Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • somafunk

artemha :

Dia 1 : 35mm
    Dia 2 : 40mm
    Dia 3 : 19mm tapering to 15.5mm nr rear disc mount

Axle to crown : about 402mm

MussEd : We’re not a cult….but you will need to drink the Kool-Aid to join us 😀

dodgy
    Free Member

Easily longer than 5 minutes to install PDW mudguards, I have them on my Tripster and I reckon I’m competent with tools. Yes, they’re easier than SKS Chromoplastics as the stays are telescopic so there’s no trimming, but 5 minutes?

No. Absolutely not.

firestarter
    Free Member

After the initial install it’s easily done minutes. How long can it take to remove 7 Allen bolts?? Anyway mines not on a tripster as I said many tripster owners are a bit crap at general spannering 😉

somafunk

It’s to be dry all week so i removed my pdw guards,

I’m enjoying this game, I’ll time myself when it comes to refitting them.

😉

dknwhy

Same issues with the kinesis wheels for me. Nipples seized and a spoke broke when the shop were truing them.
    I’ve ordered some Hope Alpha wheels for the road and I’ll use the kinesis ones off road until they fail.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Wow.. seems like quite a lot of nipple problems.
    Ive got 2 sets of kinesis wheels.. Is it worth replaceming the nipples before they seize? Any recommendations for nipples?

dknwhy

Any recommendations for nipples?

Must resist…. 😆

matts
    Free Member

Has anyone managed to fit full-length mudguards and an 11-speed Shimano groupset (e.g., 5800) to a Tripster ATR?

Here’s my Tripster with 5800 mech, 42mm SKS guards fitted over 32mm tyres. Loads of clearance

matts
    Free Member

Matts.. Im suprised they havent set your thumb in the cast to stop any movement.

Its a **** of a bone to break… hope it heals fast (its got a very bad blood supply) and you get back riding before christmas

Thanks. Luckily it’s a non-displaced fracture across the corner of the metacarpel end. Should only be in cast for 6/7 weeks.

Still bloody painful thought. 🙁

splorer

Can someone tell me the stand over height on a 57cm? I think I am between sizes

DezB
    Free Member
    zakalwe
    Free Member

Here’s my Tripster with 5800 mech, 42mm SKS guards fitted over 32mm tyres. Loads of clearance

Perfect, thanks! This sets my mind at ease 🙂

zakalwe
    Free Member

On the topic of sizes, I’m also between a 55.5cm and a 57cm frame – can anyone comment on how the sizing compares with other road bikes?

I’m 182cm, so the size chart says a 57cm would be best for me. But the 57cm road bike I do have is too big, and in my experience 56cm is better for me.

So should I just go with a 55.5cm frame and ignore the sizing chart, or does the Tripster have a funny geometry that means I should size up?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I reckon 55.5 to get the standover – I think the sizing chart is more like road sizing and doesn’t account for the standover for offroad.

for instance, the bike was supposed to be designed for a shorter stem, I think 70mm was mentioned on the video interview. That’s probably right as the bike is slack and the steering is a bit slower than normal with a long stem.

But I wouldn’t want any less standover on my 54 and I have a 100mm stem. (I do have an inline seatpost though).

So look at the standover heights – and consider that the standover will be a fraction less if you put on fat 40c tires.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Question for somafunk-

about fitting your plug to carbon forks. I’d like to know more…

Considering this myself, noticed your email is in your profile so will drop you a line as not sure how often you checj in in this thread (although most tripster owners do seem to be fairly evangelical/keen so maybe this post is enough 😉

curto80
    Free Member

Zakalwe I ride a 57cm road bike but sized down to 55.5 on the Trippy and it’s spot on.

zakalwe
    Free Member

I reckon 55.5 to get the standover – I think the sizing chart is more like road sizing and doesn’t account for the standover for offroad.

Zakalwe I ride a 57cm road bike but sized down to 55.5 on the Trippy and it’s spot on.

Thanks – 55.5cm seems like the way to go, then 🙂 How tall are you curto80, out of interest?

acyclistforlife
    Free Member

I have just been informed by the very skilled guys at my LBS during a routine service that my Tripster’s headtube is slightly ovalised (ie the forks move in the tube despite a lot of grease). I’m obviously devastated, as even though it’s still under warranty, we’ve been through a lot together! Any words of wisdom before I get on the phone to kinesis in a very grumpy way? Anyone else had this? Mine started with a clicking from the headset when hitting any rough ground, sprinting out the saddle or going over speed bumps… 🙁 🙁

Thanks!

cloudnine
    Free Member

Arent ovalized headtubes usually caused by a crash or loose headset?

Not saying that this is whats happened but what did the LBS say?

timbur
    Free Member

acfl – when you phone be nice to them. Upgrade are a top bunch and all ride themselves so will understand your frustration.

I’ve just put a Dynamo front hub on mine. Orderer XT 1×11 as well :O)

DrP

I too have just built up a dynamo wheel – stock kinesis CX rim, SP-pd8 (exposure branded) 28 hole hub.
    All build up with help from my workshop assistant…!

I’ve now 3 front wheels, 2 rear!

DrP

timbur
    Free Member

LOL – same hub but in “sensible” 32h flavour.
    Teamed up with Revo head unit.
    Might pop over to Firle tonight for a test run.

DrP

I wanted to stick with the stock rims…hence 28h..
    I’m fairly lightweight, and even when I broke 2 spokes in the surrey hills I survived on just 26! (I think I’m not dead…)

DrP

dovebiker

Ovalised headtubes happen due to heat-distortion during fabrication – normal riding wouldn’t generate the kind of forces needed to distort the metal.

acyclistforlife
    Free Member

Cloudnine – that’s what I thought, but the LBS said that it was too soon to have been that as I’ve only done 1000 miles and it was perfectly assembled originally, etc.

Timbur – don’t worry I was going to be nice, it’s not the fault of the guy on the end of the phone after all! (I meant upset grumpy not angry grumpy!)

DrP – was thinking of building that exact wheel up myself! How is it running for you (or have you not had a chance to try it yet!?) would be interested to know as I am currently hotly debating it with a friend for our next tour! 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Anyone using Reynolds Assault Discs yet?

DrP

DrP – was thinking of building that exact wheel up myself! How is it running for you (or have you not had a chance to try it yet!?) would be interested to know as I am currently hotly debating it with a friend for our next tour!

I took it out for about 50 miles on saturday – mostly off road on teh south downs…
    It’s a wheel, it goes round, it stayed true – i.e it did it’s job!

You can feel the ‘notchyness’ of the wheel when hand spinning it, but not really noticeable in use.

I’ve no concerns.

DrP

timbur
    Free Member

bb – Rory at upgrade is running a pair on his pimped out Tripster. I know he’s got a load of miles on it already. Call Upgrade to chat to him. Check the outlet as well as they had a pair in there IIRC.

atrthanks
    Free Member

Thanks to this thread I now own a 54cm Tripster with Ultegra and Shimano hydro brakes. The build is under 9kg including pedals and road wheels. 😯

Any recommendations for mudguards? I’ve seen a few people suggest SKS Chromaplastic but the set on my last bike broke quite quickly.

Asking for the impossible (in order of preference) are there any which are:

– Easy to pop on and off depending on the weather?
    – Easy to install?
    – Indestructible?
    – Low weight?

cloudnine
    Free Member

See a few pages back for the PDW full metal speed change discussion.
    Maybe not the lightest but definately the smartest most solid guards

velosam
    Free Member

What weight are your builds coming in at?

I have something similar to this but a burls ti, but with guards, dyno wheel etc it weighs about 14kg, the builds here seem much lighter and I am wondering what I am doing wrong

cheers

firestarter
    Free Member

You need some of the stand magic scales

somafunk

My tripster weighs in at 22.8 lbs or 10.35 KG, that’s with a son dynamo and lights, the pdw guards weigh in at 1.1 lbs or 500 ish grams so with those fitted it’s 24lbs/11kg give or take a gram :wink:.

All XTR shifting/gears/middleburn crankset/praxxis cassette,jones ti loop bars,ti seat post/charge spoon saddle/ti stem/all bolts on bike are ti, spyre slc brakes with paul love levers, king R45 rear hub, Son dynamo front hub built onto Velocity Aileron rims/on-one gravel tyres (tubeless),edelux front dynamo light/son rear, xtr trail pedals.

Not especially light but it’s bombproof and ultra reliable.

I could prob drop a pointless 200 grams by fitting the carbon jones bar but that’s going onto my Cove hummer when i can be arsed fiddling with gear cable/brake hoses.

(ps the scales at work are calibrated 😉 )

brassneck

Are the 45mm PDWs the flavour du jour? I assume cross tyres and mudguards won’t play well as soon you go off road, but the 30mm only seem to be for 23mm tyres.. been a long time since I’ve used them.

birdage

Tim, I’ve got a spare, funny shaped chainring in 32 flavour if you want to try it out? Presuming it works with 11 speed.

velosam
    Free Member

cheers Soma I am going to get the weights for all my kit

atrthanks
    Free Member

cloudnine: thank you! Unfortunately the PDW guards have gone up from £40/set to £75/set as presumably everyone is now thinking about mudguards! At that price I’ll suffer a wet behind and wait and see if they go back down a bit.

velosam: the tripster frame weight 1.5kg – how much dos your Burls frame weigh?

There is a 700g difference between 105 and Ultegra. Muguards weigh up to half a kilo. Dyno hubs are at least 300g heavier than standard hubs. Cheap SPD pedals are 250g heavier than XTR ones. Doesn’t take much to add on a few kg.

I’m down 20kg since I started cycling so the difference between 9kg and 14kg is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. I go up Box Hill without using the bottom three gears now – when I started last year I had to walk up anything bigger than an anthill 😀

My new way to feel like a beginner is to take my Tripster off-road. Last weekend I slid gently into a wall thanks to some muddy cobbles. I have SPD’s fitted and I start to panic when I hit mud because I know I’m going to fall off while clipped in. Any tips on how to deal with that?

timbur
    Free Member
    eshoote
    Free Member

Not posted on here for a while, but finally made a few tweaks to my standard build Tripster for my latest trip through central Asia. Used MTB triple, Conti touring plus tyres and disturbingly I returned to the early 90s and ran toe clips!
    Tripster Set up in Pamirs

atrthanks
    Free Member

Here is what 6800 looks like with 45mm PDW guards fitted over 25mm tyres.

Required an extra spacer at the chainstay bridge to stop it interfering but as you can see it fits fine now.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,921 through 1,960 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.