Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Triple clamp Boxxers on a Specialized Pitch – im gonna get flamed
  • steven904
    Free Member

So I have gone and broken one of ‘the’ bike laws and put 170mm triple clamp Boxxers onto a 2009 Specilized Pitch [which is designed for 140-150mm forks], took it to Chicksands today, felt quite good and very different compared to the 150mm 2010 Fox Floats there were on it (which in turn felt better than the coil PIKES that were original fit).

Ive set the Boxxers up with lots of sag so the static length is not muhc more than the Fox floats, bike needs a bit of set up (front brake was dragging) and better weather before I can fully asses [the mistake] I have done,

but till then feel free to tell me the big problems with this set up (apart form the void warentee issue (no problem as im out of warrantee) and the extra lever arm of the longer forks givin the head tube welds a tough time (fair point)) but what geometry problems might I find, I did think the front end wanted to tuck under a bit more than the floats but this might have been due to the dragging brake.

I did buy the Boxxers to put onto my new (to me) DMR Exalt frame [that is designed for 150-170mm forks], but I got bored in the shed during the build and ended up putting the floats onto the Specialized instead. I also took the Exalt with me to chicksands, felt really good, just got to fit the chain device (ran out of time) and service the Float fork so I can ride with more confidence.

And I hope the lad who broke his wrist at Chicksands today makes a good recovery, never seen a break that bad before! Makes you think a bit….

renton
    Free Member

pics ?

steven904
    Free Member

Will post some tomorrow

Duffer
    Free Member

Well Spesh fitted the Enduro (higher quality frame, same geometry) with a proprietary triple clamp fork, so i wouldn’t worry about the head tube breaking off. I’ve seen pictures of Pitches with 180mm forks before now, so i’d imagine you’re safe enough:

Personally, i’ve never felt the need to change the 140mm Pikes on mine.

patriotpro
    Free Member

The Pikes NEVER felt right to me, it may have been because I was too heavy for the stock spring or because they were 10mm short of matching the rear travel. The 150mm Sektors gave my Pitch a tailored-glove like feel once fitted and never looked back after.

cookeaa

It doesn’t sound like the most controversial bike to fit boxxers to.

I’ve owned an HT with them fitted before…

Northwind

It’s been done a few times in the past. Though I am thinking, 170mm boxxers probably fairly old?

As long as it’s giving a decent steering lock I don’t see much flammable material here. Wouldn’t be my choice to be fair.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Well, as others have said, the 07-09 Enduro had triple clamps on it – albeit at 150mm. I imagine that Boxxers feel quite heavy, but if it works for you…

…and lots of people fit 160mm single crown forks to their Pitches too.

larrythelathe
    Free Member

Steve off to swinley on Monday if you are around

steven904
    Free Member

Cool, might see you there

steven904
    Free Member

Cool, might see you there

grum
    Free Member

Pitch is warrantied for up to 160mm forks (at least mine was, think they might have changed it later). 170mm isn’t that much of a stretch.

And yeah mine feels miles better with 36 vans than it did with the Pikes.

Pics please!

tomhoward

I’ve seen boxxers on a specialized….

…rockhopper hardtail. Looked, erm, 😯

As above, aside from maybe aesthetics, there shouldn’t be any issues.

st

That blue Pitch was my build, I had it set up for downhill only and it was ace fun. Pretty crap for general riding though.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Had 160 36 van on my original pitch and was so much better than the pikes it came with
    170 is only a little bit more if you like the way it rides who cares

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I bought that blue pitch off st. I ran it with u turn lyrics and it was great for all day riding – climbed ok and descended incredibly well at full extension.

180mm triple clamps is madness in my opinion.

The pitch is now being ridden around the Scottish Borders with 140mm pikes on it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

[which is designed for 140-150mm forks

Incorrect. 140-160mm actually, although they were only ever supplied with 140 or 150mm forks. 🙂
    140 is too short for them to be honest, that was just the only fork that fitted at the price when they were first released, and as soon as the 150mm Sektor came along, the Pike was dropped like a stone.
    To be fair, the most common fork switch is to 160mm Lyriks or Vanillas, and that’s spot on.
    And also it’s not just travel itself that matters, it’s the axle to crown length that’s more important. 🙂

jonundercover
    Free Member

Love the Pitch I bought a Stumpy Evo when they stopped making them. Personally 150mm is perfect for what I do, trails centers and natural trails around South/North Wales. I am considering putting 34’s on it though.

Northwind

If I’ve got my boxxers right, the actual uncompressed length of those will be about the same as a 160mm lyrik anyway. Depending on crown obviously.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Triple clamp Boxxers on a Specialized Pitch – im gonna get flamed’ is closed to new replies.