Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • mikehod67
    Free Member

Hi all, long time follower of this with interest and close ish to a decision to get one. Does anyone have a 51cm frame they could tell me the stand over measurement please?

somafunk

cinnamon_girl on here has a 51cm – I’m sure a reply will be posted soon.

See this page of the thread for standover on my 54cm

jeremydcooper
    Free Member

Hi

Tsmado please can you email details on your bike please.

Or if anyone else is looking to sell a 57 frame set or complete bike.

Cheers

cinnamon_girl

@ mikehod67 – soma is right, mine’s a 51cm. Not sure how to measure standover but took the tape measure to the top of the top tube besides the seat post, measured in a straight line to the ground and it was 74cm. Tyres are off road Conti Cross Rides, 42mm. If it’s any help I’m 5’5″ with long legs. Shout if you need any more numbers!

mikehod67
    Free Member

Many thanks Cinnamon Girl, I’m 5’7″ with inside leg of 30″. The rest of the measurements are pretty much as my current bike, do you think I would get away with it? Other comments have said how longer they feel so didn’t want to go 54 with such a wide range of rider height of not needed.

somafunk

I’m 5ft 6″ (used to be a few inches taller but lost height in spine) with an inside leg of 32″ and i went for the 54″ as it had a higher front end so i’d not have to put up with a 51″ with stacks of spacers under the stem to get the front end to a height where i’d be comfortable, i run an 80mm stem on mine but on advice from Dom & Rory at upgrade they recommended running with a shorter stem anyway.

cinnamon_girl

Mmmm, really wouldn’t like to guess. What will you be using it for?

somafunk

There’s plenty of us with them – whereabouts are you as it may be easier for you to throw a leg over one to try it for size beforehand.

cinnamon_girl

Close your eyes soma, you won’t like the spacers!!

I’m very short in the body hence the set up.

somafunk

Sod the spacers….look at the state of your lawn 😯 …..ferchrisakes get it sorted with an edging cut at least

😉

cinnamon_girl

😆 That was me upsetting the locals in a posh village, oh look a bag lady has arrived. 😆

cloudnine
    Free Member

Any Tripster riders going to battle on the beach this year?

mboy
    Free Member

VERY late to the party, but had the pleasure of building this up for a friend’s Wedding gift 6 months ago… And yes, he’s quite tall!

somafunk

Zero spacers?.. chapeau to his flexability – you’d have to snap me in half to get me onto the top of the bars never mind the drops

mikehod67
    Free Member

Will be using it for winter bike, cross for fun not race and light touring. I think it could be the bike eventually with enough wheels.
    Somafunk when I say 5 7 that’s if it’s warm and I’m expanded to full height, equally short arms.

mikehod67
    Free Member

I’m close to Sheffield but travel everywhere north of for work if that helps.
    Thanks for all the help by the way.

atrthanks
    Free Member

There’s plenty of us with them

No kidding, there were three Tripsters (out of about 10 bikes) on my Audax last weekend.

Most of the rest were Genesis of some description 😀

mboy
    Free Member

Zero spacers?.. chapeau to his flexability – you’d have to snap me in half to get me onto the top of the bars never mind the drops

He’s 6ft6 but very flexible. His Scott road bike head tube is about 20mm shorter than on his Tripster, run with no spacers and a -10deg stem. He was investigating looking at a -17deg stem for his Tripster a while ago to get the front end even lower!

atrthanks
    Free Member

bluesmartie: I have the first every pair of Mason X Hunt 4 seasons wheels on my Tripster ATR you won’t be disappointed.

I took them out for a test run yesterday, fitted with tubeless Sector 28s, and they are lovely.

The new set up is much more comfortable and seems to be more efficient (not least because of the removal of 1/2kg of rotating weight) – new PRs all over the place, including up Swain’s Lane.

ATRthanks – re tyres, off-road I use 42mm Continental Crossrides, which I’m really pleased with.

Cheers! I will take a look at fitting them to my old Kinesis wheelset for off-road use. Have you managed to squeeze them under mudguards?

hausnfranz
    Free Member

I picked up a pair of the Widget mudguards as seen on the previous page (part reflective on the road Ti frame), and while the larger size is advertised as fitting 28mm – 45mm tires, the rear does not fit my Tripster with Nano40c. Front is OK.

Can anyone recommend mudguards that would fit 40?

I am mostly running Gatorskins 32c on the road, so they will work for that.

Should one even be using mudguards for lots of off-road or just suck it up and get muddy, or move to MTB guards?

EDIT: When I removed the fenders I replaced the cap-head bolts into the two rear mounting positions just to plug the holes – it turns out one of those bolts was rubbing the 40c tire, so that may be the issue. Can anyone recommend a type of screw which has a flatter head – is there something specific that should be used for bicycles? Is there some bad karma around philips or flathead VS hex?

bumpy
    Free Member

Has anyone tried using the Tripster for any CX racing?
    I’m currently undecided between two different frames to build up and I want to use it for winter road riding, longer distance off-road stuff and possibly one or of the summer CX races.

somafunk

Can anyone recommend a type of screw which has a flatter head?

I use ti brake rotor bolts for the inside of my PDW guards where they attach to the seat stay bridge and chain stay bridge and no rubbing at all/plenty of clearance for 40mm tyres, similar to these ones

bumpy
    Free Member

Does anyone in the Surrey/Berkshire/North Hampshire area by any chance have a Tripster in a 55.5cm or 57cm that they’d be happy to let me swing a leg over to try it out for size?

So far I’m not having much luck locating a demo bike anywhere.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’ve got a 54cm in sussex if that helps bumpy

curto80
    Free Member

Bumpy if you can make it as far as Winchester on a Saturday morning you’d be welcome to demo mine (55.5cm). Would be happy to go out for an hour with you (I’ll ride my other bike) so you can get a proper demo.

STATO
    Free Member

New ATR has been released… flat disc mount, 142mm dorpouts and internal cable routing.

Info and pics from.. road.cc article

jobro
    Free Member

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the advantages of flat disc mounts?

STATO
    Free Member

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the advantages of flat disc mounts?

Its the way road disc calipers are going, so soon groupsets will come with those calipers as standard, rendering post mount frames obsolete (unless you switch the calipers out).

Advantages, lighter (maybe), smaller to look better, err.. lighter?

bumpy
    Free Member

Thanks for the offers of demo’s on folks bikes, it’s much appreciated. Looks like the 55.5cm will be the best size for me so curto80 I may be in touch soon!

jobro
    Free Member

Its the way road disc calipers are going, so soon groupsets will come with those calipers as standard, rendering post mount frames obsolete (unless you switch the calipers out).

Thanks. I had a chat with a Pinarello dealer recently about should I/shouldn’t I go for a road bike with discs and he said that most major bike manufacturers are working on road discs that move away from heavy mtb style calipers and are looking at systems built into the frames with bladder driven light weight pads.

Will be interesting

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

why 142mm dropouts ?

andyfla
    Free Member

Please excuse my ignorance, but what are the advantages of flat disc mounts

Neater and lighter are about the only advantage I could see and I decided not to go for them as they only do 140mm rotors and I decided to have 160’s to give myself a bit more stopping power

STATO
    Free Member

I decided not to go for them as they only do 140mm rotors and I decided to have 160’s to give myself a bit more stopping power

[cough]adaptor[/cough]

why 142mm dropouts ?

Again, thats what all the wheels are coming with now, they are doing dropouts for 135QR too as they are just bolt on.

(there is also a switch to using a 100×12 on the front too, im not sure if the supplied fork is using that or the current 100×15?).

andyfla
    Free Member

[cough]adaptor[/cough]

I did think about it, but then why have an adaptor on something that is supposed to be sleek and sveltlike ? 😀

mikehod67
    Free Member

Can anyone that owns a Tripster give me the rough standover height for the 54, i’m a 30 inside leg. In South Yorks if there’s any chance of throwing a leg over one.
    Thanks in advance

royalv2
    Free Member

Cheers! I will take a look at fitting them to my old Kinesis wheelset for off-road use. Have you managed to squeeze them

ATRthanks – I did try some SKS thermoplastics; they fitted in, but they rubbed. I use crudcatcher mtb type ‘mudguards’ for off road. But then I come from the mtb side of the house!

somafunk

mikehod67 see my post on page 58 of the thread

Rik
    Free Member

Just bloody buy it Mike!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Im about to get some new Schwalbe pro ones to run tubeless but cant decide between 25 and 28c… will 28c be much slower if at all?

llatsni
    Free Member

Apparently the bigger Ones are faster!

Viewing 40 posts - 2,001 through 2,040 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.