Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 2,724 total)
  • Tripster ATR finally built up – lush!
  • the_lecht_rocks

i did initially, but thought the 28c gravel king would be a better road choice, which was the original premise for the bike………..however, it’s so capable on gravel / forest roads that i’m considering the crosswolfs to be refitted – i probably will when the weather turns wintry, but for now i think i wil persevere with the 28c gravel kings.

what are you using ?

cr500dom
    Free Member

The original Crosswolfs
    I have got a set of 28C 4 seasons on their way though

splorer

Hi, could those running a 57cm size, tell me what the standover height is. I am a little over 180cm but am long backed, so I tend to run longer top tubes.

somafunk

Thanks to the very nice peeps at Freeborn i’m now the proud owner of a spare Kinesis CX wheelset to be set up as a quick swap for off-road jaunts, tubeless of course…. using my usual gorilla tape tubeless method and stans tubeless valves, gonna be fitting my Clement X-PLOR MSO tyres to this set of wheels so that will leave me with my current Kinesis CX wheelset as a permanent road set-up.

And i received my TRP Spyre SLC brake set as well, only fitted the rear so far and i’m busy for the following week wi wickerman festival stuff so i’ll not get to fit the rest of the cables/brakes/wheelset till next week but i thought i’d post up my progress as i’m sure there’s folk interested regarding clearance for racks/mudguards etc.

As you can see from the pics the TRP Spyre SLC calliper is narrower than the Tektro Lyra so fitment of racks and mudguards should be relatively easy, you can see how much clearance i have with my Tubus Airy rack fitted to the rear mounts.

Loads of clearance above for the rack without use of a 5mm spacer, vs very minimal clearance and use of a 5mm spacer below

I’ve no idea about power/modulation or lever feel as i’m waiting on 4 XT discs to fit to the wheel sets, and the Yokozuna compressionless cable set seems very good quality, i dare say if the Spyres are as good as the Lyras then i’ll be happy, they’re shinier so that’s a win for the biketart effect anyway – 6 grams heavier than the Lyras but i’m not gonna throw a hissy fit as i could prob do with losing a couple of KG from myself 😉

DrP

Those spyres do look lovely!!

DrP

cinnamon_girl

Still following this thread and somafunk has set the bar unbelievably high for the loveliest looking Tripster. 😀

My self-control really is being tested. 🙂

birdage

Been running TRP spyres for a while, really good modulation feel if set up correctly but not convinced they offer better stopping power than the BB7s they replaced. Definitely a much easier set-up and less faffing with than the BBs. Low profile worked well with rack and panniers though I think frame bags and seat post bags suit the ATR really nicely.

HAHA Tim I knew you would! Just off to try a 47mm in the front on the Downs.

monkfish
    Free Member

Decisions, decisions. Do I get one of these or the Pro6

Andy

I have a single TRP Spyre SLC going spare if anyone wants it? 😀

gonetothehills
    Free Member

I don’t know what they think they’re playing at, but after my little incident on Saturday morning, I phoned my LBS on Saturday afternoon to place an order for a new replaceable mech hanger. They ordered from Upgrade on Monday morning and the thing’s arrived before lunch today. It’s outrageous. 🙂 Many thanks for the super speedy service, chaps – very much appreciated! I shall endeavour to remain upright in the future…

DrP

Andy..can you mail me pictures and ££ please!
    Ta!

Just been out on a quick lunchtime blast between clinics – just voer 20 miles of South Downs road and off-road… i chuffing love this bike!!

DrP

timbur
    Free Member

Would silver Open Pros look silly?
    I’m thinking it NEEDS black rims………..

birdage

Are you having a dig at my bike? Open Pros working really well for me, light, strong and built a lot faster than your Jones wheels!

cinnamon_girl

Anyone NOT using a Crossmax wheelset? If so, what? Thanks. 🙂

Interesting times currently. 8)

brassneck

For reference:
    51cm
    Std Kinesis build kit
    Shimano DX SPD pedals

19lbs dead on the digital bathroom scales

Well, that’s one less reason not to buy one. I could sell the road bike and the utility bike – wouldn’t make much money but one less bike in the garage.

Guess it’d get down to 18ish with (eventual) pimpy wheels and 25mm road tyres?

cloudnine
    Free Member

I’ve just replaced my open pros with the kinesis cx disc wheelset.. Can’t actually notice much difference except the 28c tyre sits much better on the wider rim and new wheels are obviously faster

cinnamon_girl

Thanks cloudnine. 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

No Matt. I’ve got silver rims in the shed but think black looks better.

pryally
    Free Member

Ive just bought a frameset and will have 2 sets of wheels :-

– Archetypes on shimano cx75 centre lock hubs bought off here.
    – chinese carbon rims built onto novatec hubs probably running tubeless
    schwable ones if i can get them on the bloody rim!

charliemort

@ hummerlicious – where did you get those 42c tyres from? I can’t find information on them anywhere?

thx

gonetothehills
    Free Member

Brassneck – mine was under 18lbs with a few carbon bits on it and 25c tyres, ultegra 6700 – nothing way over the top.

CG – the Kinesis CX Discs are super wheels. Very light and seem to be holding up well. I’ve run 25 – 40mm tyres on them quite happily.

the_lecht_rocks

Well impressed with the kinesis cx wheels here too so far. Hit lots of rocks , forest paths and asphalt without issue so far….

birdage

No problem with 40c on the Open Pros, only used them cause I had no money and got them rebuilt with new hubs, but glad I did.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thought it was about time to add mine in….

ton

right you tripster owners, i am gonna ask you a question, and i want a proper honest answer, and i mean proper honest.

if you were suffering from a illness that curtailed your riding to a very sedate pace, not much over 13mph, and you could only climb hills at a snails pace in a very easy gear, and the chance of you getting the illness sorted was very slim, then would you invest in your tripster, or stick with your very nice touring bike?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Its not really a racing snakes bike.. its a light weight, bump flattner cruiser of a go nearly anywhere multi trick pony. Why would it matter how fast / slow you go? Its an ace bike and just a pure joy to ride.. so much so..I havent actually ridden my mountain bike for 3 months.
    The tripster is pretty light which may also help on climbs?
    What bike have you got and what dont you like about it?

ton

got a surly lht. i love it, it is comfy and covers all the bases i need at present.
    but i just have a itch… 😀

rewski
    Free Member

but i just have a itch…

and what happens when you scratch an itch ?

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

i am gonna ask you a question, and i want a proper honest answer

In my experience the answer is no. On road it has not really any meaningful advantage over your tourer. I used it as a winter trainer with 25mm slicks and mudguards. But it’s off-road with the 32mm cx tyres where this bike excels, it’s just brillant fun. I find myself constantly beasting it, through neccessity as much as choice. 30-28 is my easiest gear (triple and big cassette) but even at that it’s higher geared and therefore tougher than exactly the same trails on my mtb. The payoff is that it’s much more efficient, so for your extra effort you do absolutely fly.

The vast majority of the trails around me are pretty hilly, but if you live in an area with lots of flat trails then the answer might be different.

Hope this helps!

DrP

I just got some of the 42mm tires from Ribble… £22 a wheel..

DrP

charliemort

DrP – only conti cx tyres I can see on Ribble are 35mm?

somafunk

ton,

My average pace/speed according to my gps is 11.3mph and any run over 40 miles is a struggle, when i get back home i struggle to walk more than a few yards at a time. 23 years ago i broke my spine in a few places and messed up my spinal cord and other stuff, i never had any real problems till 5 years ago as i noticed my power output start to drop and my ability to turn the pedals got worse – i dropped from being able to lap the full red/black Kirroughtree 7stanes course in under 2 hours on my SS, and i could quite easily do three consecutive laps without stopping in under 7 hours, fast forward to a few weeks ago when i tried to do a lap of the red on my Cove Hummer, i gave up halfway round as i couldn’t even get the strength using gears to climb the piddling hills, and once i’m off the bike i can’t walk more than a few yards at a time so i thought **** it.

That’s why the tripster is great, i can sit and just pootle away on paths, trails and roads – i can explore anywhere and my my £4K+ build of a hummer is relegated to dog walking duties. Don’t think you need to be able to sustain a 18mph average to justify a Tripster, if you want one….buy one, It’s your money and you can spend it however you like.

Anyway…mini-rant over…here’s some more Tripster pics as i’ve finally finished fitting the TRP Spyres along with the Yokozuma brake/gear housings, still waiting on my Tubeless Schwalbe one road tyres though (not in stock till end of the month). So that’s it finally done, There’s absolutely nowt left to upgrade on it or that i could wish to change about it, i may just have to ride it now 😀

PS : it gets ridden every single day, somedays further than others but i don’t care – it’s all riding and it’s all good!

Go-on…buy one, who gives a flying **** if you climb at a snails pace?, my mother who is 61 (I’m 42) can climb just as fast as me on her Halfords Carrera and she’s not a cyclist – didn’t stop me from buying one as it makes me want to get out and ride at my own pace – it’s just a fun bike to ride that makes me happy and makes me smile when i’m out on it…nuff said.

PSS : I was lying when i said there is nothing left to upgrade, There is……I want a set of the new Paul Component 25th anniversary wheel skewers but i’m waiting on more stock of the black type arriving at Aspire Velo Tech before i order them…or perhaps the silver would look good as well?, perhaps i should just get a set of each colour for my two sets of Kinesis CX wheels.

😉

mistergrizzly
    Free Member

Hi all!
    First post guys and girls so go easy on me 🙂

Have been reading this thread with interest for some months now, and finally decided to take the plunge the other week and order a Tripster frameset and the CX wheels ready for a Campag build (excited isn’t the word!)…. funnily enough I’ve ordered some SLC’s too – great pictures and words again Soma, cheers!

Loving the fact that my dear LBS (who I’ve been a customer of for over twenty years) happens to be a Kinesis dealer, the wheels and frameset were ordered in and I went to collect…

Still in its sealed box, I gladly unravelled the frameset in the store (like it was Christmas morning), only to find that the right rear dropout was protruding through the stapled section of the box and had scraped/pierced through it during transit! The frame was firmly wedged as a result and poorly protected in terms of packaging which surprised me, and thankfully the shop agreed to return it. I took home the wheels (which incidentally the secondary packaging inside was damaged and they had ‘come together’ but I couldn’t see any issues luckily so haven’t mentioned it and kept them.

I then received the good news that the replacement frameset was in, and hastily headed to the shop 🙂 On being presented with the frame, the elation soon turned to disappointment again as there was a small gouge/scrape on the side of the seat tube down by the bottle bosses!

Closer inspection revealed it went slightly into the material and must have been quite a clash with something else, so I reluctantly and awkwardly told the guys in the shop (I really do love ’em and knew it wouldn’t be their fault etc etc) but now this lack of quality control and/or ‘proper’ protective packaging has not only given me some doubts about the product but put an awkward strain on a very long term relationship as due to this small gouge the shop are now going to have to try to replace the frame AGAIN for me because two framesets have now reached them in substandard condition, which of course is also going to be awkward for them when they call the distributor I guess!

So, after blathering on a bit to give you the background, I guess my question is if any of you guys have had any snagging/quality issues with your frames or bikes? I’m thinking it’s just sod’s law and I’ve got the only two lemons given Kinesis’ excellent reputation, but I’m just sincerely worried now that I’m spending over 1k on a frameset that my dear LBS are now attempting to return for the second time, it’s a hassle for them and a worry for me when I’ve been dying to build up one of these babies for ages now! All I want is a frameset that’s right 🙂

Loving the bike, loving the thread and all the happy times, just not loving what’s happening at the moment!

Would like to say though that A) I hope it gets remedied and B) that I look forward to sharing more with you on this thread on the build/ride/experience in the near future! I’ll keep you updated on how it goes (here’s to positivity!), cheers all, and nighty night (had to wait for four hours to post as I had always just read the forums before and never signed up to actually contribute! 🙂

somafunk

Welcome to STW mistergrizzly

I think you’ve just had the most unfortunate run of luck possible, Dom and his crew at Kinesis/Upgrade bikes are brilliant to deal with, i used to work in a bike shop and nothing was too much hassle for them so i guess you’re just gonna have to be patient but you’re quite right in not accepting a frame set unless you are 100% happy with the condition of it – especially given the price of the Tripster.

We always had quite sympathetic carriers who delivered our frames to the shop and they took great care in ensuring the bike/frame boxes were secured and protected but i guess not all carriers/drivers are quite as caring about the goods they deliver – I’m sure it will all be good in the end but i imagine you’re chomping at the bit to get it built and head out in this fine summer we’re having, not to mention joining in the tripster love in on this thread wi pics and tales of rides.

mistergrizzly
    Free Member

Cheers somafunk, much appreciated 🙂

Fingers crossed it all goes swimmingly…!

the_lecht_rocks

ton – mine has been ridden everyday since i got it 3 weeks ago. mostly commutinhg. but commuting with a difference , both on road, b-roads, gravel paths and forest roads.

the weather this week has encouraged me to up the distances in and home and the bike is soooo comfy, forgiving and brilliant, i’m like the rest – recommending one !

i’m not out for a race, i’m out for a ride and to see, smell and appreciate all the emotion of cycling – the tripster is the vehicle of choice !

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Nice write up Sumafunk, love the build, did you get that seatpost in the UK?, (assumes Kent Eriksen)

cloudnine
    Free Member

There will be a few cheapish tripster framesets on the upgrade bikes outlet shortly..
    I bought mine from there and also arrived with one of the dropouts poking out through the box.. Luckily was OK

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

As well as gearing, another reason I find myself having no choice but to give it full beans on the Tripster is that due to the skinny tyres and no-suss, the only way to get over obstacles is to monster it. An mtb with a triple would offer much more scope to enjoy a relaxed pace, admire the scenery etc.

The average speed comparison depends on what route you’re riding. My effort last night was 11.5mph over 25m, a third on road, two thirds off-road. It was a huge effort. I was obliged to go much harder and thus went much faster than I ever did on my mtb.

For flat off-roading I’d be inclined to stick with the nice tourer and perhaps change tyres if needs be. Of course you could change out to a Tripster, but I suspect (though may be wrong) that as you already have a nice tourer you’d experience more of a marginal gain than most posters on here who are coming from more distant niches.

charliemort

I find myself getting the ‘orn over one of these, but already have a Fargo and a roadbike

heeeelllpp……………

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 2,724 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.