Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • somafunk

hummerlicious : remember you’ll need to take a dremel grinding wheel to the kinesis steerer bung, i guess you could do it with a file but the dremel takes seconds to do it. Are you going to be drilling a hole in the fork crown to pass the wires through?.

somafunk

Just browsing away online while i listen to Nemone’s Electric Ladyland on 6 Music and i happen across Velo Vitality, link to Compass tyres , has anyone used this brand of tyres? – they seem to have some very decent looking tyres – i particularly like the Barlow 38mm tyre in the link above along with the Compass Stampede in a 32mm here.

I’ve not heard of them before?.

EDIT : It appears Panaracer manufacture Compass tyres

Compass Bicycles

matts
    Free Member

Anyone with Cowbells know exactly where the measurements are taken?

In the image you can see that the markings at the hoods are closer together at the top than the bottom. Where along those markings is the measured width?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Sanny
    Free Member

Reet. Brake judder. Have you checked your front qr? I had a really annoying loose headset feeling on my Tripster. I stripped it twice and eventually tracked it down to the qr. Try a Shimano qr and see if that helps?

TRP Disc Connect housings have been on my Spykes on my fat bike and they are excellent. I would heartily recommend them.

Somafunk – jones bars……..niiiiice! I will be copying you if you don’t mind!

Sanny

rewski
    Free Member

I spent a long long time at the London Bike Show looking at the the ATR, it’s got classic written all over if, just so nice from every angle, the flat bar alloy version is very nice too, and great value. Was good to chat with Rory from Upgrade about how the Tripster came to life, and really interested to see what Dom’s own Mason collection will be like. Until then I might try the large volume WTB 650b rims on my Sync.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Cowbells are measured at the hoods (c to c) so a 42 should be the same (at hoods) as a ‘normal’ 42

eshoote
    Free Member

I just wanted to say it was great meeting some of you at the London Bike Show. I was only there Thurs/Fri but still so many happy Tripster owners to chat to! My bike on display for the show had different tyres on (as I forgot to bring them), not my 28mm Conti 4Seasons but otherwise it was literally just as I finished riding in India. Other than the destroyed 10spd transmission I wouldn’t change anything.
    Now excited to finally get to ride it up here in Scotland having not ridden it in the UK since I left in July.

London Bike Show

growinglad
    Free Member

Okay, okay, I’ll admit, I’m interested in this frame!

I went through this long post yesterday evening and my whistle is wet.

I currently have one of these (Rose DX Pro Cross):

Not a bad bike, but could be seen as a little stiff and for me, has crappy toe overlap. I’m due to start commuting by bike and my wife kindly offered a new bike/frame for my birthday. I was looking at custom jobbies, but I’m very much a normal size and wouldn’t really benefit (in my head) from a custom bike.

For me it’s a tool, that gets used all year around, I need something that I can shoot off down interesting tracks, but also use day in day out for my 40 km round trip commute (with gaurds and not bloody overlap).

So, plan would be to strip off what I can from the Rose and migrate it over to the Tripster. It’s about a year and a half old so everything is still in good nick after a bit of spit a polish.

Has anyone ridden both and can comment on the difference in Ride experience?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Dont you get toe overlap on all road / cx frames.. what size frame have you got now??

growinglad
    Free Member

I’m 183, ride a 58 and have size 43, so hardly clown feet.

somafunk

I have a 54cm frame, PDW mudguards with sufficient clearance over 37mm tyres and 165mm cranks, size 43 feet and no toe overlap but it’s close.

growinglad
    Free Member

I have a friend who has a later Rose and I wonder if they changed something as he says he doesn’t have any problems with toe overlap…but on mine it’s really noticeable especially with guards.

It would be great to hear from anyone who’s ridden both bikes. I do like my Rose and the componentry is spot on, no quibbles there.

It can fly along the rough stuff, but I wouldn’t say it’s overly comfortable, quite a bit of vibration, I would love to compare the rides between the Tripster and the Rose.

somafunk

Where are you in the country?, I’m up in Kirkcudbright, dumfries & galloway and if you are up this way then i’d be happy to lend it out for an afternoon/demo, same goes for anyone up this way biking at Kirroughtree/7 stanes on holiday, your welcome to try it out.

Get your mate to measure the distance between pedal axle (when pedal is at 3 o’clock position) and the front axle and compare it to your measurements, perhaps he has shorter cranks or a lower profile tyre.

growinglad
    Free Member

Thanks for your kind offer, but I’m outside the UK.

I’ll have to take a look at the measurements you mention.

Trying to speak with suppliers at the moment to work out cost of postage and import duty.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

@somafunk yes I’ll drill a hole, though I am rather scared of the prospect

@rewski that’s exactly what I thought, I begged Rory to try a set in my sync!

dodgy
    Free Member

My last bike, a Lynskey Sportive Titanium fitted with SKS mudguards and 23mm tyres always gave me overlap problems.

My 57cm Tripster, with its massive clearances, I was expecting more toe overlap (but hoping against it). Anyway, with 32mm tyres, PDW Fenders and my size 47 goretex (thick and bulky) boots = no toe overlap.

That’s a pretty extreme example I think. Oh, and I have the cleats mounted fairly far forward on my boots, that’s how I like them, but I guess that also helps.

rewski
    Free Member

I begged Rory to try a set in my sync!

If he does I’ll expect a review 🙂

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Do I or don’t I?

brassneck

Hopefully this works. Tripster at work. No one look at the bartape 😯

matts
    Free Member

Do I or don’t I?

I’ve been running them for 2 weeks now. They’re fantastic! I’m running them with Hope X2 Lightweight rotors and XTR sintered pads.

Stopping downhill one finger rear brake while drinking. No problem. Loads of power, but also good modulation feel.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Are those shimano hydros only 11spd?? I darent start looking as i know what will happen.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Yes new 11spd hyd/cable STI units.
    I am running Hope V twin at the moment, so not sure to upgrade.
    But they look well nice!

bugcab
    Free Member

[quoteDo I or don’t I?[/quote]

Yep, get em on. Only thing caused me to consider something else was lack of ability to run with XTR (or other mtb) clutch rear mech. Having said that you have to be getting pretty rough to need a clutch mech (see somafunk problems from getting lairy earlier in thread).

somafunk

Wasn’t my fault….**** pheasant tried to assault me and the only course of action was to attempt a bunny hop, which worked btw but the landing and subsequent chain slap did all the damage to my drivetrain.

😀

Rik
    Free Member

Somafunk – Would the Tubus Airey Titanium rack work with 29×2.1 tyres?

Is there enough room?

somafunk

I’ve just sat the rack on my tripster and measured, yeah there is clearance for 2.1″ tyres with regard to the rack but i doubt there is clearance at the chain stays (behind the BB) or the upper seat stays – if there is clearance it’d be mm’s at best – i dunno if anyone has ran a tyre bigger than 1.8″/42mm? – I’d like to be proved wrong though.

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks Somafunk – how much clearance is there on the rack? What’s the inner measurement between the stays of the rack at its narrowest part where the tyre would sit? If you could be so kind.

It wouldn’t be used on a Tripster with 2.1s but I want a rack that would fit on multiple bikes. Tubus say it’s only suitable for 700c and 26 inch.

somafunk

You just may be able to squeeze a 2.1″ between the stays of the rack on a 29’r, it certainly fits over the 26″ x 2.1″ when offered up to my Cove Hummer – there’s plenty of clearance for 26″ tyres.

These pics may be of help, the tyres i have fitted to my Tripster at the moment are Vittoria Voyager Hyper, they are marked as 700c x 35 but on my wide Velocity Aileron rims they size up to 39mm across the bead (rims are 20mm inner bead width, 25mm outer width).

62mm mm at the top, or as near to as a tyre would actually sit.

18mm clearance each side of tyre

12mm clearance each side of tyre

GavinB

Looks like I made a significant error in showing MrsB this thread, as she muses over a ‘do it all’ bike for touring, winter road, forest tracks etc, because she is totally smitten by them, even more so when she found out a couple of friends down south have them already, and love them.

The main issue she has is that she’d really like to be able to swing a leg over one to check for sizing. I don’t suppose there’s anyone here in sunny Aberdeenshire got a 51 or 54 she could check out?

Rik
    Free Member

Thanks for the photos Somafunk much appreciated.

My tyre (29×2.1) is 52mm across the widest part. It’s might just go but would be tight and there would be a good chance of anything other than a hard backed pannier catching on the tyre.

Back to the drawing board with the Titanium Airy ……..

DrP

Anyone got a spare kinesis CX rim/wheel…??
    I want to build up a dynamo wheel, and upgrade only sell full wheelsets!

DrP

matts
    Free Member

My tyre (29×2.1) is 52mm across the widest part. It’s might just go but would be tight

I just measured the width of the chainstays and it’s 47mm where the widest part of my current tyres are, so while it might go under the rack, 52mm isn’t going to fit elsewhere.

Wooliferkins
    Free Member

Folks you do not HAVE to modify your steerer bung to fit the Supernova Plug there is one available from Supernova.

somafunk

That steerer bung is the same as the one supplied with the Plug usb Charger top cap, it’s too large (24mm-25mm) to fit inside the Tripster steerer.

if you zoom in on the picture you can see the recommended dia printed on the bottom of the bung

smarr
    Free Member

The ETA at Upgrade, for all frame sizes, was changed sometime earlier today to next Wednesday, 3 March…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I just fitted an XT 11-36 cassette to my tripster and everything works fine. RD is an XTR M972 and I changed the jockey wells to 10t.

It is possible I could have avoided the jockey wheel change if I pushed the B screw to its extreme.

One problems was that my new chain has no overlap when on the big rings. It seems to work but purists might want another brand as I think someone might do more as standard than do KMC.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Anyone know if you can use shimano ctrlock ice tech rotors with TRP Spyre calipers without any issues

curto80
    Free Member

My 55.5 frame is being built up this week so should have it for the weekend 🙂

somafunk

bluesmartie : I dunno bout the ice tech rotors but i am using shimano xt 6 bolt rotors without any clearance or fit problems, i prefer a rotor with a larger alloy spider as i believe (perhaps falsely?) that it helps to lessen braking squeal/reverberations due to the increased stiffness of the rotor.

I’d be wary of using the ice tech rotors as they are designed to cure brake fade/cooking the hydraulic fluid and to be used with the ice tech finned brake pads to aid with heat dispersion, on a long road descent with normal pads fitted to your spyres you may warp the aluminium core of the ice tech rotors leading to failure of the disc.

Of course i could be wrong and they may work fine time and time again but i personally wouldn’t use them.

Welcome to the club curto80 😀

Viewing 40 posts - 1,561 through 1,600 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.