Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Tried a new Cider tonight
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Tried this stuff this evening on draught at The Swan in Swineford, between Bristol and Bath – a Bath Ales pub (with a smashing beer garden):

Even if any cider would have tasted nice after around 30 miles (only on the road though 😳 ) on a warm evening, this stuff was refreshingly different. Seemed crisper and a little drier than the generic bottled pub stuff (Magners, Bulmers etc.). Certainly hit the spot. Not sure you’ll see it outside the west country but wherever you do, give it a try.

sharki
    Free Member

an’t see the pic…what’s it’s name..?

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

It’s called Bounders

[/url]

It’s a few posts down on their blog.

I don’t work for these guys…but it’s a fine brewery.

Muke
    Free Member

Mmmmm Cider

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

aspal seems to do the trick for me at the moment and its cheaper than all the “chav” brands i.e. magners, bulmers, gaymers

Pigface
    Free Member

Westons Perry the only thing I miss since going teetotal.

Singlespeedpunk
    Free Member

I’ll try that one if I see it anywhere here. Round Cheltenham area Thatchers and Stowford Press are the favorites, stowford on a hot day after a ride is lovely!

SSP

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

Green Goblin is worth a try if you see it about too, mmmmmm! May have to get some in for the house move in a couple of weeks time!!!!

funkynick

Had an amazing cider a while ago called Greensleaves and it was actually green, tasted of quite flowerly Granny Smiths… was lovely.. but also very dangerous being about 7% and emminently quaffable.

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Can’t wait for some Brother’s Pear from the cider bus in… three weeks today!

xherbivorex
    Free Member

if i was to ever start boozing again, i’d drink cider pretty much exclusively i think.

franki
    Free Member

Henney’s Frome Valley cider is my favourite at the moment. 😀

MrAgreeable

It’s not just the cider, the Swan is a top pub in general. We went there after doing the Cotswold Corker audax earlier this year. They didn’t bat an eyelid at our dishevelled state, nor the fact that we’d swanned in at about 9pm on Valentine’s Day. 😳 They found us a table and I had a steak and kidney pudding as big as my head. 🙂

snaps
    Free Member

I’m partial to a can of THIS since my local Tesco stopped stocking THIS very pleasent post ride.

grumm
    Free Member

Maguire’s Pear Cider with Raspberry is really nice – bit like an alcopop but very drinkable.

whytetrash

Loads of nice stuff around now…thanks Magners for making it acceptable to drink cider…used to feel like a yokel asking for it in some places!

Thatchers single variety stuff is great but Westons organic is my tipple of choice at present….saying that a generic Bulmers was nice last night post ride watching the sun go down over the Dee estuary…actually was a dusty ride in places…proper clouds of the stuff obscuring one descent! Its North Wales though so will probably rain this weekend!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

4 for a 5ver at morrisons at the moment, nice ones not your cheap tat.

westons vintage reserve for me, 8.2%

Keva
    Free Member

Seemed crisper and a little drier than the generic bottled pub stuff (Magners, Bulmers etc.).

well that stuff is not really cider is it.. ?

Thatchers & Stowford press are the best ones available round our way at the moment, from the shops anything by Westons and Sheppys is good, will defo look out for the Bounders – shame about the low alcohol content but I suppose it means more drinks 🙂

Kev

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

asda are doing 4 for £3 on certain unusual ciders inc perrys and summer fruits etc

40mpg

My brother went camping near Cheddar last week and the local asda was selling Thatchers Gold in 2 litre bottles for £2.50. He brought lots back and I helped him drink it Saturday night.

Then on Sunday went riding in the Purbecks, stopped for lunch at the Square and Compass at something-Matravers (they are all called something-Matravers round there) and they had a cart in the garden with a local whispy-bearded hippy guy selling home made cider – 4 varieties. We made good use of the free samples then polished off some of the Dry which was very good. Unfortunatlely it dissolved all the muscle fibres in my legs and the afternoon riding was quite a struggle.

Fuzzyfelt
    Free Member

Well recommended Mr. Darcy – just had a couple of pints in the Hop Pole, Bath.
    Could have stayed there all afternoon – but thought I’d best get back to the office to do nothing instead.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I get some nice vintage stuff from B&M tis only £1.25 for a litre.

Don’t even know what it’s called but it is amazing for the money!

trailmonkey

Gentlemen, I give you Mecca. Just 3 miles from my house, the world famous Newton Abbot Soiler Bar :-

Last time I was there, the specialities were Black Rat and Wiltshire SuiCider.

grumm
    Free Member

That place looks terrifying.

trailmonkey

Terrifying would be a good place to start the description, yes.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well recommended Mr. Darcy – just had a couple of pints in the Hop Pole, Bath.

No worries Fuzzy…another fine pub. Is that a Bath Ales pub too? All their pubs are really nice, and the best thing is you get a complete selection of their beers…and not just the choice of Gem or Spa…hmmmm, Spa…hmmm….

MrNutt
    Free Member

Henney’s Frome Valley VINTAGE STILL cider!! is the mints sack!

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Ooh Cider. The local stuff here, Rocquettes, is lurverly, and the brewery will swap cider for the apples in my garden in October.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Tried a new Cider tonight’ is closed to new replies.