Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • tripple chain ring woes
  • andybrad

Hi folks. Please help me out as im having a bit of an issue with the tripple on my 2013 orange 5.
    Basically when hanging from the granny ring to the middle chain ring it ends up getting the chain well and truly wedged between the two. This has happened twice now on separate rides. Usually im going up hill and the force wedges it so bad I have to remove the chain ring bolts to get it out.

Any ideas what could be causing it? And howto stop it happening?

Cheers

wwaswas

It happened to me when I fitted an XTR M970/80 (not sure which) inner ring to an XT chainset.

jekkyl

maybe it should be trippple?

andybrad

Sorry the spelling isn’t up to standard. Its a raceface setup btw if thats any difference?

wwaswas

have you changed anything recently?

bigyinn
    Free Member

Is the granny round the wrong way? I’ve got a RF granny on my XT cranks and it looks the same from both sides, but it might be subtly different. The lettering punch into the ring should be to the outside of the crank. The same applies to the middle ring.

buck53

I’ve had this when the low limit screw isn’t set low enough, basically the cage is so close to the chain in the lower ring that it doesn’t have time to catch the middle ring before the cage pushes it into the edge of the middle ring

andybrad

Ive not changed anything. It runs fine on the stand and only goes wring when its muddy, possibly

slackalice
    Free Member

Could be that the inner cable has stretched, if I understand correctly that its not shifting up from granny to middle?

How much slack is there in the cable when on the granny ring?

coatesy
    Free Member

Have you got a bent chainring (or two), by any chance?

dirtydog
    Free Member

+1 for the bent ring/rings and or chain, could have happened last time it got jammed up.

Try not to change up the rings when going up hill, if you do then ease of the power until the chain is fully engaged.

andybrad

Tbh it struggles to select the middle ri g when it happens so im wondering if it’s the derailleur? How wpukd you bend a granny ring?

andybrad

Right folks ive had a look at this today and here’s a bit of back ground and I would like some help if at all possible? Starting from the top ive a 2013 orange 5 (yes the issue could be im not using 650b wheels) and all has been well up until recently. I haven’t changed anything apart from the chain lube from muc off to finish line… Recently (the last 2 rides) ive had issues where the chain has got completely jammed between the granny ring and the middle ring. Its taken either a lot of brute force (fist time) of taking the chain ring bolts out (second time) to get the chain free.

Ok so setting everything up from scratch. In the middle chain wheel it runs very smoothly up and down the rear cassette. The only slight issue is that it runs a little bit close to the front derailleur at the extremes but this is to be expected running a 3 cog up front and 10 rear. Now then on the granny ring this is where things get bad. If you run the chain so its just kissing the inner edge of the derailleur it seems to run ok. However if you give it just a tad of clearance it seems to want to jump off to the inside. Surely this isn’t right and it should run on the largest cog / smallest chain wheel with no issues? This seems to be exuberated with either slow shifting or going up hill under power (generally when I’m dropping to the granny ring).

Nowthen another thing is that when I select the middle ring it sounds as if the bb bearsings are gone. Its proper rough so im thinking that it’s the chain as without the chain on it all feels smooth. But why would a rough chain cause it to only have issues in the granny ring?

So without starting to swap bits out whats the best method of diagnosis? I never had this problem with sram stuff.

Cheers

Andy

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘tripple chain ring woes’ is closed to new replies.