Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • schmiken

bluesmartie – Member
    Can anyone recommend a good wheel builder please?

What are you after wheel wise? I’m based in Loughborough and might be able to help.

brassneck

My ATR arrives this week some time, I think stock for many should start arriving tomorrow, or so I’ve gathered.

If it’s another false dawn there is every chance I’ll burst into tears 🙁

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Schmiken – I’m considering which wheels to have built, Stans grail rims on CK hubs possibly or open to other options. Are you a wheelbuilder then?

schmiken

I am indeed, do it as a hobbie now I’m a teacher rather than a professional spanner monkey. Feel free to drop me an email on michael.ri.moore at gmail.com rather than pull the post off-topic!

matts
    Free Member

If it’s another false dawn there is every chance I’ll burst into tears

Winstanley’s just emailed me to say it’s going to be at least next week now.

AAAAAARRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!

jsh63
    Free Member

I spoke to both Upgrade and Shiny Bikes today and I believe that they are into upgrade tomorrow. They will be shipping out resellers over the next week. I’ve had one on order with SB since October… Fingers crossed eh?

dave1986
    Free Member

Hey everyone,

Looking for some advice about dynamo hubs for my Tripster. Somafunk, I noticed you have a dynamo and Plug III USB charger on on yours and just have a couple of questions about how they work.

Q1. Is it possible to charge a device (e.g a smartphone) via the “The Plug III USB charger”, whilst simultaneously powering the bike light?
    Q2. If you cannot use both simultaneously then how do you switch between the 2 devices? Correct me if I’m wrong but presumably the only way is to manually switch-off the light (via the on/off switch on the light) which I assume would allow enough power to use the USB charger?

I’m looking at either one of the 2 following dynamo set-ups:

Dynamo light setup Option 1 (expensive option!)
    – Schmidt Son 28 Dynamo Hub

– Supernova E3 Triple 2 light (mounted on front fork brake mount)

– The Plug III USB charger (to charge smart phone/ GPS etc)

Dynamo light setup Option 2 (Slightly less expensive option)
    – USE Exposure Dynamo Hub (A re-branded SP 8 series hub)

– USE Exposure Revo MK1

– The Plug III USB charger (to charge smart phone/ GPS etc)

I prefer Option 1 set-up as the Supernova E3 triple 2 light can be mounted on the fork brake-bolt mount so it allows me to de-clutter the handlebars. Option 1 set-up also looks smarter in my opinion but it’s quite a bit more expensive.

I wonder if the Revo light can be easily fork brake-bolt mounted?

Thanks in advance for your help/ advice,
    Dave

somafunk

Q1 – yep, charge my iPhone, power the edulux Front light and the rear light quite happily at 7mph – brilliant set-up.

You’ll have to do a bit of dremeling like I did to the original kinesis steerer plug as the supplied steerer plug with the usb charger thingy is too large a dia to fit the kinesis steerer tube, and I also drilled a small hole up through the bottom of the fork crown so I could pass the wire feed from the Dynamo to the usb plug. Buy yourself lots of heat shrink tubing and check out the links to peterwhitecycles Dynamo lighting wiring page that I linked to in my previous post.

The supernova light you show above is a nice looking light and It was my first choice but on advice from others I decided against it as it has a flood beam that is not ideal for use on the road and can dazzle drivers, the edelux has a far better light throw and spread for road use, granted it’s not as cool looking but that’s a moot point as if cool was to be taken into consideration I’d be confined to darkest corner of my house and not allowed out in public.

There’s a page on peterwhitecycles cycles that shows various beam patterns/spreads, up to you obviously but you may have to point the supernova slightly down to avoid dazzling other road users.

I had a warmshowers bike touring guest staying with me for a couple of days last October (allo dave) and he had the exposure revo setup with a sinewave usb charging top cap, neat system also, I doubt the international dia of the sinewave plug would fit inside the skinny kinesis carbon steerer tube though, he was riding a nice genesis croix de fer with a steel fork so didn’t have that problem.

Ps : you’ll never regret buying the son hub 😉

millscc
    Free Member

If anyone wants to join in with a fan page on FB for ATR Tripsters…. here it is…

https://www.facebook.com/TripsterATR

alansd1980

Could anyone give advice on sizing please?
    I have found somewhere with these in stock and am torn between a 54 and a 57.

I am 5 11 with a 30/31 inch leg. Got a 56 road bike but thought the 57 might be a stretch?

dodgy
    Free Member

Measure the effective top tube of your current bike and compare with that of the ATR. If in doubt, size down.

jsh63
    Free Member

I’ve had my call from SB today confirming that they will have their stock tomorrow and whether I still want it!

Hell yeah….

The mythical Tripster is imminent!

brassneck

‘ve had my call from SB today confirming that they will have their stock tomorrow and whether I still want it!

Me too!!! I was so excited a bit of wee came out. And a credit card to get a carbon post and a long cage rear mech (£40 Ultegra on Pro Bike Kit at the mo).

With the benefit of some second hand (but looking brand new) wheels, going to come in under £1800. So worth the wait, if it does indeed land Friday.

bugcab
    Free Member

Bluesmartie, I bought Stans Grail with Hope hubs from moonglu, well rated builder, quick turnaround and good price.

Who has these in stock? Winstanley have had my money since October and keep waiting till delivery date to tell me there will be further delays.

jsh63
    Free Member

Brassneck

I have acquired various trinkets during the 4 month wait…

TRP HY-RD calipers, some nice new 10 speed 105 gearing and I thieved the Goldtec hubs off my MTB and had them built up with Stans Iron Cross rims, blue nipples and blue Hope skewers.

At the start, I was going to use my Kinesis T2 as a donor but I have gradually bought just about every component over the 14 excruciating weeks 😉

jsh63
    Free Member

Bugcab…
    I have been engaging with Upgrade bikes over the past week and they messaged me today on FB to let me know that they have free stock in the warehouse so get in while you can

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

If you’ve been pondering a Tripster ATR but have been struggling to find stock, we’ve just had a shipment arrive. So right now, there’s good stock…. but it won’t last. Speak to your dealer ASAP if you’re keen to get hold of one

from Facebook…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

And a credit card to get a carbon post

A thudbuster seems to be the seatposts in vogue currently :

http://grit.cx/gear/2015/01/received-kinesis-tripster-atr?utm_content=bufferffed8&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

dodgy
    Free Member

My bike has arrived at the shop, well, the frame has. The build kit arrives tomorrow, not sure why it arrived in two different deliveries.

jacob46
    Free Member

Will the 60cm frame suit 6ft 3inch man?

Can’t see any size chart on website.

rogerover
    Free Member

Anyone happen to know of the top of their heads whose got any stock in at the mo? I should’ve pr-ordered before Christmas but never got round to it and now Freeborn are telling me it’ll be Feb before they get any more. Preferably looking for the full build but having studied this thread for quite a while I’ve got a long list of upgrades so might consider just a frame. I’d be looking for a 57″ frame. Any leads/help really appreciated.

smarr
    Free Member

New frame size for anyone trying to decide between 54cm and 57cm: Upgrade will have 55.5cm frames for the Tripster & Gran Fondo landing sometime in March.

jsh63
    Free Member

Rogerover
    Give upgrade bikes a call – they are the importer and they had stock in their warehouse on Tuesday. If they have stock, your local bike shop will be able to get one for sure.

For what its worth, I think you could build better than the complete bike for less money. My build will cost about £2300 but I did pay just £1100 for the frame (although I ordered in October and I’m still waiting)

matts
    Free Member

*drums fingers on desk*

COME ONNNNNN!!!!!!!! WHERE IS MY BIKE!!! 😡 👿 😡

Upgrade site is now showing they only have 60s in stock – Back order of 4+ week for all other sizes again

http://shop.upgradebikes.co.uk/Catalogue/Frames/Kinesis/Kinesis-Tripster-ATR

alansd1980

I blinked and I missed it. While I was dithering on frame size they sold out.
    On the upside I decided I couldn’t wait so with help from fat birds bought a Lynsey cooper cx.
    One upside is that it has a lifetime warranty and it seems to be very similar to the kinesis.

Will be delivered to my lbs Monday and ready for collection Tuesday.
    Thinking about taking a day off work and not telling the family so I can disappear for a bit of an adventure!

jsh63
    Free Member

Shiny said today that they were shipping mine to me today but I haven’t had a tracking number yet

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Anyone used a set of mavic aksium one disc wheels. Appear very good value and thinking of using to get my build on the road whilst I have a bespoke set built up. Thoughts please…..

somafunk

Paligap have the extra long PDW mudguard stays in stock here

bluesmartie : A mate has them on his Cotic Cross bike, they seem perfectly decent and cope with his 16 stone weight – i’ve not had to true them so they came well tensioned, not the lightest things out there but once they get wound up to speed you don’t notice.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Somafunk – so would be a perfectly good stop gap then until mine are built?

somafunk

i imagine so, At £150 or thereabouts i doubt you’ll manage to find anything in that price range that’s better value or offers more performance wise – the stickers they come with do look naff but are easily removed (i have a irrational dislike of stickers/logos on bikes)

Gotama
    Free Member

Somafunk – have you put your bike back together yet? Interested in how you’re getting on with the Jones bars on there.

Murray

alansd – what forks are you going for with the Lynksey?

somafunk

Still not together, well that’s not strictly true as i did get it back together with my shiny Middleburn RS2 cranks but encountered a problem with the chain line/XTR front mech set up (or lack of it due to wide chain stays etc) so i had to strip it all back down to a bare frame which i have sitting in a box to send down to Matt @ Middleburn, he’ll have to mess about with various RS2 axle lengths/spiders etc to figure out the correct chain line so i can run my chosen XTR set-up, It’s easier to send the frame down to him rather than mess about to & fro with spiders/axles etc.

Ho-hum…….in fact i’ll check online now and see what carrier will collect from my house.

So for the past 4 months i’ve been riding my Hummer, I ditched the Exotic carbon forks that i bought as they were too springy and i bought a set of syncros carbon forks from the stw classifieds, much better tracking but it’s a shame no one makes a carbon fork that comes with a 15mm bolt through, then again i’ve rode rigid forks with a Q-R for 20 odd years and never found it to be a problem before.

Gotama
    Free Member

Ahhh, the issues with being a pioneer (possibly over dramatizing but can’t think of a better word at the mo). Shame, must be frustrating.

I presume the hummer is 26″ as there’s loads of 29er forks with 15mm bolt through.

somafunk

More like the issue with being totally arse’id and throwing the toys out my pram coz i want it my way only 😀 ,

Yeah, 26″ – i did try a set of the 26″ x-lite 15mm bolt through forks a couple of years ago but they were far to long for the geometry – very pleased with the current syncros though , I caved in and stripped it down for a full clean over xmas as using it daily to get back n’ forward to work along miles of muddy paths and farm shite left it looking rather unloved, everything cleaned up fine but now i don’t want to get it dirty again 🙁 , i need a cheap hack for work duties.

brassneck

TRP HY-RD calipers, some nice new 10 speed 105 gearing and I thieved the Goldtec hubs off my MTB and had them built up with Stans Iron Cross rims, blue nipples and blue Hope skewers.

ooh, hydro … nice.
    I have also acquired an 11 speed 105 group and Spyres – one normal second hand, one new SLC as it was all Merlin had left before my token ran out (ahem.. self justification right THERE).
    Picked up a set of Kinesis cross wheels, salsa cowbells .. just need the damn frame 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

it’s a shame no one makes a carbon fork that comes with a 15mm bolt through

try a 9mm DT RWS, they do up a lot tighter than a normal QR so therefore are more rigid – tight enough to show a casting error in my SID forks that none of the other QR or 9mm axles I tried could.

somafunk

Hmm, cheers for that Turnerguy i may try one just to compare – I’ve looked at the DT RWS skewers before but the only thing that discouraged me was the fact that the dropouts on the Syncros fork are fully carbon/integral moulded as part of the lower leg and i was fearful of damaging them – At the moment i use a mavic composite skewer with the positive cam lock mechanism but to be honest i’ve never had a skewer issue/problem in 20+ years so maybe i should just stfu and ride more/fret less 😉

jsh63
    Free Member

I’m getting really p****d off with my supplier. When I pushed them, they said it was being shipped yesterday. When I enquired today whether it had been shipped they said yes but on a 48 hour. When I pessed them fora tracking number they have ignored the email. I’ll believe it when I se it ( which could be Monday I suppose but I’m not convinced)

jsh63
    Free Member

Woop… Just had my tracking number

Viewing 40 posts - 1,361 through 1,400 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.