Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Tried to do the Grassington 100k today – failed to finish. But tell me…
  • igm

… were the second and third climbs (the over and back over pair) typical of Merida / Chain Reaction marathon event?

I was slow but feeling reasonably confident of a finish until I hit those.

Nezbo
    Free Member

not quite that tough, but still chalinging 🙂

them 2 was very tough. You should have stuck with it mate, the last 15 or 20 mi was quite easy 🙂 (in a chalinging way)

Tracker1972
    Free Member

Only done Ruthin and Dyfi Enduro but that bloody push up then push back down some one isn't typical of either of those events. Nor is the mental headwind in places (although that could be I guess 🙂 )

_tom_
    Free Member

I'm doing the Ruthin 50k in September. Am yet to start any proper training and I've never done a 50k ride. How bad are the climbs on that?

igm

Hmmm. Was just looking to finish in 7-8 hours and was well on course for that after Mastiles and Arncliffe – especially considering I was near the back out of the gate.

The marshalls "suggested" I went home after the second of those big climbs. Given that they are there to keep people safe I thought it best to listen.

Would I have finished if I had gone on? Probably. I had food and water. I had another jacket. So warmth and energy would have been OK, but it would have been a 10 hour finish I think – 8pm.

imnotamused
    Free Member

I've done 100k at ruthin, Penrith and selkirk – I decided on the 75k yesterday at grassington as I'm not as fit as I have been and more importantly I know those climbs. Normally there's just one extra big climb on the 100k. Fair play for giving it a go in that wind.

Don't let it put you off.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Tried to do the Grassington 100k today – failed to finish. But tell me…’ is closed to new replies.