Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • hummerlicious
    Free Member

@cr500dom – no they’re not small block 8’s, they are Conti CX kings in 42mm width. Reasonably fast on the road, but a decent volume for off road, which is the bulk of my miles.

@somafunk – my lbs is getting some ortleib bags in soon, so I’m waiting to see what they are like.

I’m ordering the Exposure lights Revo next week for it

birdage

I know it looks funny but flawless round Stanmer on 1 x 10 and still no chain drop!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/p6qS38]20140906_111256[/url] by Birdage, on Flickr

the_lecht_rocks

cut some pepsi max can 1″ x 2.5″ and fitted in the seat tube.

seems solid and reluctant to slip, time will tell…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I knew there was something that looked wrong about that bike, and now I see it. Toe clips!

somafunk

Toe clips on a Tripster?, dunno if I should be disappointed or rejoicing in the owners eccentricity …. I’m confused ?

scandalous
    Free Member
    crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

hands up who got their quote linked!!

Me!!

corporate shill.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

hands up who got their quote linked!!

Quoted and used my pic of Maureen the cow! *swoon*

birdage

Yeah I know, I’m confused. Tried clipless but I’ve got cartilage and cruciate damage and clipless just aggravates it. Works for me.

bajsyckel

Slightly OT but I notice several people on this thread are using the kinesis crosslight wheelset. I’ve been looking for a set (the new ones) but everywhere seems to have sold out. Anyone care to divulge any shops that still have stock (preferably of the bargaintastic variety)?

brassneck

Pulled the trigger on the frame .. now for the groupset & wheels 😀

bugcab
    Free Member

Frame on order now planning rest of build. Having seen Somafunk disaster I am looking at clutch mech setup. Already have a set of Ultegra STOI levers but wondering if I could mix this up a bit. Would Ultegra 6800 STI levers (10 speed) work with XTR cranks mech and sprocket (10speed)?

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Christian Fairclough on a shoot for Morvelo, now is that a Tripster?

My brother @christianfairclough killing it on a shoot for Morvelo! #scott2luvit

Posted by Brendan Fairclough on Monday, September 8, 2014

birdage

You’d need a 9 speed mtb mech with 10 speed STIs. Got that set-up with road cranks.

brassneck

Slightly OT but I notice several people on this thread are using the kinesis crosslight wheelset. I’ve been looking for a set (the new ones) but everywhere seems to have sold out. Anyone care to divulge any shops that still have stock (preferably of the bargaintastic variety)?

Struggling to find any too. At the moment (as I’m hoping to have duplicate hubs in two wheelsets, one for all road one light and delicate for road) I’m looking at Superstar, as they do some cheapish builds around their Tesla hubs, including a cx set on Alex rims for around £250. Hope Hoops probably another option. I have some DT240 hubs I could get rebuilt, but might get pricy when I want the second wheelset.

Maybe be ordering the group from Germany, as no one seems to have stock of a matching set in 105 (or lower).

eshoote
    Free Member

Hopefully taking the Tripster on a cargo ship across the Caspian sea to Kazakhstan tonight. The bike still amazes me: so fast and comfortable!
    My modifications for central Asia and China have not gone well though. Best wide touring tyres I could find in Tbilisi or Baku were 28mm Four Seasons! Just 3mm wider than my Gaterskin, every little helps right? I also have to stick with 11:25 cassette with 30:39:50 on front, no 28 or 32 in 10 speed so the Himalayas will be interesting! However I have cut about 1.5kg of kit: http://welovemountains.net/faster-and-lighter-kit-list-for-central-asia/

Here’s a couple pics one before and one after my changes in Tbilisi.
    [img]http://i2.wp.com/welovemountains.net/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/20140905073452_IMG_8754.jpg[/img]

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I would get the normal switch hubs instead of the tesla as they are really the more bullet proof novatechs. And I assume that you are a dab hand at trimming up wheels as SS wheels haven’t got a great rep for build quality.

I was thinking of trying this guy once :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stans-Iron-Cross-lightweight-cyclocross-bike-wheels-/161329195550?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item258ff82a1e

his builds are cheaper on his web site :

http://www.spokesmanwheels.co.uk/7.html

and he uses the novatech hubs.

there’s something about being away shortly though.

brassneck

Nice one, checking out his stock list. Was slightly wary of the SS for that very reason. Not sure it’s worth saving £50 for over the Iron Cross set on your link.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Trouble with the Iron Cross is if you want to use them for road tyres as well, as I think they have a max pressure limitation. 45 without tubes but still less than road psis with a tube. But they have better bead locks than the Alphas.

I think the Velocity A23s go tubeless well, or a version of them can, might be worth looking at.

I have Iron Crosses on Hope Pro2 Evos myself, with Maxxis Raze. I will probably get my Hope Pro 3s built onto Alphas or Velocity A23s for road use.

brassneck

Yup, the iron cross would be the posh off road wheels. Though I’m not convinced I need anything posh offroad, matching the hubs to make a wheel swap straightforward and light road wheels are the priority. Have the luxury of a bit of time to think about.

easyrider
    Free Member

The HPlus sons Archetype rim is a better bet than the Velocity and much nicer finished, similar weight and price. What about Evo2/Stans Crest? For a 380grm rim they are tough, I’ve used them on my 29er for years and they are still true (with big fat tyres admittedly).

JRA on vleocity here

Gotama
    Free Member

JRA quote the Crests as being lighter than the Grails and the Iron Cross. Where is the benefit in a CX rim which adds the extra weight over the crest?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Designed for different tyres – crests can be a pain to get certain cx tyres on.

The old ZTR355 rims were pretty good for CX I understand the bead locks are much more secure than the Alphas – if you ever see a 2nd hand 29er set.

easyrider
    Free Member

STW on Crests vs IronCross

My tripster build has so many options it’s a tough one to decide.
    Evo2 is settled anyhow. Crests may be a bit wide but they are merely 1mm wider than Velocity (from memory). After this Fridays trip around the Brecons then I could try mounting a CX raze and a 25c gp4000 on the crest. But otherwise the IronCross gets it, its the same weight as Crest. And I love my Crests 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I reckon a Raze might go on a crest OK as they are not supertight on the iron cross, but I do remember seeing a post where someone had an issue – burping maybe ?

liam007
    Free Member

Hey well I’ve only gone and joined the club 😆

My new toy arrived the other day from freeborn and is a standard build kit.

Just got a few questions having been out for a couple of rides.

I definately need some extra gearing so I’m thinking first of all to go for an ultegra 12-30 cassette, just wondered those that have done it did you have to alter the chain length? I’ve never replaced a cassette before but it seems fairly straightforward any pearls of wisdom or do’s or don’ts?

I’m thinking of going to a dyno light like the one hummerlicious has bought, the Revo, just wondered what hub wheel he’s got and what sort of price i should be looking at. I think the current wheels are pretty awesome though so still unsure??

How are people getting on with the different bar set-ups, I’m thinking of going for either the cowbells or woodchippers, any other suggestions?

I’ll get a couple of pics up when I get a chance.

Cheers from one very happy tripster owner

Liam

the_lecht_rocks

Liam, I’m led to believe the short 105 mech will work with a 30t cassette. You might have to add some b screw to move top jockey away a wee bit.

I’d consider a compact chainset too, unless you’re training gor the pro peleton… Without a low gear, off-roading is brutal. On road, my 34/28 granny gets me up everything, but is tough off-road on rocks….

I’m also after some cowbells methinks….what other choics are there ?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

TLR – that’s helpful advice on the mech and 30T cassette. My drivetrain’s due for a renewal and was pondering going to 30T on the back (it’s a 6700 34/50 on the front). Same as you – I can haul my sorry ass up most stuff on road with 34/28 but do fancy a little bit more if it’s not going to be a pain to live with. If a 30T 10spd will go on the back with a short cage Ultegra mech then I might just give it a try.

You’ve got me looking at those bars now too… Charlie TBM has a few to choose from.

Talking of whom, that gravel ride of his in my old back yard looked great fun. Might have to put it on the ‘to do’ list for next year.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Liam, I’m led to believe the short 105 mech will work with a 30t cassette. You might have to add some b screw to move top jockey away a wee bit.

got that combo here and it works fine – with a 46/34 on the front (changed the inner ring). Runs smoother than my medium cage 105 with an sram cassette with 32 on.

Don’t think I even moved the b screw, but can’t remember. Can take a photo if you want it.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

@liam007 I’ve got the Exposure front hub, well when it arrives anyway, I’m waiting! Hopefully today…..

I got a pair of the Stan’s Grail rims yesterday, just gotta sort out a rear hub, probably Hope.

cloudnine
    Free Member

There was a good deal on pro2 hubs a few days ago
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/psa-hope-pro-2-evo-rear-hub-72

somafunk

I’m thinking of going to a dyno light like the one hummerlicious has bought, the Revo, just wondered what hub wheel he’s got and what sort of price i should be looking at.

i’m just about to order the son 28 dynamo hub and a sinewave usb headset charging plug, i’ve still to decide on suitable rim and light.

thomthumb
    Free Member

my b+M iq cyo is a fantastic dyno light on the road. the beam is shaped like a cars headlight so it doesn’t blind oncoming traffic; but lights up unlit country lanes. It’s not quite bright enough for off road; i use a second light on the bars if it’s needed.

andyfla
    Free Member

Supernova plug is another option

rogerover
    Free Member

Firstly – thanks everyone for a brilliant thread. I’m considering cycling the Great Divide Route from Canada to New Mexico on a Tripster ATR and would be interested to hear your opinions on whether the Tripster would be the bike to use (or not). I’m cycling with an good friend who has completed most of the route on a Cove Hummer and he’s of the opinion that I’d be better off with front suspension. My hearts set on a Tripster though!

Gotama
    Free Member

^^ Don’t a lot of people do it with a rigid front mtb? Search for jameso on this forum as he did a good write up a long time ago when he rode the great divide (and almost won iirc) on a rigid Jones. You may even be able to stalk him from the Pinnacle Arkose thread which is ongoing at the moment.

dknwhy

I seem to recall someone (maybe James?) saying that he wouldn’t dream of doing it on a cross bike as it would be so tiring on the washboard sections.

somafunk

Have you Tripster peeps seen the Ashima Hydro Caliper , i have a new need to pair these with a set of Pauls brake levers

bluesmartie
    Free Member

Whilst TRP Spyres appear to be the defacto brakes for our beloved ATRs has anyone looked at shimano’s R685 hydraulic shifter/calipers setup?

Viewing 40 posts - 841 through 880 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.