Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • brassneck

i want quite a stiff strong set of wheels can anyone recommend any other options ?

Just a thought lifted from C+ this month, the new Aksium Discs? Might be a bit narrow for cx, but my road ones seem unbreakable.

FrameWatch update: 24/10 is the new D Day….

the_lecht_rocks

i fancy a set of the carbon reynolds assault SLG discs for the spring :

http://road.cc/content/review/115463-reynolds-assault-slg-disc-brake-wheels

lovely

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

H plus son archetypes on novatecs in classifieds at the mo (not me selling, idly watching them myself)

NZCol

Sizing for the ATR – 5’11” riding a 54cm CdF but could go up a wee bit in size, ATR seems to be pointing at a 57cm ?

jobro
    Free Member

i fancy a set of the carbon reynolds assault SLG discs for the spring

Lovely looking wheels tlr but when did £1349.00 for a wheelset become “a fairly competitive price”

Must be getting old 🙁

toby1

Must be getting old

You’re not, that is a mental price for the round bits of the bike!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Sizing for the ATR – 5’11” riding a 54cm CdF but could go up a wee bit in siz

I have a 54 croix de fer and have just switched everything over to a 54 tripster.

The tripster is about 8mm taller in the head tube if you use their supplied FSA headset. I ran two 10mm spacers on the croix and only one on the tripster.

With the same kit the tripster is about exactly the same fit, based on where my knee is over the pedal and how I can see the hub compared to the bars.

The tripster steers a lot slower – it is more of a cruiser, so maybe the 57 with a 30mm shorter stem might work well, as I think Dom from Kinesis mentioned that it is supposed to have a shorter stem.

But standover will be less, obviously.

Where abouts are you – is there someone local whose you could try ?

NZCol

I’m in Edinburgh but happy to travel. I am steering towards a 57 as the 54 CdF is quite wee, its ok but a bit bigger wouldn’t worry me

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Getting used to the 54 now and the slightly slower steering. I couldn’t have gone bigger I think as the standover would have been too small.

Let someone from BikeSwanky have a go and he was impressed, even though it was muddy so he couldn’t feel the full benefit of the frame/forks.

Bought those 40c WTB Nanos and the 42c Contis and some p45 and p50 mudguards so will be able to see if they fit on not. The Nanos look like they might roll better.

the_lecht_rocks

well done turnerguy – good luck forming the guards 🙂

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

cinnamon_girl – Member
    Looks good TurnerGuy. Is there really a problem with the seat clamp?

Part of the problem with the seatclamp is that the the seat tube is slightly oversized (cf beercan shim posts on this thread), which you only appreciate once you’ve overtightened the clamp like billy-o to try to compensate, resulting in a rounded bolt.

I had a Hope seat clamp from an old stumpy sitting in the spares box which I used after I rounded out my original.

the_lecht_rocks

Deffo. I had to use the beer can shim trick to keep my Thomson post secured…

moonwrasse
    Free Member

Looks like i have bought the last tripster frame from Winstanelys, Just a quick question to the Diy builders. Did anyone get the BB faced before building it up?

birdage

No..

timbur
    Free Member

Nope.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

No, but I did find the thread on one side was not great, so I would the BB in by hand until it got stiff, then back it out and brush out any loose stuff, and repeat until eventually the BB went in all the way smoothly by hand.

If it is any comfort, I did ask Shiny Bikes if they had seen the need to face any of the BBs on the bikes they had built up, but they said that they had all been good in the first place. That was after I had bought it, so not sales BS.

cinnamon_girl

SKS mudguards seem to be popular so what model is best please? Any tips on sizing? Thanks.

@TurnerGuy and crimsondynamo – thanks for info on seat clamp. 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

depends on what tyres you’re intending to use ?

i run chro 35’s with my gravelking 28c’s – they are nigce and tight, as close as is sensible – work superbly :o. look utter naff :roll:.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Interested in one of these and having a few thoughts.
    Running a Gran Fondo titanium currently and loving it for the sportiffs I do.
    Also running a cheaper cross bike for a few races.
    How practical are these as a bike to do both maybe with a change of wheels?
    Do they loose out in one way or another?
    Any compromises?
    Thanx,
    Max

bugcab
    Free Member

None of these around at the moment. I had to sell the unused carbon roadie to clear a space and get the all clear from financial director but now sold out!!

Only up side to missing out on this is that in looking for other options I discovered the new Norco Search. Not exactly a classic looking beast but has the advantage of 15mm front and 12×142 rear that I really like.

Anyone with some knowledge of these things offer any feedback on the geometry and how it might compare?

http://www.norco.com/bikes/road/road-adventure/search-carbon/search-xr/

Ta.

the_lecht_rocks

don’t think it does compare – the tripster is pretty unique still – relaxed geom, tall HT, 42c capable, rack and guard mounts, etc, etc.

the Norco also looks shocking !

timbur
    Free Member

Upgrade are flying some frames in to get some URGENT stock. Another boat load on the way as well. They are selling well. 😀

There was talk of a GF disc for next year with internal cables routing and Di electrical thigiemajig routing as well. Maybe I do need a road bike after all.

flange
    Free Member

Ok, so who works in the wharf and has a di2 hydro set up on stans? Very nice looking machine…

brassneck

Upgrade are flying some frames in to get some URGENT stock. Another boat load on the way as well. They are selling well.

Yeah, mines supposed to be on that frickin plane. 24/10 I was told .. last update anyway.

dmc
    Free Member

Was the di2 hydro internal ? Thinking about doing a internal setup 🙂 obviously will void the warrenty but makes sense for charging off a dyno hub… thoughts

cr500dom
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

Whoever was trying to fit those P50 mudguards – did they fit ?

Kineses mention 45mm mudguards with 40mm tyres but all the 45mm mudguards I see max at out 38mm tyres.

Yes they do,
    I finally got round to fitting them and the Tubus rear rack at the weekend.
    Not tried them over the CX tyres but I left plenty of clearance to the 28C 4 Seasons to allow for the extra volume.
    I`ll get some pics up later.
    I fitted the stays behind the rack on a shared bolt as this was neater.
    still need to add some heatshrink to the upper stays to prevent rattling against the rack but it does all fit.

EDIT, that is with Spyres front and rear though, I didn’t fancy fitting them around the Tektros !!

andyfla
    Free Member

I have to say that Norco is truely hideous, please dont contaminate this thread any further !

Having said that, it looks like it would fly over the roughstuff

the_lecht_rocks

Cr500dom, pics essential please !!!!

bugcab
    Free Member

Okay so suggesting the Norco is “not exactly a classic” is a massive understatement, it’s a minger. The question was about how geometry compared as its available and I want a bike I can ride not admire in other peoples photo’s. All back to talking about the pretty bikes you have or want but cant have.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am not sure you ‘need’ that 12mm on the rear, but I am using a 10mm RWS skewer which bolts up pretty tight – and a 9mm on the front.

The RWS gets enough torque to show up a casting error in some SID forks of mine, and torque is the thing that gives it stifness, not axle size.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

What pedals are you guys using please

cr500dom
    Free Member

TLR sorry, been nowhere near the “shed” for a few days, if its not lashing down later I`ll try and get some pics for you.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Great ride today.. quick banana and biscuit break by the beach…

MussEd
    Free Member

What pedals are you guys using please

?

DrP

I’ll also echo….
    Pedals…??

DrP

the_lecht_rocks

full service completed. finished with the rear hub.

[/url]IMG_20141101_063508 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr[/img]

the_lecht_rocks

rebuilt and ready again for next week’s commute :

[/url]IMG_20141101_091005 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr[/img]

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

old crank bros 4ti pedals…

the_lecht_rocks

trail XTR, just been pulled apart, cleaned and regreased up. smooth as.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Road- shimano 105 spd sl. Off road some cheap shimano spd or maybe even flats depending on terrain

Viewing 40 posts - 1,081 through 1,120 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.