Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Trimming hydraulic hose without draining/rebleeding
  • PJay
    Free Member

When I got my first set of hydraulic disc brakes a couple of years back I’d heard that it was possible to trim the hose and refit it and, if you were lucky, you wouldn’t get air in the system. So that’s what I did, and it worked.

As I’ve learnt a bit more about the Shimano setup and done some bleeding and fitted new calipers I’ve realised that the port is open when the lever is in the not depressed position (when bleeding, with the bleed nipple open fluid will sometimes flow out from the resevoir without touching the lever. So when I removed the shroud nut from the lever and pulled the hose out was I just lucky not to lose my fluid?

I’ve got a new set of Shimano brakes to fit to a small frame, so the rear hose at least is likely to need a trim. I’m perfectly capable of draining and rebleeding the sytstem, it’s just that I’d rather not have to if I can get away with it. Can I remove the hose from the lever of a primed system, trim it, replace the olive/insert and refit or should I be draining it first. I probably haven’t quite got my head fully around how hydraulic systems work.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yes, it’s very easy to do.

Leave wheels in place
    Remove brake pads
    Pump out the pistons until they virtually touch the rotors
    Undo hoses from lever end and trim
    Open master cylinder
    Reconnect hoses with new olive and insert
    Carefully lever the pistons back into the calipers (make sure they stay straight)
    Top up with fluid
    Refit master cylinder cap
    Ride your bike!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Noo!!!

..you forgot to refit the pads :OP

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Yeah that’s right. You won’t wear them out then 🙂

Oh, OK.

Next to last step:
    “Refit pads”

😀

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Trimming hydraulic hose without draining/rebleeding’ is closed to new replies.