Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • the_lecht_rocks

gotta say that i’m very impressed with the V3 CX wheelset. mine have covered about 3000km of mixed road and forest trail and they are still true, no broken spokes, and the hubs got stripped today and they were clean as a whistle, if needing a little lubrication. usual cassette body wear, but that was all.

will keep em rolling over the winter and keep my eyes peeled for some deals on reynolds assault SLG discs.

anyone else impressed with the V3’s ?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

anyone else impressed with the V3’s ?

Defo. Had mine on since Spring, so probably similar mileage. Hugely impressed with how true they’ve stayed, not a jot of maither looking after them, tyres seat quite happily and they’re a very impressive weight for their strength / price. Fit and forget.

the_lecht_rocks

have you serviced the rear hub yet GTTH ?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I don’t think I have 😳 How was it when you did yours?

the_lecht_rocks

in good shape, but it was needing a lubrication on the pawls / springs and bearing faces.

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Has anyone fitted 11speed to their V3s? Im unsure if its a new hub needed or if the one supplied will work, i cant get an 11 speed cassette on it at the moment.

its a bit vague on the website.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I thought they were sposed to be 11spd compatible..
    http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/wheels/crosslight-cxdisc

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Down on the hub blurb it says 10spd but agreed that the blue writing does say 11spd.

I got my tripster in July, im wondering if i have V2s now, my hubs/wheels look exactly the same as V3s. Ill take some pics in a bit.

cinnamon_girl

Seat clamp –what size would I need to replace the stock clamp? Seat post is carbon Ritchey. Thanks. 🙂

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

I dont know if im doing something stupid here, its 105 11spd cassette. There is no way the locking ring would ever engage with the hub threads.

the_lecht_rocks

are the wheels eyeletted buzz ?

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Yes they are.

somafunk

That’s looks like the 10speed freehub that i had on my V2 wheel set, this is a 11 speed freehub on my spare set of V3 wheels,

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Many thanks guys, think ive confirmed that i have V3 rims but possibly a V2 hub or V3 hub but with a 10 speed freehub.

Wonder if the 11 speed freehub will work on my hub, emailing kinesis now.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The Salsa liplock seatclamp I bought was 34.9, from UK Bikestore.

cinnamon_girl

Thanks TurnerGuy, that’s really helpful. 🙂 Kenesis website states two different sizes.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Kenesis website states two different sizes.

I noticed that as well.

simonablett

Soooo, I have my Tripster frame but now told that the V3 wheel set will not be arriving until Jan 😐 – should I wait or can anybody recommend a good alternative? Options seem to be pretty thin…

brassneck

Soooo, I have my Tripster frame but now told that the V3 wheel set will not be arriving until Jan – should I wait or can anybody recommend a good alternative? Options seem to be pretty thin…

Probably going to go for a Hope Pro 2 build on Stan’s Alphas and then another with some light rims for road use when funds allow. Not exactly the same level of bargain, but are at least available widely.

moonwrasse
    Free Member

Is anyone running a 11-32 cassette on their Tripster?

Just built mine up with Ultegra 6700 mid cage rear mech, Cant get the clearance needed. B screw is fully in.
    Will try a XT 9 speed rear mech to see if that works.

timbur
    Free Member

Birdage tried it. 9 speed XT rear 11-36 cassette and 10 speed STI levers.
    It works but he then went back to a normal set up with a double up front.
    God only knows what he’s on now. Prob a Rohloff with a triple up front knowing his like for all things different/difficult.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Can you flip the b screw or get a longer one?

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Kinesis got back to me, the first gen of V3 were 10 spd only, they have since changed it, however all the build kits have 10spd.

You can buy 11spd free hub body’s here:

http://outlet.upgradebikes.co.uk/Outlet/Freewheels/Kinesis-Crosslight-CXDisc-Freehub

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

11-32 here but I have a medium cage 105 mech. 11-30 works with the short cage 105.

the_lecht_rocks

34-30 would do most gravel / fire roads IMHO.

somafunk

I’m building mine back up at the moment (after the drivetrain disaster on page 20) with 11-34 XTR (10 speed) all round with the new super compact 28/38 Middleburn double crankset (touring), will give me a 22″ climbing gear and a 95″ top gear, I’m doing away with the Salsa Woodchippers and fitting a set of TI Jones loop bars. Just waiting on the crankset from Matt at Middleburn and my Son28 dynamo hub/Velocity Aileron rim front wheel and Chris King/Velocity Aileron back wheel from Jon at Just Riding Along then i’ll be back on the Tripster happy train, it’s been stripped down to a bare frame for two months now and it’s dragged on for far too long as i’ve missed most of the brilliant weather.

I was going to go for the new 11 speed XTR but i decided i don’t need a 19″ low gear, if the hills i encounter are that stupidly steep then i’ll get off the bike and drink whisky from my flask instead.

charliemort

wish you lot would stop it

anyone compared one of these to a Fargo?

timbur
    Free Member

Far superior in every way
    (I’m guessing, but that might be enough of an excuse for you :O)

liam007
    Free Member

Hey Somafunk, have you rehomed the woodchipper bars yet? If not I’d be very interested.

Cheers

Liam

Sanny
    Free Member

Charliemort

I have both. The Tripster is that bit faster all round whereas the Fargo has that feeling of reassuring solidity for touring and pulling my wee one in the trailer etc. I run the Tripster with a double chainset , Woodchipper bars and an 11-36 set up with sti shifters and an xt 9 speed rear mech. Front is 30 42 though I am tempted to go smaller with the inner ring. Using an Ultegra triple as a double. The comfort of the Tripster really impresses me as does the speed off road with a1.8 tyre on the front. 😀

the_lecht_rocks

sanny – 30/36 is quite low – are ou using a lot off-road ?

Sanny
    Free Member

Yeah. Plenty of off-road. 42 is fine for the road as I am a spinner. I reckon lower than 30 would be good for longer, steep climbs. 😀

DrP

Blimey… Some low gearing being bandied about here!
    28:34 is really low!

DrP

the_lecht_rocks

indeed – this weekend i’m considering as low as 34/30 !!!!

and it was already low at 34/28 but hard work off road up steeps.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

here is my tripster finally built up, and on her maiden voyage up over Margam forest. it is an amazing ride, soooo glad I got it now.
    I’m considering going 12-30 on the rear (instead of 11-28), should make the hills a little easier, it’s mostly off road any way.

the_lecht_rocks

Evil, what have you put on tyre wise ?

Jamie
    Free Member

Evil, what have you put on tyre wise ?

Look like Conti Cyclocross Race.

Assuming they’re 35mm, how do they mount on the Crests?

evilsovereign
    Free Member

TLR they are conti’s. And were a bugger to fit on the crests.
    35c’s fast and grippy. Maybe after Christmas I may get another wheel set and keep road tyres on.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I went out on the 40c WTB Nanos today and I was very impressed with them – the ride seemed more lively than with the 33c Maxxis Raze I replaced and they seemed no slower and maybe even faster – both at 35psi.

They coped with the mud better and were much less sketchy than the Raze, and also copied with the sand better as well, although it was wetter than last week so the sand was more sold.

Very happy with the ride now – seems pretty perfect. Although I need to try a different saddle as that one has a fair amount of movement in the saddle rails which are terminated in elastomer, and it makes the ride a bit more bouncy than ideal.

The WTBs went on the Iron Crosses fairly easily but were a tighter fit than the Raze, which is reassuring. I managed to get them on with only my thumbs after careful use of the centre channel, and with a bit of manual splaying out of the tyre and holding it down over the valve I managed to inflate them with a Joe Blow Mountain without any manic pumping.

They went down overnight but that’s probably because I didn’t go for a ride after fitting. They were about 20psi at the end of the ride so maybe I lost some at the start before they sealed, but they rode well at 20psi as well, although maybe not feeling as quick on the road.

I did forget to align the logos on the back tyre properly, which was a bit of an oversight 🙁

the_lecht_rocks

Lovely pics turnerguy. I’ll be yearning for mud in a couple of months”.”.”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1,121 through 1,160 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.