9.45am to 10.15am on a Sunday my road gridlocks as the local rugby club colt training session is on.

Cue stream of 4×4’s, T5’s and audis with single child in.

Repeated at 11.30am when they all get picked up.

Flaperon

The doorway into the second bedroom is ever so slightly narrower than the master bedroom. Consequently I keep stubbing my toe on the way in.

cloudnine
    Free Member

The 2 picture lights in the lounge stopped working so i took them apart.. then forgot where i put some of the screws and now they are half dangling off the wall.

oldgit
    Free Member

In this house the cover on the fuse box keeps falling open. It stays up when I put it up but at some point later it falls open again.

Blu Tak

stumpy01

….nope….

About to start posting but realised there are too many of them and it will wind me up!

They’ll get sorted one day…

molgrips
    Free Member

The shower drips too. Not enough for you to notice when you’ve finished showering, but in the night it drips about once a minute.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Ours faces west so we don’t get the sun in the garden on an evening & my mrs thinks you can only have a BBQ in the sun.
    I may have to start having street BBQ’s.

molgrips
    Free Member

We also don’t get the sun out back in the evening. The side of the house faces south and we have a huge 3 storey wall with not a single window. Stupid bloody builders used the same plan for every house in the row, rather than fitting stairwell windows (as per the plan we actually saw) on the end one like they did at the top of the street.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

The door to the cellar is in the dining room.
    Then it’s a 90 degree turn to the stairs.
    PITA when getting bikes out.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Kitchens cheap and worn out.

Bathrooms small.

Other than that i cant complain.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

It’s too big

wallop

Too much unpainted woodwork.

ads678

The previous owners had a wall in the living room skimmed but didn’t do behind the radiator!!! Lazy bleeders!

Bregante

The effin shower screen in the effin bathroom leaks like a ****.

ebygomm
    Free Member

That it’s not possible to have conventional doorframes around most of our internal doors as the doorways are as far into the corners of rooms as possible.

Emphasised further by the two main bedrooms having a 20cm long ‘alley’ into the rooms, which also results in rooms where you need to do 10 corners when fitting coving or skirting board

Sui
    Free Member

Creaky bloody stairs..

somafunk

I have walls and doors, that may not seem trivial but it is a one bed council bungalow (semi-detached) and for a house this size to have internal doors and walls is **** stupid, No mater where i am in the house if you turn around there is a door within one step away, and that door will open into a small room that will at most take 2 or 3 steps to cross till you hit the opposite wall. An open door will butt out into the room and take up space, and the width of the internal walls take up space. I’ve removed the doors so at least that’s one less thing to piss me off and i’m about to remove the partition walls between the sitting room to hallway then hallway to kitchen – this will give me an open plan area for the above which is still less than the walk in pantry in my mates house 🙄 .

Whoever said small is beautiful wasn’t describing 1990’s council builds that’s for sure.

Squidlord
    Free Member

….nope….

About to start posting but realised there are too many of them and it will wind me up!

They’ll get sorted one day…

This.

I sometimes make big lists of Things I Am Going To Do!

Then I apply a technique I adapted from PJ O’Rourke:

maccruiskeen

Non of the light switches are quite where they should be. They’re not in weird and wacky places there just not quite where they should be. After 5 years living here I still have to pat around the walls to find them, the one at the bottom of the stairs I have to put a light on in another room otherwise I can’t find it at all.

siwhite
    Free Member

The other adult that lives in it.

This.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Then I apply a technique I adapted from PJ O’Rourke:

I have to dig that book up again!

A work of unbridled genius!

northernmatt

Lots of things annoy me about the house, many of which could be solved by me actually doing something about it. Usually though I find excuses not to, family stuff, bike stuff, rugby is on, I’m washing my hair etc.

emsz
    Free Member

there’s a ridge in the living room carpet, the sofa is saggy. and the hall wallpaper is coming off. the bathroom and my bedroom are freezing. (frost in the morning on the inside of the window 😯 )

but it’s free, and Chris is lovely ( in a far too large eats everything rugger player drunk sort of way 😆 )

bonchance
    Free Member

😀

Mine does just that – found it vented to outside at some point in the ducting – so when the wind blows – clunk. The panel fell out- and I often lay in bed – wondering who/what was downstairs!

Blutack was the cure here!

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have a large French window that leads into the garden.. There’s a small (stupidly small) when’ll on the underside of the sliding door that keeps coming off the track and jamming. If you could see the size of the sliding door you would wonder why such a small wheel would actually hold the door up never mind on the track.. 🙄

cheers_drive

The door into the living room is a French but each side is that bit too narrow to enter the room without hitting the door. A normal door with a latched side light would be so much better.

chewkw
    Free Member

The tiles in my shower keep ungluing themselves … 😡

brooess
    Free Member

It’s rented, whilst half the country appears to have applied the N+1 rule to houses instead of bikes 😯
    Not that trivial!

i_like_food

The kitchen floor tiles, which I helped choose and helped lay, are ugly. And the grouting, which I did, is rubbish. And all I can do is dislike it and think about how much it cost (too much) and how much time it took (too much).

However, before it was badly laid ugly tiles, it was carpet. In a kitchen ❓

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 114 total)

The topic ‘Trivial things that annoy you about your house’ is closed to new replies.