Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Maybe I should buy the Croix and something carboney for road use only :-/

the stock Croix de fer is a bit on the heavy side, although the newer ones have been getting better.

Mine with ultegra chainset/ultegra fd/105 rd/stans iron cross on hope/BB7s/light pedals is 22.5lbs, and that is fine I think, only 2lbs more than my 725 genesis equilibrium.

It is a fun bike and nice and springy, and perfect for my common blasts and some rides of a little further.

Next years has a slight geometry change I think, maybe higher in the HT.

The Tripster ATR does look a different kettle of fish though.

mistergrizzly
    Free Member

Hi guys

Noticing you’re after a 54 –

If you don’t mind one with a slight mark on the seat tube by the front mech mount, there’s one at Fred Williams cycles in wolverhampton for sale?

Have posted this before but it was at the bottom of a page so not many may have noticed, as I couldn’t complete the build during my holidays I don’t mind waiting for another (and the mark is the slightest mm of a nick to be fair – so if you want one right now I’d go for it).

birdage

If you think the Croix is perfect for your common blasts you are going to be blown away by the ATR!

the_lecht_rocks

I’ve managed 2000km in 9weeks on my tripster and to be honest, it’s an absolute joy to ride, seriously. I’ve never ridden a better all rounder.
    Yes there are better mountain and road bikes but nothing that does everything so bloody well. Wondrous machine. New chain on its way….!

overthehill50
    Free Member

mistergrizzly – I have today picked up said frame from Fred’s built up with 5800 105 groupset. Just taken it out for a spin, bit of road,bit of old railway line, it is just great, flys along the tracks & very smooth. Anyone waiting for a frame – it is worth the wait!! 🙂

brassneck

.. and its comments like the above that just keep me hanging on. Was all set to get a croix on c2w, but just wanted a little bit more pizazz if it was going to replace 2 bikes properly.

Will probably be going to give Apex a go, cheap enough as an experiment and should have the gear spread for anything.

22.5 is a bit better than I expected TG. That would in all honesty be good enough for me I expect.

mistergrizzly
    Free Member

Overthehill…..

Cool! Glad you’re pleased with it! Are you local or did you have to travel a bit (I’ll have to keep my eye open for it!)? Can’t wait to get one… If they’re back in stock by the time I get my next break from work!

Chuffed for you though mate, out of interest what parts other than the groupset did you go for? 🙂

overthehill50
    Free Member

mistergrizzly – I’m in Northants so not local. Build was 5800 105 with 32 cassette,Shimano discs, deda alu bars stem seatpost, Kinesis crosslight wheels (vittoria randonneur tyres atm),Kinesis Volt saddle.
    I’ll try to post a photo on here if anyone can tell me how to do it!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

22.5 is a bit better than I expected TG

My wheels are 1610g and I think the Kinesis crosslight V3 wheels are more like 1500, so that’s a useful weight saving there.

My seatpost is titanium and light, but my saddle is an old gel flow flite so that could also be a little lighter.

Obviously I will be saving 20 or 30g when I go from BB7s to the Spyre SLCs 🙂

My Brifters and rear mech are 105 so they could be ultegra.

And I have the steel fork, so more potential weight saving there…

But my peddles are the 4ti eggbeaters, so pretty light.

cinnamon_girl

pannier rack – apologies for dimness but is there only one type that fits? I have one in my dungeon that was used on a disk-braked hardtail so any reason why it wouldn’t fit?

seikoking
    Free Member

My first post on this forum so please be gentle with me!!

I have been keeping a close eye on Tripster ATR and this thread in particular. I had managed to scrape together the funds to buy just recently, only to find that I couldn’t find the frame size I needed (54). Consequently, I managed to track down and plumped for a 57, but in reality it is a tiny bit too big for me, I can ride it comfortably but a 54 would definately be better suited for me.

Therefore, if anyone on here is in the opposite situation…ie has a 54 but would prefer a 57 I would be pretty keen to talk 8)

Loving all the info and apolgies for not posting a picture…i’ll get that sorted over the weekend 8)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

dpd delivers (1/2 hour within their window as well) :

belugabob
    Free Member

Kaspersky

@TurnerGuy, that’s your problem, right there – I know that finding an anti-virus solution is tricky, but Kaspersky isn’t it.

Glad you got the frame in the end – a friend of mine turned up on his Tripster for our yearly epic trek to the coast and, despite being the only rigid forked bike, kept up over the rougher sections and looked just as fresh as the rest of us, at the end.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

@TurnerGuy, that’s your problem, right there – I know that finding an anti-virus solution is tricky, but Kaspersky isn’t it.

It was the one Barclays were pushing to customers free, so I thought that I would try it rather than renew what I had before. Th 2013 version seemed to cope with the redirections OK, but I have just ‘upgraded’ to the 2014 version.

Maybe I will try McaFee ? 🙂

brassneck

Thanks for the box piccies, going to cut out and keep that to remind myself to be patient.

pryally
    Free Member

finally built mine up, ultegra 6800, cowbells, one tubeless tyres,TRP hy/rd brakes…
    taking some getting used to the tall front end!

IMG_2130 by Pryally, on Flickr

brassneck

My Cowbells have arrived, thanks Jack(?) from Charlie’s!

So I get to play ghost bike around the office at least.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Thanks for the box piccies, going to cut out and keep that to remind myself to be patient.

I could do an “Unboxing” video and put it on youtube like the other geeks do ?

the_lecht_rocks

pryally – rims ?????????

i’m thinking about some reynolds carbo’s ………….. 😈

easyrider
    Free Member

@TurnerGuy : I’m actually after a 51 having had a recent bikefit (all my bikes are usually 54 buty I am long legged apparently). Shiny Bikes say that they are flying some in by plane, should be here soon 🙂 Of course it will heh heh.

cinnamon_girl

I’m now hoping for October. 🙂 The frame does exist cos I’ve cuddled it. 😉

mistergrizzly
    Free Member

Overthehill… Sounds like a nice build and yes a photo would be good! Click on IMG in post editor? Haven’t done it myself though so may well be wrong!

Out of interest, how did you find out about the frame at Fred’s? Did you see my post or get a tip-off elsewhere? Great guys aren’t they 🙂

pryally
    Free Member

Lightbicycle 23mm wide 45mm deep U rims from china built onto novatec rims – just wanted some carbon rims, not sure if they are any better than my archetypes

overthehill50
    Free Member

mistergrizzly, yes I saw your first post on here so got over to Fred’s asap as I couldn’t get a frame anywhere else. They’ve been great to deal with – just good normal guys ! hopefully this image will work if not there’s one on Fred’s facebook page.

mistergrizzly
    Free Member

Overthehill…..

She’s a beauty…!

🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

cat is helping me, just making sure I have got everything out of the fork box :

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

with 11spd 105

pics of mudguard fittings

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

the Mudguards are M part (from Maddison) 45mm, and fitted well, I have also fitted 35mm to my ATR with 28cc road and again fitted well, Just had to put a small bend in the stay on the front left to fit better around the brake calliper, also just had to drill a hole to to fit to the seatstay bridge.

On a side note, I had to get some SKS mudguards to fit to the Kinesis 4s with 28mm as the M part “bridge support” (fitted to the seatstay bridge, where brake fits) was to thick it rubbed, so SKS bridge support uses thin metal and works well.

evilsovereign
    Free Member

So, for anyone who has a frame on pre-order like me, and is waiting for it to arrive.
    I rang upgrade on Friday for a chat, and they confirmed that the frames are coming into upgrade towards the end of November. cx disc wheelsets are not in that shipment, and are around Christmas. they’ve got 100 sets being built.
    Fatbirds seemed to be the only place left with a single 54 on the shelf.
    I was slightly alarmed to read folks on here who have cancelled orders with shinybikes. I’ve got mine on order with them, sitting on a £500 deposit, and was a bit nervous about waiting another couple of months. but stocks seemed to have dried up everywhere. Shiny bikes are under the impression that they are getting them sooner, but if the importer aren’t getting them til late November, it’s going to be a long wait.
    just thought I’d share this update with everyone.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Not sure if this picture will spur on those of you in the midst of epic cat-assisted builds, or wind up those of you waiting on frames to arrive (it’ll be worth it, I promise) but today’s early doors ride took in a chunk of climbing, mainly on quiet lanes and one section of gravel that I’ve climbed previously on the mountain bike but wanted to try on the Tripster. Not quite sure how (other than having the right tool for the job) but that turned out to be a surprise top 10 Strava segment when I uploaded the ride…

So saying, I came undone slightly yesterday. An impromptu hard and fast flat 40 miles with three others on their carbon Sunday (Saturday) best bikes. I’m sure my legs and lungs had more to do with it, but it’s hard work running 37mm tyres trying too keep up with someone on Zipp 303s… My excuse anyway. Still – it was good fun, but I was sorely tempted to jump down a couple of the cobbled lanes and loose climbs to mix it up a bit. I do feel it alters the way you look at routes now. Happy days.

overthehill50
    Free Member

Following on from gonetothehills post. Took my newly acquired Tripster on a club road run of 50miles yesterday. Tyres are Vittoria 32mm randoneurs.I kept up with everyone’s carbon bikes & averaged 17mph. The only thing I noticed speedwise is it’s not quite as quick to respond to an out of the saddle acceleration as my carbon synapse, BUT , the further I rode the better the ride got, just so smooth, & it just makes you smile – can’t explain it better than that! Also, jumped straight back on my carbon synapse(which is renowned for it’s comfy ride qualities) for a 10 mile spin to compare & it felt like I was being shook to pieces. It’s looking like the Synapse is going to be surplus to requirements, I just can’t see myself climbing over the Tripster to get to the Synapse anytime soon! 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Overthehill – yep, similar average speed for me, but whilst me legs knew about it today, like you’re suggesting, the comfort with which you make rapid progress is a real bonus. My 16lb carbon bike went within a few months of the Tripster arriving… 🙂 Really glad you’re enjoying your Tripster so much.

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

Gonetothehills
    Is that the Cloud in the background ? If so, where was the picture taken from, Gun Hill area ? Nice Tripster:)

gonetothehills
    Free Member

It is! Good spot. I did a loop from Macc up above Sutton, then down into Wincle and at Swythamley Hall, took the left hand turn up past the farm, rather than staying on the road heading towards the back of Gun Hill. The road becomes a bit of a track then at the gate by the houses at Clough Head, it’s stone, grass and gravel – perfectly rideable – up to Roach End, where the pic was taken. Went round the back of the Roaches, up to Flash, over Axe Edge and down the Cat. I could have come up with quieter roads for the return, but the views were great this morning. We’re spoilt round here…

laughingontheinside
    Free Member

I’ve been in the same area this afternoon but stayed on the road. Lots of quiet lanes and stunning scenery. We are lucky to have the Staffordshire Moorlands/Peak District on our doorstep.

scandalous
    Free Member

Anyone else had issues with weird tide marks appearing on frame after being cleaned??

Tried everything to make them go away (including degreasing with white spirit) but to no avail.

Anyway, after this mornings prep for next weeks hard training plan I tried using windowleen on the frame and now shiny and gorgeous with no streaky tide marks!!! Yey!!

russ295
    Free Member

I swapped the stock tyres for some 28mm gator skins as soon as I got mine but felt a bit meh!
    Fitted some 37mm slicks on this morn and went for a 30 mile mix of bridleways/road/singletrack and apart from falling off and gashing my finger on a thorny bush it was like a different bike. It felt like I was riding a nice comfy armchair and could have rode all day!

brassneck

Shiny bikes are under the impression that they are getting them sooner, but if the importer aren’t getting them til late November, it’s going to be a long wait.

Let’s hope they come up with the goods. Don’t mind sticking it out a few weeks more, but end of November might send me in the direction of the LBS with the cheap Croix in the window. But I really want the Tripster now, so I guess I’ll just have to hold off.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I noticed at lunchtime that Maplin sell silver/grey cable ties…

DrP

Scandalous..
    My frame’s covered in odd ‘buffs’ and marks from frame bags rubbing… All adds to the character!

DrP

Viewing 40 posts - 921 through 960 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.