Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • atrthanks
    Free Member

Have been offered a really good deal on the last set of R785 Di2 road shifters in a LBS.

You can use any Di2 shifters with any mech, but you can’t mix and match the front and rear mech – they both have to be road or both XTR.

Has anyone tried a Tripster frame using a XTR Di2 front mech with a road compact double?

Or, has anyone tried using a Di2 road rear mech with a 11-32 cassette on a Tripster? Apparently max cassette size depends in part on the dropouts and length of the mech hanger so it is frame specific.

acyclistforlife
    Free Member

Hi. Doing a tour so thinking about the Tubus Airy on my Tripster (54cm). I’m sure its on here somewhere, but has anyone used Ortlieb Back Roller Panniers on this exact set-up – does it work? I’ve been told the heel clearance is dodgy. Thanks!

somafunk

I use front roller panniers with my tubus airy, I’m not 100% on this but i recall reading through some posts on the various touring websites that you can use the back roller panniers but the stability is somewhat compromised as they sit rather higher on the airy. What about using a bar bag as well as a frame bag (alpkit/apidura etc) with the front rollers – that’s quite a bit of luggage capacity to fill?.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    dmc
    Free Member

Have been offered a really good deal on the last set of R785 Di2 road shifters in a LBS.

You can use any Di2 shifters with any mech, but you can’t mix and match the front and rear mech – they both have to be road or both XTR.

Has anyone tried a Tripster frame using a XTR Di2 front mech with a road compact double?

Or, has anyone tried using a Di2 road rear mech with a 11-32 cassette on a Tripster? Apparently max cassette size depends in part on the dropouts and length of the mech hanger so it is frame specific.

Running 11×32 on a 36 x52 chainset no problems long cage mech, for the last 12 months never missed a beat !!! Drilled the frame to suit again no problems dc

atrthanks
    Free Member

Running 11×32 on a 36 x52 chainset no problems long cage mech, for the last 12 months never missed a beat !!! Drilled the frame to suit again no problems dc

What did you have to drill? Mounting points for the battery holder? Or the hanger?

dmc
    Free Member

Drilled the frame for the wires to run internal di2

hummerlicious
    Free Member

@acyclistforlife I have the tubus airy ti and use backrollers on it. They work really well.

Kinesis Tripster ATR by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

charliemort

Anyone able to compare one of these to a Fargo ? Fargo obviously a bit more off road / bigger tyres etc

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Have just replaced my Tripster fork with an ENVE cross disc thru axle fork – anyone require a spare/replacement Tripster fork – £50. Thought I’d try here first before the sale forum for a targeted audience.

STATO
    Free Member

hummerlicious – Member

@acyclistforlife
    I have the tubus airy ti and use backrollers on it. They work really well.

hummerlicious, you do realise you have your rear light mounted upside down?

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’d be interested in the fork.. Please send me some photos to email on my profile

hummerlicious
    Free Member

The dynamo cable won’t let me put it the other way @stato

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Cloudnine – Pics of the fork emailed to you, also have the following for sale if anyone is interested:

Thomson Carbon Road bars 31.8 clamp area 46cm wide (black)
    Thomson Elite seat post black 31.6 dia x 350mm long (black)
    Thomason X4 stem 0 degree x 70mm long (black)
    TRP spyres (including used discs)
    Prologo Scratch Knack carbon frame saddle (black)
    Fabric Scoop flat race saddle (white)
    Cannondale bar tape + plugs (white)
    Campag Centaur BB 111mm Eng thread

takeiteasy
    Free Member

Hi all, Just in the middle of building up a new Tripster ATR – very excited! Anyway, I’m about to fit SKS Bluemel 45 mudguards (which say good for 700 x 28-38). However, I was hoping to buy X’plor MSO 40 tyres. Anyone know whether they’ll be enough clearance? Otherwise I’ll have to rethink tyre choice. (My choice was based on something highly versatile for a mix of road and bridle path/light trail, as most of my routes will be 2/3rds roads in order to get to any exciting off road areas). And I’d like the guards for commuting. Cheers!

somafunk

I imagine they’ll be a tight fit over the MSO’s, i used to run sks chromoplastics 700c – 28/38mm width 45mm with my 40mm MSO’s and they were snug to the point of every little stone picked up by the tyres used to rattle inside them, and for muddy use they clog/drag a wee bit.

Can you return them and pick up a set of PDW Full Metal Mudguards instead?, i use these on my tripster and there’s enough clearance over 40mm tyres despite PDW saying they recommend a max of 35mm

PDW Full Metal Mudguards

PDW extra long rear stay

Good tyres btw but i found the SKS mudguards often broke when used off road – no probs at all with the PDW guards when used with the longer rear stay (you have to buy this extra)

Using on-one gravel road in pic above, current set-up

Using Compass tyres Barlow Pass in pics above

takeiteasy
    Free Member

Thanks, Somafunk. It’s what I feared. But those PDW fenders are a very elegant solution.

somafunk

And i’ve found the on-one gravel road tyres to be just as good as the Clement MSO’s, seeing as they are only £15 they are a bit of a bargain, they set up tubeless easy and never leak pressure from the sidewalls (i do use 50ml of sealant in them) – very easy rolling/supple on the road with more grip off road than the mso’s.

cinnamon_girl

PDW extra long stays seem to be out of stock/discontinued everywhere. Is there an alternative?

DrP

Somafunk…I’ve just ordered some of the one one tyres, cheers.
    My WTB CX tyres have several thousand miles in them and are looking pretty thread bare!

DrP

Andy

As C_G says is there anywhere that actually has stock of the PDW long stays? 🙁

jobro
    Free Member

Sorry – another mudguard question.
    Came back from a 60 miler today on Tarka Trail in North Devon and I was covered (dripping) with mud over the back. Grud Guards style fenders clearly not working so I’m going to try and fit “proper” guards, probably PDW type. I run 40mm WTB Nano races.
    My question is: have any of you had problems with them blocking up with mud/grass/general trail crap when used off road.
    Thanks

acyclistforlife
    Free Member

Thanks hummerlicious – that’s really good to know – nice looking set-up you’ve got there! I think that’s what I’ll go for too. Thanks for your suggestion as well somafunk – that was the other set-up I was thinking about. Time to do some thinking…

DrP

The dynamo cable won’t let me put it the other way @stato

Eh…?! Surely all you need to do Jim is to flip the mount over, even if the cable still points down??

DrP

swlbos
    Free Member

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Yes DrP, I did realise after I posted that he was actually talking about the mount!

root-n-5th
    Free Member

Hello all,

I’ve been admiring the tripster atr for a couple of years now but have never forked out the dosh and bought one. I did, however, build up a cotic escapade frame into an adventure style bike last year and I like it a great deal. But I can’t help thinking the tripster might be better.

Has anybody ridden both frames so they can offer a direct comparison?

Cheers,
    Sam

whitecitadel
    Free Member

What an epic thread… and a great looking frame, you should all be on commission as I am sold!

I like the look of the revised version though, has anyone heard any more about when it will be available? I saw May on twitter?

Although, a good price on the original could also persuade me 😉

slackboy

Well its taken my a while to join the party, but i’ve just bought a tripster frame from probikekit (with an extra 10% off code +quidco cashback, bargain fans) that I’m very much looking forward to building up.

I’ve got the crosslight wheels, will probably go for a 105 hydro groupsset from merlin but can anyone recommend some finishing kit (seat post, bar etc) for a more road biased build.

I’m probably going to go with 32mm gatorskins, unless anyone has another recommendation?

takeiteasy
    Free Member

Hi

@Slackboy: Just done the same from Probikekit. Great price. Building it up right now. My emphasis is on a highly versatille light-ish road machine. Plan to venture off road when poss – but not much opportunity local to me). My priority was comfort. I’ve chosen Deda Elementi superleggaro carbon seatpost (27.2), superleggaro road stem and zero100 road bars. Looks fantastic as a set – understated and stylish. Naturally very light, stiff, built well too – but I’ll let you know about the true ride / take pics in a few days when complete. Was tempted to combine with superleggara carbon road bars, but as I intend to use off road too, too many (wise) riders advised against it. Instead I’ve gelled the bars and added thick tape.

@Whitecitadel: Before going ahead a couple of weeks ago I spoke to Upgrade bikes about the upcoming ATR. Thankfully (for my wallet) they’re expecting it to be much later in the year. And while it’s new and improved with thru-axel rear and internal cabling / Di2 friendly, it’ll be more pricey than the current offering. For my needs, preferred to enjoy the current ATR right away , and save £ in the process.

So excited – itching to take my first ride 😉

atrthanks
    Free Member

That 105 groupset is a pretty good deal – nearly £200 cheaper than the Merlin Ultegra group. ( https://www.merlincycles.com/shimano-ultegra-6800-disc-brake-groupset-83417.html )

Are you going to use a flat-mount adapter? And if so, which one?

slackboy

Good question. I hadn’t noticed that the 105 group set had flat mount brakes!

slackboy

@takeiteasy
    Thanks for that, put some pictures up when its done

whitecitadel
    Free Member

@slackboy @takeiteasy – how did you find “probikekit” to deal with ok? I saw their price earlier in the week, missed that 10% deal thanks for heads up! 😀

Just a word of caution for those frame shopping, I found a great price at “raceview cycles” for under £1300 plus 10% off… but they are registered in Ireland and some googling seems to suggest from a thread on another forum they are the new name for shiny bikes – which it looks like other people earlier in the thread did not have a good experience with. Caveat Emptor.

@takeiteasy I had the same conversation with Upgrade Bikes as well, but they have stock to shift dont forget… Kinesys twitter account said May FYI.

I really like the 142×12 as its becoming a standard and works well on my carbon MTB, the rear caliper mount inside the frame triangle is much neater and avoids rack mounting compatibility issues, and for some reason with my delusional dreams of touring I seem to think I need the 3rd bottle bosses for a fuel bottle. I am 100% with you on the £££ saving though of current frameset. I think the new one will either come with a more expensive 100×12 fork, or will come with no fork so you can choose the one that suits you from the Kinesys range. There is no dynamo hub in 100×12 I notice, but SP and SON do one in 15mm.

@slackboy The 105 groupset has the RS505 brakes not the BR-RS685 in the Ultegra by the way. v2 fork (at least on the pics I have seen) appears to have post mount not IS mount like the current fork.

I am building up a component list to build one, I can see as I am pretty set on hydraulic its going to cost me a lot more than I first planned… so torn now between saving money on current frameset or just going all in and waiting for the updated one…

jimmy

V2 won’t be out til May.

I’m just building mine up. Got the same deal from Merlin (20% off effectively) back in Jan. Only got to building on Monday to find the headset wasn’t in the box. One email and follow up call later and there’s one in the post. No questions, great service. Will have pictures next week.

Bregante

Just a word of caution for those frame shopping, I found a great price at “raceview cycles” for under £1300 plus 10% off… but they are registered in Ireland and some googling seems to suggest from a thread on another forum they are the new name for shiny bikes –

Interesting. Raceview Cycles came up as by far the cheapest option for some road bike parts I was after last week. I decided against them in the end because there was a half chance that I would be returning something if it wasn’t right. Never heard a good word about Shiny Bikes tbh.

slackboy

how did you find “probikekit” to deal with ok?

Good so far. My initial order was cancelled because I’d over written the house number. Phoned straight through to a real person who was helpful and got the issue sorted. the frame is being ordered in rather than from stock so I’m expecting it to be shipped around 1st march.

They are part of a larger company (The Hut) so I’m fairly confident about the service.

@Jimmy, I went into Merlin on monday after work to see if they’d do a deal on the frame but they wouldn’t move. Found the probikekit offer quite by chance.

@whitecitadel – I’m not sure about going hydraulic now that I can’t use that 105 groupset deal. I’ve already got a 105 groupset on my bike so the sensible thing would be to strip it and just get some TRP spyres

slackboy

Re Race view cycles – the registered company is Raceview EquestrianLtd the Director is Dawn Wilson.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/NI631676/officers

Shiny Bikes director was Fraser Wilson.https://companycheck.co.uk/company/05833543/SHINY-BIKES-LTD/directors-secretaries

The operate out of the same trading address by the look of it.

whitecitadel
    Free Member

@jimmy can I ask where you heard May for v2? (Read the same on twitter, see above).

@slackboy the 105 brakes fit with an adapter I thought? (Ok, defintly the rear I am now wondering about the front IS?)

Shame the £/€ is tanking, when I built MTB last summer got quite a few parts in from Germany saving some cash.

takeiteasy
    Free Member

Good experience of probikit. They’re been much slower in sending things out and receiving returns than Wiggle. Chainreaction or Merlin though. Nevertheless they’ve been very good on the phone and they were 10% cheaper than anyone else for th frame. Note that Crosslight V4 wheels at Wiggle currently 25% off and the Shimano RT685 hydraulic dual shifter set post or flat mount caliper options are 300 at probikit . Not bad at all. From recollection, my frame and forks all post mount. V2 is flat mount.

whitecitadel
    Free Member

Wiggle and CRC both have the “2016” (9mm QR & 12/15mm front axle & 12×142 adapters) wheelset for £315 I noticed. Since I first tried it last year I like to build wheels, but at that price/weight its hard to justify not buying a pair (plus 240s rear hubs in centrelock with 11spd road body’s are like rocking horse poo)

Good spot on the RT685 at probikekit, if your making your first order with discount would be cheaper still.

Getting itchy credit card finger… maybe I don’t need to wait for ATR v2?… 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 2,041 through 2,080 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.