Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • Susie
    Free Member

Thanks for your reply TurnerGuy, I ordered a USE Sumo, it should be with me tomorrow. Nearly got all my components now, hopefully there’s no delay on the frame. I’m just ordering my brakes, I seem to recall that it will only take one size rotor, is it 160mm? Can’t seem to find that info on the Kenesis site.

matts
    Free Member

Yes. 160 is the default rotor size. You could go bigger with caliper spacers if you’re planning to use it for WC downhills. 😆

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Just in case anyone’s interested, I’ve taken delivery of the PDW guards, so there’s a cheap set of SKS Bluemels that’ll fit a 54cm Tripster perfectly just gone on the Classifieds…! It should save you the joys of getting them sized right.

I’ve found to my cost that I’m going to need the longer rear stays with the PDWs, but so far, so good – they’re looking quite smart.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/vGm2bu]Tripster ATR[/url] by Jim Barrow, on Flickr

Just been to Paris and back on mine, my first long trip.

Bloggage Here if anyone is interested….

dmc
    Free Member

Looking at getting a frame bag to fit a 54 frame just wondering what people are using and would recommend ?

Cheers dc

Hummerlisious what size frame bag etc is yours ?

m1kea
    Free Member

Good write up Jimbo 8)

Susie
    Free Member

Nice write up Hummerlicious. How was your bar bag? I bought one from Charlie a couple of months ago but haven’t used it yet.

I’m sure Freeborn said there was a shipment of frames due at the end of July and I was hoping mine would arrive next week, but looking at Upgrades site, they’re saying 21st August 🙁

somafunk

dmc : I have an Alpkit possum medium for my 54cm frame, fits perfect and doesn’t waggle about.

dmc
    Free Member

Soma any chance of a pic please ?

Cheers

Dc

somafunk

I’m not at home at the moment, I’m farm & dog sitting for the next 10 days so i can’t take any pics.

Here’s a pic of Bill n’ Ted instead, they had to be hand reared with colostrum after their mothers tried to kill them and as such they follow me about like two dogs, albeit very large dogs 😀

hummerlicious
    Free Member

@susie, sorry not been on here for a few days. The bar bag is great, I use it for map, phone and other gubbins in need regularly, however it’s not totally waterproof so I tend to put stuff in a small dry bag.

You just need to make sure that it’s adjusted as high up as you can so that it doesn’t rub on the tyre, like mine did on that trip!

dodgy
    Free Member

Thinking of upgrading the TRP spyres on mine to Shimano ST-RS685 hydraulics.

Anyone done that yet? Anything to watch out for particularly? Mine’s a 56cm frame, what length hose should I specify?

Cheers 🙂

slimjim78
    Free Member

nice blog hummerlicious – I rode out to Paris on the Ave Vert for Froome’s first win a couple summers ago, was great to see pics of your route and recognise a few spots.
    Great action shots of the peloton by the way! All I got were complete blurry blobs!

soma_rich
    Free Member

Ah hummerlicious I see we have a common friend 😉

pete68
    Free Member

Dodgy, I swapped the spyres for rs685 on both mine and my wifes bikes. Not tripster but sabbath September ar1s, so a comparable bike. Made a great improvement and the bikes feel much more confident now. Easy to fit and bleed as well, just follow shimano online instructions.

dodgy
    Free Member

Thanks, they’re starting to come down a little in price, too. Also, Merlin are doing the kit included in an Ultegra groupset.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

You know Rich too Soma Rich?

howarthp

I want to build up a custom ATR. Is there any particular shop that anyone recommends? I live in London but am prepared to travel

howarthp

Further to my email above I’m thinking of running a 42T single front ring with a wide range cassette (say 11-42) at the back. I like SRAM CX (I have it on my CX bike). However, I don’t want the hassle of the XD Drive to get the 10-42. So, can I run an XT 11-42 with SRAM chain and CX derailleur?

Also, for the first time, I’m having a wheel dilemma. I’ve never done tubeless but like the advantages. However, I guess you’re pretty much stuck with one set of tyres. How do people do this – more than one wheelset or stick with the best tyre? I like the idea of Hope Pro and Stans Grails. I want a set of wheels that can take a little light touring as well as heading off road – a good choice??

Thanks

cloudnine
    Free Member

Anyone run schwalbe one tubeless on kinesis cx disc wheels?

Just wondered if they go up / stay up / run OK?

howarthp

So Drac is all mouth and no trousers…

Come on – my question above is a sensible geeky STW one and no-one can help me plan my next n+1 from my hospital bed???

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t believe no-one has answered poor howarthp!

New Tripsters (including mine!) are due in the country on Friday.
    I’ve been gathering parts: bars, gears/mechs, mechs, drivechain, road wheels… Haven’t got seatpost (spare Thomson layback – not sure about that) or saddle yet. And the CX wheels aren’t available until September- Mavic Allroads 🙂

[Edit]rotors – haven’t got rotors – if anyone’s answering questions: does it take 160 or 140mm?

soma_rich
    Free Member

hummerlicious yep we did Scotland trip in June and have done a few races together, I think he asked you along to the Tour of the Cornfields….

curto80
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Thank you curto80 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just changed my seatpost shim from a USE 27.2->31.6 to a USE 27.2->31.8 and the fit is much better – don’t have to tighten the salsa clamp as much, before it was close to max tightness as the gap was almost closed.

I did try the cane creek 27.2 -> 31.8 shim a while ago but that seemed a very tight fit and was also quite heavy – the use one is a plastic but the cane creek one isn’t. Anyway the fit was tight enough to be a bit scary that it would get stuck, so out it came.

moobaz
    Free Member

I’ve been following the reviews, comments, hints and tips with interest so I just thought I’d post some pictures of my ATR.

I built it to use as a winter / country lane cruiser, however, I’ve found myself using it more and more. Infact I took it to my French home in the Dordogne this summer instead of my road bike. Its great riding country with super smooth roads and lots of hills and it excelled brilliantly. I also had many conversations with lots of curious French cyclists, non of whom quite got it!

Anyway, I built it with the spec of a second tier bike but must say I’m really impressed with it, particulalrly the new (ish) 105. However, the things that really makes it for me are the TRP Hy/RD brakes and gorgeous Challenge Strada Bianca tyres, a pain to put on but so worth it! They are both a real revalation.

The only thing I will upgarde are the wheels. The Shimano wheels are good strong wheels that roll well but don’t quite do the bike justice. I’ve orderd some new Mason Hunt wheels which have had great reviews so I’m looking forwrad to putting those on with the Starda Biancas.

So the more I ride this bike the more I love it. Its super smooth, remarkably quick and incredibly comfortable. It’s made me totally rethink my current bike stable and also what i’m looking for in a ride.

moobaz
    Free Member

Not sure what happend to the photo but second time lucky..

Susie
    Free Member

Nice bike Moobaz. Mine is on its way

DezB
    Free Member

There’s a build goin down…

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Nice to see even more Tripsters coming along! They’re looking good Moobaz and DezB 🙂
    If anyone’s after a set of SKS Bluemels mudguards, I’ve got some you can have for buttons – and the stays are cut to fit a 54cm Tripster so should save you a bit of maither too…

DezB
    Free Member

I’m afraid to add the fluid to the brakes – it will double the weight 😆

Can’t imagine how a bike this light will ride.

acyclistforlife
    Free Member

gonetothehills – I’d be interested in the mudguards if you still have them? Are they advertised somewhere?

Also, I’ve just completed an Everesting on my Tripster to prove it’s awesome! Good fun…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

rides very well – very solid – especially with 40c tyres.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Dezb.. Finished pictures and glowing first ride report please

howarthp

Moobaz – what forks do you have?

moobaz
    Free Member

Those are the standard forks just resprayed by Argos Cycles in Bristol. I must confess that I took my styling que from Enigma.

I’m not a great one for mainstream, hence riding titanium from a small bike company. The tag along the side is my nickname from school that has stuck with me for many many years!

I think painting the forks helps make this my bike and also less attractive to bike thieves.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

further to my previous post of upgrading to hydraulics…..bug*er.
    I picked up a good condition set of hope v twin brakes to replace the spyres, thinking it was a smart move going hydraulic. I was wrong. I don’t like the feel of them, there’s very little lever travel, so braking whilst on the hoods is harder. it’s kinda spoilt the bike for me now.
    so if anyone wants a bargain, I’m getting rid of the hope v twins.
    they will come with recently fitted pads, some spare part used pads. trp rotors and bolts etc. pretty sure there are some other spares in the box also. just trying to get some of my money back, so £125 posted
    drop me an email for pictures.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Acyclistforlife – drop me a line! The mudguards are still available. It’d be interesting to hear more about your everesting too…

teasel
    Free Member

D’you intend on catching a few rabbits with that beastie, Moobaz…

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1,841 through 1,880 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.