Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • birdage

Posted this before. Works for me, seatpost hasn’t slipped once since I put it on and it weighs nothing!

http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct.php?productid=351

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I might have complicated things as I am using a plastic USE shim with my USE titanium seatpost, but I rounded the bolt on the first tighten up 🙁

Ordered a salsa liplock and will see how it goes – didn’t want to commit to another post until I see what the titanium post is like as I have seen people say that they didn’t like a titanium post in a titanium frame for some reason (maybe too bouncy?).

Also got a thompson masterpiece of the right size to compare with (bouncy vs no bounce…).

Think I might try a metal cutting disk on my dremel and cut through the gap in the collar – as the bolt is made of cheese it should cut it…

andyfla
    Free Member

Just spoken to my LKS (Local Kenesis shop) and they say the importers are airfreighting some frames in to complement the boat shipment due at the end of October, so there should be a few around at the start of Nov

the_lecht_rocks

Sliver of coke can inserted assisted my seat post slippage issues.

easyrider
    Free Member

Well the Tripster is nearly ready for a ride, just need to wrap the bars.
    Last night I tried to fit a Conti 28c GP 4 seasons to my Stans Crest’s but no joy, however a 25c GP4000 snapped on with out too much difficulty and a 28c Panaracer Pasala was not too hard too fit either.
    Which tyres are people using on Stans’ rims on the road : and tubeless or tubed? Running 25c tyres on this bike is going to limit it’s all round potential, what’s a good road oriented all round tyre? NB Still no refund from Shiny Bikes.!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

What sort of weights are people getting – I measured 20.1lbs with the steerer still left to cut down.

That’s 2.4lbs lighter than my 54cm Croix de fer as I have transferred all the same kit, apart from changing from normal road BB7s to Spyre SLCs.

And a lot of that must be in the cdfs steel fork.

cinnamon_girl

@ easyrider – have Grail rims, using 32c Conti Gatorskins with, er, tubes. 😳

@ TurnerGuy – 20.7lbs without pedals and uncut steerer. Excludes bell that I must purchase!

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Hi guys what gearing ratios are you all running please?

easyrider
    Free Member

@cinamon girl : how did you find fitting the gatorskins? All the latex puts me off road tubeless, it’s a pain when changing tyres.

@TurnerGuy : Not weighed it but will let you know. Its got sram FORCE robbed from the road bike : and it feels well light. 18lbs maybe.

@bluesmartie : well 50/34 12/26 but that is nothing clever or special : I can see 34/46 11/30 or 11/32 being a good all round double in 11 speed, or maybe a triple. 50/34 will do most things though if you like pedalling

cinnamon_girl

@ TurnerGuy – thanks. 😆

@ easyrider – am using tubes with the Gatorskins mainly due to keeping my options open if I want to take it off road to make it easy to change. Tyres went on OK. Being a helpless female I’ve never tried doing tubeless myself, just get my lbs to do it! I did make the point though that with Grail rims being so deep you really need a long valve or valve extender.

@ bluesmartie – I’m running a triple.

DrP

Feeling left out of the ‘bling ring’, I’ve pimped my anchors for some uber stopping powerz…

DrP

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Mine are on order!

the_lecht_rocks

i’m keeping my hyrd’s until next spring. winters coming an methinks my tripster’s about to take a serious beating through north scotlandswinter [and salt]…….

easyrider
    Free Member

Is anybody still waiting for a refund from ShinyBikes? I bloody well am!!
    Mastercard are on the case but for what it is wurth
    ***SHINYBIKES ARE COMPLETE SH1T***

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

hmmm, I got mine eventually, after mentioning that other people on this forum were waiting and questioning that there responses were repeatedly the same. Maybe I sounded p1ssed off enough that they thought I might take some action?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’ve got the 42c ones on grail rims

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ppR8QL]First time with my new exposure revo dynamo light[/url] by South Downs MTB Skills, on Flickr

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I’ve got the 42c ones on grail rims

good ?

cinnamon_girl

Are those the Conti Cyclo X tyres?

eshoote
    Free Member

Just put together my latest thoughts on the Tripster. After 95 days riding it from UK I am in the Tian Shan mountains between Kazakhstan and China, sadly without a Chinese visa it’s about as far as I can get! It’s a bit of a Tripster love fest loaded with gratuitous Tripster in front of nice scenery pics! http://welovemountains.net/the-kinesis-tripster-atr-my-latest-thoughts/
    A big fan in Uzbekistan!

birdage

Hummerlicious that look’s really nice, how do they go on the SD terrain?
    That Tripster trip looks like the adventure of a lifetime! Really striking pics.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I can confirm that a dremel is the right tool if you round out the bolt in your seat clamp – the metal cutting disk slots in the gap in the seat collar and cuts through the bolt.

No need to panic and try and drill it out.

Jamie
    Free Member

Just put together my latest thoughts on the Tripster. After 95 days riding it from UK I am in the Tian Shan mountains between Kazakhstan and China, sadly without a Chinese visa it’s about as far as I can get!

So you have to come back the way you came?

hummerlicious
    Free Member

Birdage, TurnerGuy, Cinnamon girl – Yes, they are the 42c conti Cyclo X Kings.

They work really well round here, my only reservation was in the wet on the road, but actually now they have worn a bit they are OK. They just felt a bit slippy at first.

My commute is mainly off road anyway and they are proving fine for that.

eshoote
    Free Member

Jamie – sad to say I am cheating, catching a flight over China to Kathmandu!

For people having seat clamp issues, try to find a double bolt clamp, mine is from Cannondale and has held tight since Germany.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Upgrade bikes (where i bought my frameset from) sent me a DMR Ti coloured seat clamp which has worked well after the kinesis clamp broke

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

ok, the build is finally complete after getting a new seatclamp :

also changed the bar tape as the brown charge stuff looked a bit iffy.

So it has replaced this 54cn Croix de Fer

but I have changed the brakes to spyre slcs and put a 32 cassette on.

I have a 110mm stem and the fit is almost exactly the same as the cdf with that stem on – the hub is blocked out by the bars when on the hoods and my kneecap is above the axle, etc.

That surprised me slightly as the effective tt measurement is slightly longer I thought and I thought that I was going to have to get a shorter stem for the same fit. Maybe the extra slackness of the tripster evens it out?

First thoughts are that it is smoother, bumps are sucked up and smoothed out where the cdf would ‘spring’ and bounce more.

But the cdf felt more agile and quicker steering. I might try a 100mmm stem tomorrow as that made a useful difference to my equilibrium – although I think the 110 is a better fit and better for getting in the drops.

For blasts round the common I think the CDF was better – mine was only 22.5lbs so not that heavy, and only 2.4lbs more than the tripster. More agile and seeming to accelerate more.

However for longer rides the tripster will be better as after 3 or more hours on the cdf you started to get weary.

I am wondering if the kinesis sizing isn’t actually right as I think Dom said in the video that the tripster was designed for a shorter stem, so maybe a 57 would have been OK, although the standover wouldn’t have been so good for offroad.

ceepers

Minor thread detour but…..

Tyre thoughts please. I’m currently running clement xplor 32c on my charge filter “cx” bike, they’ve been great on gravel and dry summer trails but they aren’t that grippy in the damper conditions we had now got.

Recommendations on tyre and size please? Most of my cx loops involve 50/50 road/ trail

cinnamon_girl

Looks good TurnerGuy. 🙂 Is there really a problem with the seat clamp?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Is there really a problem with the seat clamp?

not now – but that’s because I bought a Salsa liplock. The Kinesis bolt does seem to be a bit soft and I rounded it so cut it off with a dremel.

If yours is OK just be careful when tightening it – but it is not as if it is common to tighten and loosen it out on the trail on a bike like this.

Even with the liplock I seem to have nearly done it up to the max, so maybe the seattube is reamed a little to large. I wonder if the Kinesis carbon seatpost is actually slightly bigger to compensate?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

These Spyre SLCs seem pretty good as well – bite point is more solid than on my BB7s and I can lock the wheels up very easily.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Creepers – I’m looking at building mine up with challenge grifo or their new baby limus tyres both are 33mm wide

1-shed
    Free Member

A tyre to consider Kenda happy mediums http://www.gravelbike.com/?p=253 got mine on my all city macho man appear to be a good all rounder as long as its not a gloop fest.

horts
    Free Member

Here’s mine. Great to see how much love there is for the ATR.

Spec is here http://bit.ly/1EOtjtS

the_lecht_rocks

1 st ride on mine today after a wee hiatus in Mallorca for ax few weeks…. Rides like a magic carpet, lovely.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Whoever was trying to fit those P50 mudguards – did they fit ?

Kineses mention 45mm mudguards with 40mm tyres but all the 45mm mudguards I see max at out 38mm tyres.

dmc
    Free Member

Hi All,

Some help please have a frameset on order planning on ultegra build but just cant seem to decide on what wheels, i see the kinesis ones are quite popular but being quite lardy thinking custom how do the grail rims ride ? anyone using hplus archetype’s ? i want quite a stiff strong set of wheels can anyone recommend any other options ?

thanks in advance

DC

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Im using Archetypes on my current bike along with BLB hubs and I’m planning on using them again on my tripster ATR build but with Chris King hubs – very nice.

easyrider
    Free Member

1st ride on mine at the w’end , can confirm it likes the rough stuff. Rides comfy when compared to my carbon race rocket. Front end seems a bit weird and high. Sort of like a fast 29er all in all, but the titanium has this springy feel to it that makes it feel alive!

Viewing 40 posts - 1,041 through 1,080 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.