Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Trigger's Broom Bikes
  • clubber
    Free Member

Inspired by the thread about bikes you’ll never sell, how about a thread about your Trigger’s Broom bikes – eg same frame but that you’ve changed the components and maybe what you use it for over the years.

I’ll start with my ’95 Kilauea. I bought it as a frame when I found that my new RS Mag10s which a whopping 46mm of travel were too long for my ’91 Pine Mountain.

It’s been everything from XC racer to play bike to commuter to tourer to ‘road’ bike to kid carrying bike. It’s done all sorts of events, been broken, repainted twice and is still going strong now.

Big air in 1995 (Gnar deflation renders this lame 😉 )

Posing in 1996

1998 (now dark blue and with Hope mechanical disc on the back)

2005ish as a singlespeed (repainted again and rewelded dropout) – This was its resurrection after being replaced by a full susser but moving back to Bristol meant that a bike for winter riding in the mud was a good excuse to build it up as a SS>

20009ish rebuilt as a hardtail

2012 commuter

patriotpro
    Free Member

That’s aged really well. Loved the old Konas.

wwaswas

My triggers broom bikes have a continuous history but share no parts (including frame) with the bike they started off as.

My Maverick ML7/5 with 150mm Bombers started out as a Giant NRS with SIDS.

Sam

My second proper mtb (an Avanti Aggressor purchased in 1994) by the time it departed my ownership in 2000 the only remaining original part was the headset – an original dia compe aheadset.

Sam

Double post

stevestunts
    Free Member

1993 Explosif. Frame and front mech are the only original parts. Until I rebuilt it after a respray last year, it still had the original cranks, BB and rear mech too, all working absolutely fine.

2005 Scott Genius. Frame, front mech and seatpost are the only original parts.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

The rockhopper that got me re-started in this game in about 2007 is now 100% trigger’s broom.
    As of early this year, every single component had been upgraded/replaced at some point or other in the intervening period.

Then I broke the frame 🙁
    Thank the lord for Specialized warranty dept 🙂

aracer
    Free Member

To be a proper Trigger’s broom the frame also needs to have been replaced (arguably for full qualification every single part of the original must be replaced). My Dyna-Tech hardtail (metal matrix frame as raced by David Baker et al in the early 90s – was originally Dyna-Tech ti frame) has the original cranks, everything else changed.

clubber
    Free Member

Yes, I know but I figured that the frame staying the same was close enough.

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

2006 kona caldera only frame,wheels and rear mech the same everything else replaced and it’s been a singlespeed for part of it’s life so far 🙂

mrmo
    Free Member

does this count, the front mech is original, everything else has been changed, the frame got swapped under warranty when i snapped it.

wwaswas

*looks at fence*

*looks again*

*assumes it’s been photoshopped*

bristolbiker
    Free Member

My commuter is on its second frame (no name alu thing, swapped for a s/h Ti job), third groupset and all contacts points are on a rolling replacement program. The winter wheels still use the same rims, but have been through 3 sets of hubs, though these are looking a bit tired now as well….

honourablegeorge

wwaswas – Member
    My triggers broom bikes have a continuous history but share no parts (including frame) with the bike they started off as.

Same here. My Nicolai Ion 16 started life as a Kona Hoss hardtail, and has been a Blur 4x and a Lapierre Spicy in between, and has split off to form a Cotic Soul and an Intense Tazer too.

mrmo
    Free Member

*looks at fence*

*looks again*

*assumes it’s been photoshopped*

Just bought the house, it is a “project”….

that is the good fence….

miketually
    Free Member

The only thing original on my Inbred is the fork, as that had been taken off and replaced before the original bike was stolen. The original fork went onto the frame and parts I bought with the insurance payout.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

My 1996 Stumpjumper FS in Candy Red. Had a couple of different forks on,(still have the original Mag 21’s in the garage). Done service as geared hardtail, geared Rigid,Singlespeed hardtail, geared commute & now single speed rigid commuter. Was my 40th birthday present to myself & still rides well. Can’t see myself getting rid until it breaks really.

ndthornton
    Free Member

My Cotic Soda shares only the gold hope seatclamp and headset from the original bike which was an Orange P7. The bike itself was bought second hand and Im not convinced the gold bling was original either. Everything changed incrementally due to wear, breakage or upgrade.

bigyinn
    Free Member

My Spesh Enduro Pro 2004 started off as an Enduro Expert 2003.
    Nothing original remains, except the seatpost clamp which reappears in the winter months only to bolt the mudguard to.

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

My ’07 Rockhopper Comp has evolved to a ’03 Santa Cruz Superlight over the years… Not 100% trigger’ed yet as I’m still using the same juicy 5s.

burnie
    Free Member

My SC Chameleon started life as an old Diamondback (cant remember the model) that I was given many years ago. Only the front spokes remain and the wheel is overdue a rebuild so they will be gone before the end of the year.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

My Fleet, (Mk 1) Originally built for Dentons Cycles, Newcastle & branded as such. Built by a bloke called Kevin Winter in 1990 when he worked for a small company called Fleet Engineers near Durham….

Picture 174 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

& todays Mk 8 version…

004 by jimmyg352, on Flickr

The only original bits on the frame alone are the right side seat & chainstay, & further to the other thread, It’s the one bike I’ll never ever get shot of.

EDIT. & further to another thread, It’s fillet brazed.

FOG

My wife’s bike is like that. She goes on about having had the same bike for years and she can’ t understand why I have to have so many bikes, totally ignoring the fact I have changed everything on hers at least three times!

flap_jack
    Free Member

My 95 M-Trax has the rear hub and crud catchers remaining.

My 2001 GF Paragon. Changed it to disks, replaced everything except the seat clamp, stem, forks and frame. Then replaced the frame and seat clamp, forks and stem.

Turned it into a 2007 reissue Clockwork which now has almost completely changed all components at least once.

Simon

My Mmmbop started life as a Marin Rocky Ridge in ’06.
    Along the way it’s been a Teocali, a Dialled PA and a 456. Bits have been carried over from each build but no original parts from the Marin remain on the Ragley.

I_Ache
    Free Member

My 09 Pitch evolved into a 456 then into a 06 Enduro it is now a 11 Enduro Evo and a mk2 BFe. There are also quite a few parts on my brothers 456.

falkirk-mark

my specialized fsr xc 2006, has only the cranks and gearshfters that are original, upgraded forks then brakes and wheels, changed the front mech (rear could be original)seatpost and saddle changed the stem and handlebars, then had the frame and shock replaced under warranty and since then changed the forks again and handlebars and stem.

Bez

1993 Kilauea. Had it from new; one of the first batch of 93 Konas to come in, I think. The only thing that’s original is the frame, but even that isn’t quite original: the top tube was replaced a few months after I bought it, because I stoved the original in; and it’s been through four paint jobs in its time. It’s done pretty much everything. Now it’s my commuter/town bike.

clubber
    Free Member

My Kilauea’s been turned back into a hardtail and I rode it in today. Bit sketchy in the wet with a semi slick on the back tho…

adam1330
    Free Member

Got my 5 in 2006, still have it, although the only original bits are the cranks and brake calipers.

LoCo
    Free Member

My wife’s bike is one of the steel rockhoppers which has had everything changed on it over the years, due replacement wheels and brake next year from my hardtail, does need crests or xtr but it’s getting them nonetheless as I’ll be upgrading 😀

Bregante

Still got (the shifters of) my 07 Enduro SL. Love it.

Here it is

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Trigger's Broom Bikes’ is closed to new replies.