• This topic has 64 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nre.
Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)
  • Triple ring to single
  • nickjb
    Free Member

If riding something techy, cant you kust keep it in the middle ring and pretend its a single ring set up?

of course, but it wouldn’t be as good as proper 1x in terms of range (which seems to be the main argument levelled against 1x) or clearance. There’s no universal perfect solution, just depends what you are willing to compromise on. I’m happy to lose a couple gears off the top end for all the other benefits of 1x. Ymmv.

AlexSimon

The OP asked if it was worth changing from a triple to a double.

No he didn’t – he asked if he’d need new cranks!

RustySpanner

andy9678 – Member
    So is there a benifit to a single or should I stick with the triple

nickc

Are we not allowed to point out that new things don’t always benefit everybody?

Of course, but instead of making up a whole bunch of fake “reasons” and trying to justify it by pretending that you’re cynical, why don’t you just be honest? So instead of all that self justifying nonsense all you really needed to say was

“yeah you can use the same chainset OP, I’ve not tried it though myself, good luck”

DezB
    Free Member

I see the benefits are coming thick and fast. Mine were still the best and I’ve got one triple and one double. 🙂

Goldigger
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner – Member
    £60.00 for a wide range XT 11 speed from CRC, isn’t it?
    Which is what I’d need to maintain a reasonable low end.
    About double what I usually pay.
    100% price difference.

Not if you get a SLX M7000 11-42 cassette
    £45

DezB
    Free Member

ooh, hang on, I’ve thought of another one, that might be true… Singlespeed bikes feel good cos you don’t have to think about gears. So if you don’t have to think about your front gears, does that feel sort of half better than having 2 lots?

nickjb
    Free Member

Mine were still the best

When you wrote them they were the only reasons, which they aren’t. Now they are the best reasons, which they aren’t. At least you are slowly moving in the right direction 😀

ooh, hang on, I’ve thought of another one, that might be true… Singlespeed bikes feel good cos you don’t have to think about gears. So if you don’t have to think about your front gears, does that feel sort of half better than having 2 lots?

That’s actually a lot closer. One button for up, one for down. No thinking about big/big or small/small. Yes managing two changers is hardly brain surgery but not having to think about it at all is one of the benefits.

RustySpanner

nickc – Member
    Are we not allowed to point out that new things don’t always benefit everybody?
    Of course, but instead of making up a whole bunch of fake “reasons” and trying to justify it by pretending that you’re cynical, why don’t you just be honest? So instead of all that self justifying nonsense all you really needed to say was

“yeah you can use the same chainset OP, I’ve not tried it though myself, good luck”

I have tried it.
    I am being honest.
    I’ve not made anything up.
    You would not believe how cynical I am.

You really do sound just a teensy bit defensive, you know?
    😀

I’m driving to Wales shortly, so I’ll have to go and pack.
    Happy to continue later.

I’m taking the road bike this time.
    It’s got a triple on it too.
    And 26 inch wheels.
    🙂

Goldigger
    Free Member

That’s so betamax 😀

DezB
    Free Member

That’s actually a lot closer.

Cool. @OP – go for it mate 🙂

nickc

not nearly as defensive as “I’m not fit enough, but here’s a bunch of other reasons…”

have fun in Wales

andy9678
    Free Member

This is 1 hell of a thread lots of Positive and negative thoughts

RustySpanner

Enjoy it, whatever you decide.
    😀

nickc – Member
    not nearly as defensive as “I’m not fit enough, but here’s a bunch of other reasons…”

Nick, thanks for the response.
    Honestly, I have absolutely no idea what you’re on about, but you have a good day too.
    🙂

andy9678
    Free Member

andy9678
    Free Member

thepurist

Andy9678 you’ve gone for a triple post, going for a single is the future y’know.

andyl
    Free Member

Not if you get a SLX M7000 11-42 cassette
    £45

waiting to see what the spider is like on SLX (aluminium freehub) and if they bring out an 11-46.

Cheapest I have seen the sunrace 11-46 is £70 for silver and £75 for black. XT M8000 is RRP of £85 i think but CRC listing them at £76.

nickjb
    Free Member

Cheapest I have seen the sunrace 11-46 is £70

10 speed 11-42 is under £40 now. I’m sure 11 speed will drop in price

DezB
    Free Member

I’m not negative at all. Apart from I’m not prepared to spend out changing something that doesn’t really need changing.
    Last I said I didn’t need something was 29ers 😆

andyl
    Free Member

10 speed 11-42 is under £40 now. I’m sure 11 speed will drop in price

All steel 11-42 10 speed has been £38 for a while. (Triton cycles). I picked up an 11 speed 11-42 black aluminium for £52 last month and I think I have seen an all steel 11 speed 11-46 for about £57 but from abroad. Hoping the XT 11-46 will drop quickly as I am used to paying £30 for an XT 9 or 10 speed cassette. I did consider the Hope cassette and freehub (£200) for my nice bike with Hope hubs.

andy9678
    Free Member

So say if I was to go 1×10 or 1×11 what size cage mech will I need

thepurist

Medium cage is fine for a single iirc.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I’m happy to lose a couple gears off the top end for all the other benefits of 1x. Ymmv

BAiscally this

you loose stuff but it depends

For example my big mountainbike has a 30 front and a 42 at the rear
    Gives a really low gearing for spinning but then a massive step to 2nd so limited.It laos spins out a fair amount on the flat and very quickly downhill
    It’s limited but fine in the big mountains

Nothing wrong with doubles or triples IMHO

nre
    Free Member

Just to throw my thoughts in…

I rode triples for about 25 years, then had a few years riding a double. I found the double actually meant more front gear changes as the most commonly used gears spanned the 2 rings…

I’ve now been running 1×11 for 6months, and the elimination of clunky front changes is great, and the slightly larger jumps between gears are less annoying than I thought they would be.

It’s much easier to get the chainring cleaned up after a gloopy ride, no chain drops, no chain rub, more ground clearance which makes more stuff rideable… I’m a convert and won’t be going back…

Viewing 25 posts - 41 through 65 (of 65 total)

The topic ‘Triple ring to single’ is closed to new replies.