Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • iwluap

Morning all! The headset bearings on my V1 ATR need replacing (they have for a while, I’ve just been quietly ignoring it). The top is still smooth, the bottom is fair from that and is leaking a lovely orangey ooze. Time for new. Can anyone tell me what bearings I need to get please? The top one has measurements written on the side but the bottom is too corroded to tell. Thanks in advance!

iwluap

Thanks DezB! Much appreciated!

Chainline
    Free Member

Considering selling my Tripster 55.5 V1 for a V2. Nothing whatsoever wrong with it, just built an AT for a friend and despite hating the internal routing it has merits when using a frame bag.

Any sage on used pricing. Frame and Fork, both perfect and mint. Steerer full length as spacers on top don’t offend me!

If its not half reasonable I’ll just get some post mount RX4s…

huckersneck
    Free Member

badstoob

The orange and green frames will come with the new fork from August apparently.

Could explain why Merlin in particular are selling off frames pretty cheaply at present?

Also, the geometrygeeks site has a 2019 tripster listed with an accompanying image seemingly showing the new frame/fork combo:

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/kinesis-tripster-at-2019/

2019 tripster frameset?

If the fork is the same as for the straight pronged full bike version of the tripster they’re doing then it seems to offer an advantage in tyre clearance, on paper at least, as it will supposedly give 47mm over the 45mm of Kinesis’s own curved fork.

huckersneck
    Free Member

Sorry, I meant to write clearance for 47/45mm tyres, as I’m sure you’ve all guessed.

scruff
    Free Member

Are the merlin frames V2?

slackboy

treated my V1 to some tanwall tyres

huckersneck
    Free Member

Is it the AT or ATR that have a propensity for cracking? And early versions only?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Took my V1 – and from recollection, it was one of the first to arrive – past 14,000 miles this week. Nice little gravel / lanes tour around the Lakes. Still absolutely love riding it, it’s ridiculously capable, fun and reliable. It’s still on its original headset, though had mudguards on from day one. Currently sporting Hope RX4s, 38mm Specialized tyres on Hope 20Five wheels, Ultegra / XT mix with a Roadlink helping the 11-40T cassette.

convert

So the Tripster ATR V3 has been launched this weekend. Looks good. Not sure radically different to the V2 apart from around the seat tube/ seat stay/ top tube interface and that fork which has now got the flexibility in terms of use that the frame should have always had. Price makes my eyes water more than a little but I might (might) reward myself for getting out on the bike and back into shape again (when the job is done).

So…..if this was your only drop bar bike (with a FS mtb and a heavyweight world traveller flat bar tourer also in the shed) that you would use for every kind of road riding save racing and every kind of off road riding (inc bike packing) you’d expect to use a gravel bike on…..what would be your ultimate drive train be? And then the ‘championship’ priced version rather than premier league version. Not ventured into 1X or electronic gearing yet but more than happy to thing this is way ahead. My current bike that does the same kind of job is 3X9 with an xt trekking chainset with is soooo turn of the millennium darrrling.

Trying to work out what my dream bike for the foreseeable will cost. And the last bike I buy before I drop many leagues in disposable income (but get promoted many leagues in disposable time, geography and lifestyle).

null

convert

No love for the Tripster any more?

DezB
    Free Member

Certainly still loving my V1… just about to go for a ride on it 🙂

Oh, I see the photo of the V3 now. Looks lovely. Big fat ol tyres and a non-embossed head badge eh… could never afford one now, but at least I don’t need to dream too hard 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

went out this weekend twice on my V1 – haven’t ridden for ages because of niggly knee issues.

Also first ride since I destickered the frame, looks much nicer 🙂

Need to change the drivetrain I think – it’s a CX 46/36 front which is OK but the back is a wide ratio cassette with an XTR deraileur and smaller jockey wheels which is a bit fiddly to dial in right.

Maybe the cables could do with some lube as well.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

No love for the Tripster any more?

I enjoyed mine while I had it but moving from the Tripster to a Bokeh was a huge step up in enjoyment. The newer Tripster looks good but I’m guessing it’s pretty expensive for a frameset?

I know they’re Ti frames but I can honestly say that I’ve never noticed any difference between Ti, steel or Ali frames so paying a premium for a Ti frame is pointless for me.

DezB
    Free Member

noticed any difference between Ti, steel or Ali frames so paying a premium for a Ti frame is pointless for me

I presume you’re talking about the ride… cos there are other things different you know. Like how perty they are 🙂

brassneck

Purdy is good .. still love mine. Just about to get the 46/36 chainset and cross wheelset ‘winter mode’ on.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

What stem length are you guys running on a 54cm ATR frame please? Seem to remember hearing/reading that it benefits from having a shorter one (70mm??)

DezB
    Free Member

100mm on mine.

cr500dom
    Free Member

I still love my Mk1
    I`ll check stem length later

eshoote
    Free Member

With my new Tripster ATR V3 built up a month ago now I thought I’d share my thoughts. It has moved on quite a bit from the V2 and solved all the small niggling issues the V2 had. I’ve been very impressed and super pleased with the build I went with and the new longer geo lets you run a shorter stem to help it off road. Have a read of the blog hereTripster ATR V3

w00dster

Great write up and a fantastic looking build. Normally find 60cm bikes look somewhat ungainly and untidy, but yours is spot on.
    Just need to win the lottery and get one myself!

DrP

My V2 is still going strong… it had been locked up in the ex’s garage for a year or so, but finally got the space to get her back… Lovely getting back on a nice light rapid road bike!

Stuck the aero bars on it for a different position as want to get some longer rides under my belt – feel pretty good TBH.

Can’t wait for the summer 🙂

DrP

eshoote
    Free Member

I think it just about looks OK in 60cm with these 650b but certianly 700c makes it look properly proportioned in a larger size! Love the fact a Tripster can hit a red MTB trail like the ride in my pic or just as comfortable on road with aero bars!

DezB
    Free Member

My V2 is still going strong

I should bloody hope so. My V1 is!
    (ps. there’s a v3?!)

DrP

hmm.. my V1 died.
    My FIRST V2 had poor QC…
    So V2V2 is still going strong 🙂

DrP

slackboy

A combination of too much time and some cheap RS785 Di2 shifters meant that I’ve treated my V1 tripster to electronic shifting.

After much research I managed to figure a way to hide the battery in the headtube so it looks fairly unobstrusive even without internal cable routing.

Daffy

Nicely done.

Vortexracing

Thumbs up to that :-), looks great

unclezaskar
    Free Member

Nice bit of work on making the Di2 integration look neat

I have had my ATR V3 for 2 months now and loving it – mixing it up with both road miles and plenty of byway and bridleway action. Lovely ride and really versatile. Built mine with GRX 810/600 mix and Hunt wheels

chompy
    Free Member

hoping the tripster hive-mind can help…

Building up a v2 and waiting on wheels arriving. Have choice of post mount or flat mount brakes-would probably prefer to use the post mount ones with converter.

So my question is… Does this mean I’d need 160mm rotors vs 140mm for the flat mount?

slackboy

the parts list says its a 160mm adaptor

TRIPSTER-ATR-V2-FRAME-PARTS.pdf (kinesisbikes.co.uk)

no bad thing having 160mm rotors on the tripster

chompy
    Free Member

brilliant, thanks very much! some contradictory posts out there saying flat mount is either 140 or 160 so wasn’t sure.

trailwagger
    Free Member

Could try on the FB owners group?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1036692283423792

the_lecht_rocks

apologies to revive the thread.
    back on my V1 Tripster ATR, been running excellent Panaracer 700x38c GravelKings.
    can anyone advise maximum tyre width successfully used on their V1 ?
    tia.

Vortexracing

I run WTB Nano’s @ 40mm and they JUST fit, I would run a 35 – 38mm tyre for more mud room this time of year TBH

marvincooper

Max I’ve run is 43mm Bontrager GR1. Really like these tyres for summer but a bit tight for mud in winter, would agree Nano’s in 40 are fine.

slackboy

I’m running 42 resolutes right now and there’s still plenty of clearance.

the_lecht_rocks

@slackboy; is that a V1 ATR ?

jimmy

Does anyone know if these tyres will fit in a Tripster v1?

https://www.thebiketyreshop.com/continental-speed-ride-tyre

Viewing 40 posts - 2,681 through 2,720 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.