Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • somafunk

Got the final part of the jigsaw puzzle for my build, unfortunately i have to work today so i’ll get them fitted tonight…once i can stop fondling them.

38/28 super compact

Nipper99
    Free Member

Is that the Middleburn Insey touring spider Somafunk?

cr500dom
    Free Member

Hoping to get out on mine at the weekend, not even had a chance to fit up the new wheels and tyres etc 🙁

Its not been out since the rack and guards went on it either.

For anyone that wants a suitable set of (Tubeless ready) wheels for a build, I have some for sale in the classifieds

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    somafunk

Yeah, it’s the new RO2 X-Type road crank with the super compact spider and a Middleburn BB, I’ve ran Middleburn Cranks since 1994 on all my bikes so it made sense to carry on with the tradition.

Gotama
    Free Member

Stop looking on here and put the cranks on the bike!! 😀

iainc

Well impressed with the clearance on that front Kenda today Sanny ! ….and as fast as a speeding bullet 😀

DrP

Took mine out last night, for the usual “Tuesday night mtb crew ride”… I accept it was an inappropriate bike choice, but by ‘eck was it a laff!!!

Rapid on the flats and smooth ups, and bat-shite crazy on the techy dh sections..
    It got me thinking, sticking a dropper on this bad boy would make it a VERY versatile beast!

Another thing – for those running cable disks, you MUST get yourselves some Yokozuna brake cables – yeah, it’s £45 for the full set (gears and stoppers) but the difference in phenomenal!
    Shifting is duper sharp, and the brakes – literally no ‘twitch’ on the cable outer when yanking on the levers.
    Also, the spyres were losing their touch a bit, but putting these on and they are working a-OK!

Wiggle have them back in stock now…

DrP

DrP

Mtb rob…what bottle cages are they?

DrP

Sanny
    Free Member

DrP

I have my missus’s Reverb just waiting to do that very thing. Not told her mind! 😀

I, ahem, already checked to see it fitted……..

Sanny

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

DrP, they some nice Ti cages, to go with a great Ti frame 😈

LINK

somafunk

Sorry Gotama……..I’ve got another 3 BSO’s dropped of t’night to build up before I get my Tripster back together, it’ll happen over the next few days but I need to buy some heat shrink tubing to sleeve the rear light cabling to the rear brake housing before I get it back on the road, Hopefully wheels on the road by Sunday afternoon.

As an aside I can 2nd the recommendation for Yokozuna brake cabling, I mentioned it quite a few pages previously when I originally fitted my TRP Spyres and since then I’ve fitted it to quite a few bikes with cable discs and everyone has been amazed by the vastly improved lever feel over standard shipman brake cable housings, it is very stiff/awkward to fit but well worth it for the instant one finger braking response.

somafunk

Shipman = shimano…. Dunno what happened there?

Sanny
    Free Member

For those waiting, trust me, it’s worth the wait. Unfortunately, the bike industry suffers from unexpected delays and supply issues just like any other business that imports. I know it’s not just customers who get frustrated with it. For a supplier, it’s a pain that you can’t get bikes to folk when they want them! Knowing how good the Tripster is, you won’t regret the wait!

Sanny

Ps Interested to try compressionless hoses as my SLC Spyres are already great with normal cables! 😀

bugcab
    Free Member

Thanks Sanny, frustrating for all, not least Mrs Bugcab who has not heard the last of delayed approval for release of funds causing me to miss the last batch. I have a room full of parts driving me nuts waiting for a frame to hang them on! Keep staring longingly at ti frames as they ride past (sorry slightly un-nerved chap on blackfriars bridge this morning, I was not staring at your thighs!).

matts
    Free Member

We can have a Blackfriars Bridge Tripster Parade when they arrive. I work just behind the Plaza.

brassneck

For those waiting, trust me, it’s worth the wait. Unfortunately, the bike industry suffers from unexpected delays and supply issues just like any other business that imports. I know it’s not just customers who get frustrated with it. For a supplier, it’s a pain that you can’t get bikes to folk when they want them! Knowing how good the Tripster is, you won’t regret the wait!

Just had 6/1 confirmed for mine too :-/ sounds like the early December batch was a phantom or went to selected dealers. This is the one bike to rule them all for me though, so I’m hanging tough. I should take advantage of the merlin offers on groupsets really … less anyone thinks post Xmas will be better still?

jobro
    Free Member

Apologies if I have missed this in the thread but does anyone have news of an ATR mk 2?

Does it exist? What will the changes be? When will it be likely to arrive?

Having been lurking on here for a while I’d come to the conclusion this had to be my next bike. I’m not in a major rush to get it built, and having read all the tales of delays wondered whether to wait for the new version.

Many thanks

the_lecht_rocks

i heard fae kinesis there is the chance of a mk2, but other than bolt through rear axle, i can’t think of any other improvement.

i’d love to run CX1 on mine however as an aside.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I can’t think of any other improvement.

A correctly rammed seat tube so you don’t need to shim the post or do the seat clamp up inordinately tight?

jobro
    Free Member

i’d love to run CX1 on mine however as an aside.

Thats what I had in mind if I can get the money together !

littledoughall
    Free Member

Long time lurker on this thread…

Mrs Doug got a pretty sweet Xmas present.

somafunk

That’s a properly pimped Tripster-very nice, I bet Mrs Doug is well chuffed with that – was it a surprise?

littledoughall
    Free Member

Not a surprise, but she is well chuffed. First proper ride on the Tissington trail and the Manifold way in the peaks.

It is pretty pimped out. 51cm frame, reynolds assault, 105 11sp and PLT finishing kit.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

It looks the business – no wonder she’s pleased with it! Which way did you ride the Tissington Trail? I did it northbound on my Tripster on the last leg of a great 3 day gravel tour in the summer – glorious hot sunshine, no-one around, just a big ring mash into the White Peak. Seems an age ago from the four rides I’ve done so far since Christmas Eve where every one has involved hail at some point!

littledoughall
    Free Member

https://www.strava.com/activities/232683050

Headed north from Ashbourne, then turned off just west of Monyash, down some haliarous rocky single track that is apparently a sustrans route and back down south. Cracking route, but seemingly a headwind everywhere.

the_lecht_rocks

littledoughall – how tall is your missus ? i’m thinking about one for mrsTLR

hicksdesign
    Free Member

Hi Folks – I spent yesterday evening reading through this huge thread, but still have a few questions. I’ll try and be concise!

My main interest is road riding, and currently use a carbon Colnago (good weather bike) and a Genesis Equilibrium (all weather bike with mudguards). The Genesis also gets used for daily commute. My 11 year old son is getting into mountain biking and got a hardtail for Christmas. We used to do road rides together, but now I need to get an MTB if I’m going to be able to join him. We have a ‘one in, one out’ policy though, so one has to go.

Original plan was to replace both with a Kinesis GF Ti, and get a secondhand hardtail, but this thread has made me wonder if I should replace with Genesis with a Tripster instead? Use it for the off-road/all-weather/commuting duties and still have the Colnago for summer spins. What would be the off-roading limits of the Tripster?

Gotama
    Free Member

Not the same bike but I can ride all the local surrey hills trails on my pinnacle arkose. Clearly nowhere near as fast as on the mtb but it really depends on how good your son is on an mtb as to whether you’ll be able keep up and, as a largely road based rider, whether you’re comfortable riding muddy roots on what is essentially a road bike. I suspect that although the tripster is clearly a very capable bike you would be better off with an mtb and the GF.

Could you not get a tripster and two sets of wheels, see if it works for you as an mtb and if not then get the mtb? Seems to be a few people that say the tripster is pretty quick for road work.

hicksdesign
    Free Member

Thanks Gotama,and that’s an option I’ve been thinking about. Once I’m past the initial outlay of 2x wheels, tyres and rotors it would be a flexible machine. Depending on the terrain my son has a good lick of speed though 🙂

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Yeah, I’d say the only thing that holds the Tripster back is the rider, sure you won’t go downhill nearly as quickly as you can on a MTB, but it’ll go where you want it to and with a bit of finesse it can tackle most stuff.

Kinesis Tripster ATR by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

littledoughall
    Free Member

littledoughall – how tall is your missus ? i’m thinking about one for mrsTLR

Mrs Doug is 5″7 but very long in the leg / short in the arms. She’s riding a 51cm frame, inline post and an 80mm positive stem. Fits like a dream.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Can anyone recommend a good wheel builder please?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Strada wheels are good

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Would you recommend going tubeless? Stans rims any good?

dodgy
    Free Member

Hi all, first post, decided to register here as it seems to be the centre of ATR discussion on the web!

My ATR arrives this week some time, I think stock for many should start arriving tomorrow, or so I’ve gathered.

I’m putting 32mm Gatorskins on mine with PDW metal fenders (45mm). I’ve also ordered a Caradice SQR Slim for commuting duties.

I’ll post some pictures when it arrives, with and without my accessories 🙂

pryally
    Free Member

I fitted PDW fenders to my ATR (54cm)but had to order the extra long stays (rear) as they wouldnt fit otherwise.

Great now they are fitted, had to make a bracket for the front to get it low enough and fitted spaces at the rear (10mm) to get the rears to fit better. Oh and a spacer to clear the disc brake (front I think)

dodgy
    Free Member

Damn, I didn’t realise there might be a requirement for longer stays 🙁
    I’ll get onto the shop pronto. Thanks.

pryally
    Free Member

no worries, think it was £6. m5 stainless steel spacers 12.6mm long off ebay help with fitting the rears (I’ve used plastic ones temp till they arrive)

dodgy
    Free Member

Called the bike shop, they can’t get stock of the extra long stays, googled around and the 45mm extra long stays aren’t in anywhere! Might have to fit some SKS Chromoplastics instead.

somafunk

I need some as well but they are out of stock at the importers, I’ve just emailed Paligap so i’ll post back up here when i get a reply.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,321 through 1,360 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.