Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • brassneck

Brassneck – mine was under 18lbs with a few carbon bits on it and 25c tyres, ultegra 6700 – nothing way over the top.

FFS stop it!!

So eventually (I appreciate the Freeborn build will probably be heavier, anyone got an out of the box weight?) it could be at least comparable with a Planet X or Ribble low end carbon? As thats what I would mostlikely replace the Giant OCR1 with, and look for a CdF on Bike2Work if it ever gets approved .. but a little weight penalty for 1 less bike and Ti I can handle..
    Do Freeborn do credit or am I looking for a 0% card 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Thanks to pryally, gonetothehills and birdage for answering my q. 8)

Thanks also to cloudnine for his pic and it does look good. Can I ask what width 4 Seasons you’re running and is that an alloy seat post?

Many thanks to somafunk for an updated pic of his gorgeous Tripster. Another one wanting to know about the Ti seat post, what make is it and where from?

cloudnine
    Free Member

CG.. 28c 4season and a Crank Bros cobalt 3 seatpost from CRC as it was the cheapest i could find as id spent all my money on the frameset.

Got my eye on a Ti seatpost from taiwan for £40 but as i dont have much seatpost showing im not sure how much difference it will make

cr500dom
    Free Member

Brassneck mine was a 51cm frame, full kinesis build kit and shimano downhill SPDs and it weighed 19lb dead

brassneck

Brassneck mine was a 51cm frame, full knees is build kit and shimano downhill SPDs and it weighed 19lb dead

Perfect, appreciated. Room for improvement if desired then.
    Looks like I’ll be ordering on my return from holiday.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Anyone 6′ 5″ running a 60 ? Can you get the bars and saddle at the same height ?

the_lecht_rocks

First weeks commuting completed. 260km of road, gravel and forest roads on the panarCer gravel kings and 34/50 11-28 gearing. Nothing higher would cope with my commuting roads. My knees are feeling it tonight.
    The tyres are great. Fast on road, fast on gravel, secure on the dry guard pack. They don’t work on or in mud I font think.
    Frame and fork are simply superb. Perfect geometry, comfy and just about perfect.
    Eccentric gage brakes are great.
    Weekend off the tripster, up to aviemore on the carbon road racer, roll on Monday !

somafunk

Another one wanting to know about the Ti seat post, what make is it and where from?

I’d lie to say it’s a Kent Eriksen sweetpost but it’s not, although i seriously did consider buying one, It’s a Lynskey Ti inline post with an integral ENVE seat clamp, The clamp is a total fit n’ forget item and i’m very happy with it.

One thing i’m not happy about is my wheels 🙁 I’ve just realised i have a set of last years Kinesis CX crosslight wheels V2, and the new wheels i bought are Kinesis CX crosslight V3 – there is a slight discrepancy between the hubs on the two models so my dreams of being able to swap wheels in a flash have come to nothing as the discs rub when swapping between versions so i guess i’m gonna sell the V2 from last year and buy another set of V3 – bugger!.

I thought about keeping them but it’s a hassle to set up the disc clearance every time i swap from my slick shod wheel set to my off-road tyre wheel set as fiddling with disc clearance kinda defeats the purpose of having two sets of wheels.

Anyone want a very good condition set of V2 CX disc Wheels? for £150 – i’ll include skewers and two new TRP Spyre 160mm discs, still got the box that my V3 wheels came in two days ago so they’ll be well packaged up…Ho-hum……off to the classifieds now.

DrP

Bugger about the wheels…

I’ve been playing around with mine – fitted 42mm tyres, but not yet ridden as plagued with a migraine today 🙁

Spent a bit of time sewing a partial frame bag – should just about fit my lunch for those longer rides!!

DrP

somafunk

Neat looking frame bag, but i guess you’ve had plenty of practice when stitching folk up 😀 , If that will just about hold your lunch i imagine you are talking about a continental style 3 hr lunch/feast?.

hummerlicious
    Free Member

He carries a lot of food! But then he goes so bloody quick he needs to keep the fuel topped up…

hummerlicious
    Free Member

BTW I got the 42C continental tyres off Madison as I work in the trade

cinnamon_girl

somafunk – thanks for answering my q and am sorry to hear about your wheelset, what a pita.

somafunk

Your welcome C-G, the wheels are a bit of an arse but another set have just been ordered from freeborn (don’t want to miss out at that price) – hopefully the V2’s will sell quickly on the classifieds otherwise i’m eating boiled rice for breakfast/lunch/tea for the next few weeks 😀

cr500dom
    Free Member

How can you tell the difference between the V2 and V3 wheelsets ?

birdage

47mm landcruiser fitted fine with plenty of clearance in the front.

Unfortunately same can’t be said for the caliper and spokes. Rather than change tyres, used a Stans Crest wheel and some spokes were hitting the caliper. Least I know now.

somafunk

There’s a weight difference (V3 are 240g lighter) V3 have eyelets, and a slightly different profile to the rear hub

Birdage, space the disc out using Disc spacer shims

brassneck

Birdage, space the disc out using Disc spacer shims

Aye done that myself to make different generations of Hope hubbed wheels play nice in one frame & disc brake.

cr500dom
    Free Member

somafunk – Member

There’s a weight difference (V3 are 240g lighter) V3 have eyelets, and a slightly different profile to the rear hub

I`ve just checked…..
    mine have eyelets, other wise I’d have had your V2`s off you 😳

birdage

I’ll give that a go, cheers!

teadrinker
    Free Member

Just spent the last half hour happily drinking coffee and reading this thread with joy. Absolutely beautiful frame but sadly way out of my price range! Any suggestions for a cheaper option at all? Not sure I have the patience to wait for the new Ace? Thanks

cloudnine
    Free Member

Last time i looked theres two 51cm decade tripster framesets (2nds?) in the upgrade bikes outlet £199

teadrinker
    Free Member

I’m 6ft 4 cloudnine 🙁

Thanks though.

DrP

Soo… bashed out just shy of 30 miles on the Tripster this morning, really to test out the 42c tyres.

By ‘eck they really do make a difference to the bike!
    Granted, the road speed is now slightly slower on the flat, but actually when really giving it some up the hills (on road) you can feel the rear gripping so much more.

But it’s off-road the real difference is felt. I’ve been really testing the capabilities of the bike off road – not just on the simple dirt/gravel tracks, but proper stony fireroad, horse tracks, and ‘light’ xc stuff.
    The 42c tyres transform the bike quite a lot – on certain stretches it was feeling on par with my 29er scandal in terms of ‘what it could handle’, albeit I was riding along on the drops at about 20mph off road!
    It’s not to say the original ride was a bad one, and I’ll most likely stick the MTB 32c tyres back on as they probably given the ‘best mix’ of on and off road capability, but if you were to consider using this for mostly off road – stick some big rubber in there and this thing’ll fly!

I’m going to given the SDW a go over the next few months (aiming for 10ish hours total) and I think the tripster and these tyres are the machine for it!!

DrP

birdage

What I found out this morning was it’s not really working with a compact front and 11-36 out back. Jammed a few gears. Suppose I’ll have to reduce the ratio at the back or return to 1 x 10 which was fine and simple anyway. Still got some nice speeds though and a refreshing dip in the sea at Rottingdean!

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Hot of the bike stand! more info later off to ride it! 😆 😀

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I have one of those stands – look promising but in reality pretty poor so it never gets used…

the_lecht_rocks

06.40 on way to work on 24/07 :

[/url]IMAG0401 by the_lecht_rocks, on Flickr[/img]

cinnamon_girl

DrP – that’s interesting, thank you for the tyre report. 🙂

MTB_Rob – looks like tubeless? Can’t see what the tyres are but presumably road ones. Will look out for your first ride report. 🙂

t_l_r has a lovely coloured pack there. 🙂 Is that one of them ‘gravel roads’ that keeps getting mentioned?

the_lecht_rocks

cg – yep – i use the gravel and forest roads every day for my commute 😈

gonetothehills
    Free Member

So.. after last weekend’s cattle grid / adhesion / gravity debacle, I got to do the route I wanted to try out this afternoon. It was a mix of lanes and offroad sections – landrover tracks, hardpack, some old drove roads and a section of R55 – the Middlewood Way, that’s easy shale / hardpack. I hugely enjoyed the bit up through Lyme Park that I’d not explored before – absolutely beautiful scenery and a surface ideally suited to the Tripster.

I’m getting used to the Land Cruiser tyres – the contact patch on tarmac is remarkably slim (hence why they don’t feel too slow on the road, I guess) and I’m not 100% convinced in the wet, but on gravel, they seem to do the trick quite capably. The pic was taken early into the ride, above Pott Shrigley looking out towards Manchester and beyond. All rather good fun 🙂

the_lecht_rocks

great pic 🙂

Nipper99
    Free Member

are they the 700 x 40 Land Cruisers?

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Cheers, TLR – meant to say your commute looked grand too!

Nipper99 – yes; they’re 700×40 wire bead. Not the lightest by any stretch of the imagination but they fit fine and roll well.

DrP

This is what you guys want..!!
    Conti Cyclo X king, 42c..

DrP

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Hmm – tempting! What’s it like on the road though? In reality even if I go looking for routes with good offroad sections on, that’s still only going to be 30 – 40% max of the ride…

Nipper99
    Free Member

I’ve got the 40c LCs as they were cheap for the summer – I can recommend the 35c Kenda Slant 6s which come up the same size as the 40 LCs.

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

Went out with the local road club, Good first ride for the bike not so good for the rider, I suffered big time in the heat and lack of fitness (not riding enough.) Even got some PB on everyones fav GPS/route tracking website,
    it is set up as a “road bike”
    The bike handled it well. Comfy, responsive, handled really nicely, good and fun on the downs, just need to do a few tweaks to a few things but really happy with it

CG yes tubeless setup, Schwalbe “one” 28cc road tyres role well, need to tinker with the pressures, I think they can be a little bit better

I am really impressed with the ultegra 6800 11spd groupset rear shifts really nice, need to tweak/set up the front trim a bit bitter thou

Build went well, rear brake was a bit of a pain to set up for some reason.
    57cm frame only was 1.56kg (3.43lb) frame & forks inc headset 2.08Kg
    Complete bike is 9.53Kg (21lb)

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the update Rob. Will it be used strictly on the road?

jdeasey
    Free Member

Here’s a pic of my recently acquired Tripster (from Freeborn) in it’s element on the Pennine moors 🙂

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9m8hi9atly4k4qr/2014-07-20%2010.59.17.jpg

JD

Viewing 40 posts - 481 through 520 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.