Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • the_lecht_rocks

sanername – what size is that and how tall are you ?

somafunk

Only negative thing is the underside down tube decals. Need to replace mine as looking tatty now. Will heli tape over New ones.

That’s the one thing i don’t care for, i may try and remove all the frame decals with acetone later as i have an irrational dislike for them.

I removed all the frame and wheel decals from my Hummer, i much prefer the plain look of a bike.

sanername : your rug is wrinkled – thats an STW health and safety violation.

_tom_
    Free Member

Ahh that looks awesome, enjoy 🙂 thats the kinda bike I’d like as a dream road “bike for life” kinda thing.

the_lecht_rocks

any feedback on how fast / draggy the standard issue cx wheels and WTB tyres are ON road ?

sanername

TLR – I’m about 6’3″ and it’s the largest model they make. Still getting the set up totally sorted, I think I might get a post with more layback, as that Pro is a bit weird.

Never had the standard tyres/wheels so can’t comment. The Stans/hetre cypres combo I have is pretty nice.

DrP

Looking at the factory bike build, I just wonder what the STW mind thinks of the standard wheels – kinesis CX wheels?

Seen a good price on there whole bike, which makes buying frame and components separately a bit hard to ignore…

DrP

rewski
    Free Member

Can’t comment on the CX wheels but the Maxlight have had great reviews, I wish they were available when I got my Sync.

back2basics
    Free Member

just posting/subscribing to not miss any more ATR goodness – move along please nothing to see here.

god its so tempting to ditch the carbon road and alu cross and get one of these……………………..

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

@Somafunk, did you have any issues with fitting the rear rack with the seat stay mounted caliper? The caliper mount looks intentionally designed to move it inwards away and the rack mount is a little higher than normal. is clearance for the rack ok?

somafunk

I had to use a 5mm spacer to clear the calliper and also put a slight bend in the sks mudguard stays, you may be able to make it out in the pics.

I also squeezed the lower rack stay in a vice where it came into contact with the calliper arm.

The front mudguard stays took some creative bending in a vice

And rather than use the two outrigger stays to the seat post mounts i used one titanium outrigger stay with a bend in it and attached to the seat stay mudguard mount, when it came time to fit the mudguards i just drilled a small hole in the centre of the mudguard and bolted it and the stay to the frame, ti bolts off course 😉

the_lecht_rocks

Whoop – Full Kinesis build ordered at a frankly exceptional online price 🙂
    Thanks for all your assistance !

DrP

TLR…from…?

DrP

somafunk

T.L.R, well done – you can now join in with the rest of us evangelical fan boys that pollute every Tripster thread with tales and pics of our bikes.

😀

the_lecht_rocks

Freeborn DrP

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

@somafunk, thank you for those pictures! That has helped massively, my only niggle preventing me from ordering one was the rack mounting. I have just gone ahead and ordered one! Its main role will be to replace my Genesis Equilibrium which I commute 135 miles a week on but plan on using it for a bit of everything.

the_lecht_rocks

Buz, where from ? 🙂

gonetothehills
    Free Member

LOL @ somafunk. Guilty as charged!
    TLR & Buzz – well done too. Happy days ahead. Just plotting my early ride tomorrow, heading over Longnor way… #TripsterTime

somafunk

Wahay….another convert to our Tripster love in session, i seriously should give Dom a call and bend his ear about a discount on a second set of Crosslight CX disc wheels……. 😀

You’ll see in the pic below the very minimal amount i had to squeeze my Tubus Fly rack in the vice to get full clearance from the brake actuation arm, this, along with a 5mm M5 plastic spacer from my spare parts tub gave ample clearance.

The Tripster is truly an inspirational ride……….

I had planned to be stuck inside all afternoon editing tracks for our dance tent at the Wickerman Festival but all the talk on here of riding made me think ****-it, the sun is out i’m going out for a run” which was a damn good idea as i had run out of inspiration for a specific intro to a track i’m trying to compose, on the way back in to town from the festival site there is a long hill that it’s possible to hit 50mph+ on the descent if the wind is behind you, on the way down the hill i ran out of leg speed at 40mph+ and just tucked and held on in the drops, the sound of the freewheel spinning up was pretty cool so i came back home and gorilla taped my tascam 24bit recorder to my seat stay with a bit of padding around it and headed back out, got to the top of the hill and set the levels etc and hoofed it down the hill till i couldn’t spin any more and recorded the Fzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz of the freewheel as it wound up to speed. It sounds freakin amazing so i’m spending tonight buggering about with it and hopefully by the end of the weekend i’ll be done and i’ll have a very unusual intro.

So the Tripster’s not just for riding, it’s an aid to productivity as well. 😀

^ That’s not the actual wicker man that gets burnt, thats just the wicker guy that greets you at the entrance gate to the festival, the actual wicker man is being built (far larger) up on site towards the hills you can see in the background but i didn’t take a pic as the design is meant to be a surprise each year.

DrP

TLR… that’s where I’ve been looking!

Had a fairly busy, stressful, yet financially productive month at work…

This may well be my gift to me……

DrP

somafunk

That freeborn price is not that far off the trade price so it’s a fantastic deal,

DrP

5 foot 10…..
    What size do we reckon…?

DrP

Jamie
    Free Member

177.8cm

somafunk

I’d say 57cm.

DrP

I weigh more than 1.51 kg though 🙁

Oh well…..

DrP

somafunk

That’s alright… I lie about my weight as well 😀

the_lecht_rocks

I’m 182cm but went with the 57cm . If it’s going to gtr the odd blast in thee forest, then I think slightly shorter in the top tube would help.

DrP

Ooh…I’ve just got the go ahead from the other half (not under the thumb…but it’s important to check these things really are ok..!) to get some ti lushness!
    Just need to get e size sorted then we’re good to go!

How about I organise a “STW tripster big bike ride” soon?
    The brighton-london-Brighton ride would be perfect for these bikes….anyone on there south coast interested???

DrP

Buzzlightyear
    Free Member

Ive also ordered from Freeborn, silly not to go with them at that price.

I am 178cm and have gone for a 54, ive long legs and a short upper so the 57 would have been to long.

Up for a ride, i am surrey way.

the_lecht_rocks

i think they are on back order at freeborn so i have a week or so before delivery.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

DrP – I’m 5’11” and have a 54cm. I deliberated for ages about it (the old alloy Tripster was a 54, but slightly different geometry of course) but Kinesis’ size chart suggests I should be on a 57 from memory. You can see the seatpost that’s showing on mine in the pic earlier in the thread if it helps – and I think it’s 90mm stem on there too.

andyfla
    Free Member

Hmm, only heard about these last week and very tempted now – anyone know the brakes I need that have cables to a hydraulic reservoir on the caliper ? and any experience of them ?

the_lecht_rocks

OK EXPERTS – the newish panaracer gravel king in 28c width – a good selection for 90% road / 10% offroad use for my commute on the CX wheelset supplied ?

russ295
    Free Member

I hate this site!
    I’ve been toying between a px carbon road, xl or a dirty disco for ages but always loved the look of the atr but at £2.5k it was a bit rich, but at that price………argggg.
    Decisions!
    5’6″ – 51cm or smaller?

somafunk

russ295 I’m 5’6″ (but used to be 3″ taller till i fecked my spine) with a 31″ inside leg and i have a 54cm, it fits me perfect, see earlier post regarding sizing.

TLR, depends on what type of off-road surface, if it’s mainly hardpack then i imagine they’ll be spot on but if there is a chance of any mud, wet grass or loose gravel then you may find traction to be lacking, my Clement Strada LGG 120tpi look quite similar in profile with the side chevrons and they’re spot on for the hardpack shore roads and route joining trails i ride down here but if it’s wet/greasy or muddy then i take it very easy, not had an off or a puncture yet so the gravel king could be a good choice if you think you can get away with it – I ran the standard wtb tyres for a month and they’re perfectly decent on the road, try them first.

I also have the X’plor MSO 40mm/120tpi and X’plor USH 35mm/120tpi and the USH is a great tyre for really mixed conditions, rolls surprisingly fast due to solid centre strip, the MSO is a chunky, knobbly tyre that can take a beating, done the red at Dalbeattie and red/black Kirroughtree using this one on the Tripster.

andyfla : I’d forget about the hope master cylinder reservoir idea, with the power these cable brakes have along with the excellent modulation it is simply not needed and all it does is add weight and unnecessary complexity – i’ve worked on bikes that have it fitted and it’s pig ugly and offers nothing over the standard tektra lyra brakes.

andyfla
    Free Member

I’d forget about the hope master cylinder reservoir idea, with the power these cable brakes have along with the excellent modulation it is simply not needed and all it does is add weight and unnecessary complexity – i’ve worked on bikes that have it fitted and it’s pig ugly and offers nothing over the standard tektra lyra brakes

Cheers

cloudnine
    Free Member

Hmm, only heard about these last week and very tempted now – anyone know the brakes I need that have cables to a hydraulic reservoir on the caliper ? and any experience of them ?

Go mechanical .. TRP spyres FTW

5’6″ – 51cm or smaller?

Im 5ft 4 and have the 49cm. You are welcome to have a go if anywhere near west wales.

That freeborn price is amazing. I picked up my frameset for £999 but had most of the parts to fit.

the_lecht_rocks

yep – i wanted one anyway but freeborn sold it to me at a steal:)

the_lecht_rocks

cheers soma – will experiment with both the WTBs and the gravel kings

russ295
    Free Member

Cheers for the offer cloud nine but miles away.

bobster
    Free Member

Absolutely fantastic bike.

It’s responsible for getting me out riding again. It loves road rides, it loves off-road rides, it loves mixed rides. I’m amazed at how capable it is off-road, and that’s with the standard 32mm tyres, can’t wait to get something around 40mm on.

The type of ride it seems most suited to is a ‘follow your nose’ ride, taking you where you fancy.

For reference for sizing, I’m a tad under 5′ 8″, 29″ inside leg, riding a 51, fits perfectly.

Oh, and Ti King Cages compliment it nicely.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.