Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Tripadvisor – How reliable?
  • CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Have used the Good Pub Guide as a bible for beer as long as I can remember and have never (touch wood!) had a bad pub from it.

Now, I fancy a spot of late summer sun for a few days and have been looking around. Question is, how reliable is Tripadvisor for opinions? Anyone got any experience? Is it as good as the Guide? (I doubt it, but would like to know if it's a good starting place!

dr_death
    Free Member

It's not bad…. I tend to ignore the top and bottom half dozen and see what the people in the middle say

alwyn
    Free Member

Used it for a holiday to Turkey, they gave great advise and we ended up having a brilliant time. I would use it again.

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Just got back from Berlin and stayed at the circus hotel number 1 on trip advisor (was 4th when we booked) and must say its the best hotel i or my family have ever stayed in, excellent service, fantastic food and wonderful rooms. Couldnt fault it.

peakmonster
    Free Member

As above you get the odd bum review from some folk who would never be pleased no matter what hotel they booked into. But I have found it pretty reliable and accurate

geoffj

It's like any of these sites, mor bad reviews than good, because if you have a good experience, you are less likely to report it.
    If you want to try it with some of your local knowledge, try the Cricket Field Hotel, Salisbury. The only time I've been moved to write a review!

LINKY

😆

scuttler

I think it's brilliant. I also find the scores on booking.com very reliable and the prices are great so it's a good one stop shop for booking somewhere.

If you're getting fussy I find it's useful to list the negative reviews first to see what's upset people. You can of course ignore the whining septics who complain that a nine foot wide bed and three bathrooms weren't up to scratch.

forge197
    Free Member

Tried a restaurant that was tops on Tripadvisor in Valencia when we went there it was every bit as good as the excellent reviews if not better, stunning food.

Though I have staying in some places that get slated and there fine.

You have to read it in the context that most a more likely to write a review if it was bad than good, if someone is compelled to write a positive it may actually be very good, the candid photo's are cool though especially when compared to some hotels "official" photos!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cricket Field House! Oh my, that brings back some very happy memories of lazy summer afternoons in Wilton…
    Used to drive past on the way to my fun! 😈

Great answers folks, pretty much sums up what I had expected.

tegski
    Free Member

Used for a trip to NYC and Washington DC and all review summaries were spot on – as has been said, can ignore some of the reviews as some people will whine whatever, but overall the candid photos are very useful. Also like the opinions of what to do…check your local area and see if you agree! Will give you confidence about the area that you intend to visit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Tripadvisor – How reliable?’ is closed to new replies.