Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Triumph Bonneville (modern ones)
  • failedengineer

Anyone got one/any comments?

I’m thinking about chopping the Tiger 800 in for a recent T100 (EFI model). I like the retro look and the simplicity and the idea of riding more slowly. Trouble is, the list of ‘must have’ accessories and extras is huge and very, very expensive. Loud cans? Check. Lower bars and bar-end mirrors? Check. Luggage rack? check. Centre stand? Check ……..

Rubber_Buccaneer

I have one, an SE with the 17 inch cast wheels (I wanted tubeless tyres and hate cleaning spoked wheels)

I bought it because I liked the look and thought it would be a fun bike to ride without doing speeds that would get me an instant ban. I was right, I love it. Spent a week in France earlier this year and got as far south as the Millau bridge but I also use it for commuting on fine days or just as transport because I hate taking the car unless I really have to (I live on the South Coast with roads too full).

I traded an RSVR1000 to buy it as that hadn’t come out of the shed since my last track day and I don’t look like doing another for a while. The Bonneville is a big step down in speed and handling but that is a big chunk of why I find it fun. Top speed is not much over 100 and you don’t get there instantly. Handling reminds me a little of the 50cc and 125cc trail style bikes I had when I was 16-18 (mid eighties 🙁 ). It just feels so small, light and nimble I always enjoy riding it.

On the other hand, if it’s your only bike you may find the limitations annoying rather than charming after a while. I also have a big gay cruiser (Thunderbird) and sensible, top boxed up commuter (FZ6N) to choose from.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Seeing your comment on expensive accessories, this bike is the first I have spent ridiculous money on bling for. Usually I leave bikes pretty standard bar a race system, some track plastics and maybe rearsets, the Bonneville on the other hand….

Full Arrow system
    Fender eliminator (nice cast piece from America)
    Different seat
    Mini chrome indicators
    Headlamp brackets
    Ignition relocator
    Handlebars
    Bar end mirrors

I think I may be done now, maybe.

wrecker
    Free Member

PIICS. NEEDS PICS. 😀

Rubber_Buccaneer

Like I needed asking 🙂

annebr
    Free Member

I had one. Loved it.

Swapped to a tourer type bike but wish I still had my bonnie.

As was.

wrecker
    Free Member

Oh gosh. I really like that.

downshift

Similar story here; came from a KTM950SM, and various sports bikes before that. I’ve so far resisted the urge to go noisy on the exhaust front, and the mini indicators and Renthal bars were fairly cheap. Tail tidy is a sheet of ally, a lucas light and a bit of garage time. It tours fine if you can travel light…

failedengineer

There’s a company in the North east make a copy Arrow system for £300! 2-2 or 2-1. You can’t fit Renthals to a T100, they have 1″ bars. Nice mirrors are £45 each!

anagallis_arvensis

nice bikes but those little mirrors on the bar ends are just plain wrong.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Triumph Bonneville (modern ones)’ is closed to new replies.