Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Triumph Thruxton Bike
  • big-chief-96
    Free Member

They seem VERY nice and I love that style of bike but what are they practically like? Reliability, fuel consumption, how comfortable etc. What other options are there that are similar?

I’m 16 now and am getting a 50cc but in two years if things are as they are now, I can get a brand new Triumph, BMW, Harley etc. and insure it for the same price as an old, banged out 2 doored car so for me, a bike is the way forward. Before I get to the stage of buying one I want to get familiar with brands and models etc.

So, all opinions welcome (I’m really not keen on the Sport/Racing bike look, much prefer more old school style)

Cheers

Northwind

They’re really nice, if you like that sort of thing. Heavy, underpowered, and as fake as you like but that’s OK. Bonnie probably makes more sense as an everyday bike but isn’t quite as purty.

Or you could get an SV650 that costs less, weighs less, makes more power, and handles a little better, costs nowt to run, and less to repair when you inevitably fall off it, but won’t look or sound as cool.

Edric64
    Free Member

Heavy underpowered and fake.That will be a Harley then.+1 for sv 650 though

mogrim

Kawa Ninja 250R FTW if you want cheap, but the Thruxton does look nice!

I’d go with Northwind’s advice.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

Do consider the fact that I have, (as of yet) no riding experience except round a field on an old 3/4 Honda. Will I notice how underpowered it is?

sbodle
    Free Member

I looked at one but in the end bought a Ducati Monster 695. Not based on an old bike but bags of character and good for a novice or experienced rider.

Northwind

big-chief-96 – Member

Will I notice how underpowered it is?

Nah- it’s more a matter of value, but you’re right enough, if you’re not out for performance it shouldn’t be an issue- it’ll still hustle you along.

You will probably notice the weight, though- and if you notice it at a bad moment, like trying to stop the bike falling over because you stall it, then you’ll notice it a lot 😆

But don’t be put off- there’s good reasons not to buy one but they might just not be important to you. Personally I reckon it’s a good idea to start on something cheap and indestructible though.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

I’m starting on a…. Keeway TX 50 SM. Never herd of them before but they’re cheap, to buy and insure and will do me for 2 years and then when I’m done with it sell it for maybe £500? if I look after it.

amplebrew

I owned a Thruxton for 12 months back in 2009 and it was a bike that looked much better than it rode.

It was silver with a straight through Arrow single sided exhaust which looked and sounded fantastic.

It was quite a heavy bike though which didn’t hide it’s weight well at all. You certainly couldn’t rush it into corners and it felt like it had a hinge in the middle. You had to get your speed and line set up perfectly well before a corner. That’s all very well on a road you know, but if you’re riding in a new area; it’s frustrating.

I had Hagon uprated shocks and fork springs fitted, which helped; but it was still hard work in the bends. I could imagine that a new rider could possibly get caught out purely on the bike not turning particulary well and running wide.

If you are going to use a Thruxton as a daily rider, it also might take a bit of cleaning as there is a lot of chrome and exposed engine to keep on top of.

My Thruxton never went wrong, but it gave the impression of being built down to a price; for example a lot of the chrome ‘metal’ parts are actually plastic.

To conclude, I only rode it around 600 miles in 12 months because it wasn’t a particulary enjoyable bike.

big-chief-96
    Free Member

anyone had experience with the scrambler, it’s my second favourite Triumph I can afford.

amplebrew

How about a street triple?

jota180
    Free Member

You’ll have changed your mind a few times before you get to 18

big-chief-96
    Free Member

I know, half an hour ago I was on a Harley….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Triumph Thruxton Bike’ is closed to new replies.