Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’ve finished the dynamo wheel for my tripster:

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

ooo the grail……….
    #First impressions?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Dr. Please funnily enough was going to bring up the issue of funny marks from velcro straps… Wasn’t sure whether to try and polish them out?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

brillo pad is good on a raw aluminum frame…

cloudnine
    Free Member

Stupid predictive text. Was thinking of some autoglym super resin Polish or maybe some autosol

hummerlicious
    Free Member

@MTB Rob – I’ll tell you thursday, it’s built, but not on yet as I haven’t got time to fiddle with the wires till then

brassneck

Brillo pad and baby oil shines up my Ti456 nicely.

But does get some comments from Mrs B as I head out to the man cave with them :-O

firestarter
    Free Member

Lemon juice and brillo work great on ti

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

hummerlicious, no worrys, how was the rim finish/feel/join area and did it build up well?

the_lecht_rocks

Looking for some grails myself, where fae and how much ?

Don’t need them for a couple of weeks as were on a road camp in Majorca for 3 weeks 🙂

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Paligap, so your LBS should be able to get some, RRP £75
    If you have any trouble getting them let me know & I see what I can do.

ChrisS
    Free Member

Slight thread hijack…… anyone fancy a slightly more road oriented version to compliment their tripster? I ordered a 60cm Kinesis Grand Fondo Ti a month or so ago and a change in circumstances means it hasn’t even been taken out of its packaging and now needs to go. 😥

Freeborn are doing these for £1593, you could have this one for £1493 and save yourself £100…..

Email in profile.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’m in the trade, so I got them from Paligap.

They’ve built up nicely, difficult to get totally true, it took a bit of patience, but I’m happy with the results now.

easyrider
    Free Member

Where can you buy small quantities of spokes to build wheels at reasonable cost?
    I’ve always fancied lacing my own, but never really found the time.

RustyMac

easyrider – i generally use Rose bikes for spokes, DT Swiss Comps are at a pretty good price, just remember to add £5 ish for shipping. Because of the postage costs i try and buly out my order with other bits and bobs i need.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

I’ve got my frame, yay.
    it turned up today whilst I was in work, along with my spyres. I would like to say that I’m waiting until my wheels arrive on Tuesday, before I build it. but that would be a lie. I’m taking pics of the progress, and once it’s all together i’ll put some up here. first impressions, are that she is beautiful, and we will have a long and happy relationship.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

A frame from ShinyBikes !

Maybe I shouldn’t have cancelled – but I admit I had lost faith in them in case I needed warranty assistance.

For instance I cancelled my order last week but haven’t had a refund yet – fast enough to charge but not to refund.

I phoned to check it and have also emailed their support as well some days ago.

One more call tomorrow and then chargeback time…

easyrider
    Free Member

I also cancelled with SB earlier today, having ordered from WS instead 🙂 Cheaper than SB too…

DrP

Where can you buy small quantities of spokes to build wheels at reasonable cost?
    I’ve always fancied lacing my own, but never really found the time.

I’ve picked them up off eBay…

DrP

brassneck

I’ve got my frame, yay.

From ShinyBikes?!

<is suddenly pant wettingly excited>
    <checks Merlin shopping basket that has been in an open browser window for a month>

For instance I cancelled my order last week but haven’t had a refund yet – fast enough to charge but not to refund.

I phoned to check it and have also emailed their support as well some days ago.

One more call tomorrow and then chargeback time…

Now thats a worry. I haven’t and wasn’t planning to cancel just yet, but they really don’t like answering emails, and phonecalls seem like you’re imposing somehow. Some positive news would be a bonus.

I also cancelled with SB earlier today, having ordered from WS instead Cheaper than SB too…

WS? Cheaper than 1090?

easyrider
    Free Member

My SB tripster was £1155, the WS somewhat cheaper. Just had email to say it’s being shipped! Next I have to wait for RS685 to hit the shops

brassneck

Sorry but who are WS? I must have missed that bit.

mlpinto
    Free Member

I’m guessing WS may be Winstanleys? Their site shows 51 and 54cm frames in stock at £1124

I keep reading this thread despite the fact there is no way I can justify a new bike, but god I wish I had one – it looks like my perfect bike…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

doh, forgot to check Winstanleys – and they were cheaper than fatbirds!

I think that must be a recent price drop, surely.

never mind, it’s only money…

easyrider
    Free Member

yup WS == Winstanleys. Royal Mail have txtd me with a tracking number! Yee Gods.

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Went the cycles show yesterday and had a great chat with Rory from upgrade bikes/kinesis, who gave me some great ideas for my build but also gave me more to thing about!!!

evilsovereign
    Free Member

sorry folks forgot to state…. cancelled it with SB, and went with winstanleys. it’s built, just waiting for my wheels to arrive tomorrow. it sure looks pretty.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Just got cables to connect up and steerer to cut on mine, after swapping bits from my Croix de fer and also taking the 32 cassette and medium cage rd from my equilibrium.

brassneck

Just spoke to ShinyBikes, they are estimating end of next week/beginning week after – waiting on forks at present.

I’m happy to wait as it’ll only distract me from the painting I should be doing 😉

Back to wheel planning and groupset… Has anyone built with SRAM? The Apex with a 30 cassette looks quite tempting for a change from the 105 standard.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Apex has a 32 cassette, which is what I have just put on.

Ultegra do a 30 cassette, which is what I had before, and which works with the short cage mech, the 32 requires a medium cage mech.

pryally
    Free Member

long shot but does anybody want to swap their 51cm for a 54cm? or buy my 100 mile old frame/forks so I can buy a 51cm?

easyrider
    Free Member

My Mrs has just taken delivery of my 51” frame, thanks Winstanleys. I’ve got some Crest/Novatek on the way. But debating what todo with the rest of the components; it depends on whether it’ll take big tyres like 2” IKONS : if so then it’ll replace my Scandal Mtb and maybe my road bike as well. But what’ll probably happen is it’ll add to the bike count 🙂

easyrider
    Free Member

Still no word of a refund from ShinyBikes and no communication either.
    I’ve opened a dispute with Mastercard.
    Shocking!!!!! & never again. Rip off merchants!

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Easyrider – gutting about the refund… The Ikons could be a squeeze at the rear – but if you run without guards they might just fit on the front. I had some 42mm Contis on with loads of room at the front and more than enough out back…

I’m about to renew the somewhat aged drivetrain on mine – I’ve got a new 6700 cassette with the 30T at the top and matching chain. Not sure if the mech needs a refresh too, but it’s good to read that people are using the short cage Ultegra mech with the bigger sprocket.

brassneck

Easy rider – try phoning them again. I got someone way more communicative this time. Worth another try at least (I have no connection with them beyond also being owed a frame)

Edit: not had replies to emails. Not defending them but I think a call is your best bet.

cinnamon_girl

Yes, I would give them a call. My e-mails went unanswered.

the_lecht_rocks

Will a short cage ultegra mech work with 30t cassette ? I’ve heard it will..”..

easyrider
    Free Member

@brassneck I’ve seriously called them many times, and been given false promises of either a frame or refund, but that’s the limit of their customer service (ie : answering the phone or taking money) as far as i goes. Not even a single email in reply. Anyhow masterCard are on the case now. PS : this thread is linked from the landing page on upgrade Bikes lol.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Easyrider.. Id be all over their FB and twitter feeds with the shit they are pulling. Its amazing how quick businesses can pull their finger out when stuff goes public

neilthewheel

Viewing 40 posts - 961 through 1,000 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.