Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • triple to double for xc racing – anyone regret it?
  • DT78
    Free Member

I know 1×11 is where it is at, but I’m still running ‘old school’ 10 speed with a 42/32/24 on a 29er. Looking to replace the crank and thinking about a double, larger ring on the triple is only used on road, at the start of races and on flat out fire road stretchs.

I seem to spend a lot of time in the 32 – and on longer races when I tire sit in 24 spinning away (36t cassette)

Will I find I’m constantly in the wrong gear on a 38/26? Like I’m finding on my compact road crank? How much of a change is going up to a 26 from 24?

Anyone regret the move? Presume 2 rings is a chunk lighter than 3 too.

njee20
    Free Member

Not a chunk, it’s the weight of a granny ring lighter.

I liked it, but more because I didn’t really like the ratios on a triple with 26″ wheels. The 32t was spinny, the 44t too tall, would end up changing a lot. 40/28 was really nice. I’d say 26/38 would be really nice on a 29er.

I prefer single though, even 1×10.

DT78
    Free Member

I’d like to go single, but i don’t think I have the legs. This bike is used at races but also if I do a 7 hour epic in wales / races like torq 12 so I think I need the bail out gears to keep me going. Impressed if anyone can keep turning over 1×10 all day long on big hills.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Only ever raced on 1×10.If you’re having to use the 24 at the end I’d suggest you’re going off too hard at the start.
    Most of the weight savings come from dropping the shifter and mech.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Double is fine, (I’m not a serious racer) just gone 1×10 with 32-42 would be a pain on anything with long fire Road sections. On the double I had low enough and the top out on the 39 was enough for the pedalling blasty stuff.

njee20
    Free Member

Impressed if anyone can keep turning over 1×10 all day long on big hills.

Plenty do, but as they’re not you it doesn’t really matter!

Rorschach
    Free Member

Did’nt see the 12 hour thing 😳
    I’ve only ever done endurance stuff ss over the years.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Spend some time playing with a gear calculator and it can answer your questions much better than asking others who have a completely different style of riding. I just spent two minutes plugging in the info you gave above and the result is that by going from triple to double you will lose your lowest gear, and half your highest gear. Could you live with that? Whether you will have more front shifting by going double all depends whether you currently do most of your riding in your middle ring. It’s likely you will, but that’s the cost of going double.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘triple to double for xc racing – anyone regret it?’ is closed to new replies.