Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)
  • Trident – what's your opinion?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Is our Trident submarine system actually "independent"?

Isn't it American?

What cities are the warheads targeted at nowadays and are they the right targets?

Wouldn't a tactical-nuke aircraft-based system be more flexible in this post Cold War situation?

Or are we being silly and should just accept we don't need a big bomb anymore?

[you can probably detect that I have Liberal leanings, but I'm genuinely interested in the views of our fine, educated readership]

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pointless waste of money.

GJP
    Free Member

I rarely agree with TJ but on this one he has my support 😆

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    druidh
    Free Member

TJ + GJP +1

bassspine
    Free Member

TJ + GJP +D +1

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Is our Trident submarine system actually "independent"?

Isn't it American?

Depending on which sources you beleive, it isn't 100% independent from the US. They still make (single source) part of the weapons system (apparently).
    The missiles are swapped about anyway – a missile fitted to a US sub are taken out and then can (and are) fitted into UK subs in the future.
    Would the UK ever use (or threaten to use) the detternt independentaly? I dont think so, IMO.

Wouldn't a tactical-nuke aircraft-based system be more flexible in this post Cold War situation?

The USP of the Trident system is it can strike from anywhere without being deteceted. Its fundemental to the detterrent, but also makes it darn expensive.

Personnally I think "the west" (or whatever you want to call it) does still need a nuclear detterrent (can you hand on heart say what Iran or N.Korea will be upto in 30 yrs time). But Im not convinced the UK still has the standing on a global stage to still require it.

Having said that, the trident replacement keeps me in a job. so I shouldn't speak up to loudly 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My housmate works at AWE and that's his only reason for wanting it.

clubber
    Free Member

Suspect it's not necessary though I'd like to hear more about the alternatives (lib dems weren't advocating complete nuclear disarmament, just getting rid of trident)

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

any nuclear weapon entails indiscriminate injury to civilians and therefore its use is a war crime. If cannot be legally used there is no point having it.

flatfish
    Free Member

aircraft need a base which would be the first target to be hit in the event of a nuclear strike on us, whereas a sub with trident can be anywhere in the many oceans around the world and only the sub commander knows where exactly it is so all our potential enemies are in the dark until after they've pressed their button.
    i'm not for using it as a pre-emptive strike or anything like that, but more as the deterent that we use it for nowadays.
    i don't think were silly at all with the likes of iran and north korea playing silly buggers at the moment.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

i work in defence, and all the smaller projects are getting cut in favour of this thing. Would be good for me if it got cancelled.

Flaperon

Bin it.

muddydwarf
    Free Member

The thing about submarine-launched tactical nuclear weapons is that they are undetectable – right up until the first missile breaks the surface.

Then it's a race to get off the rest of the weapons before an ASROC or SUBROC weapon vapourises the 5 square miles of ocean they are sitting in.
    The weapons need a particular set of criteria to successfully launch and time is ticking away.
    The blokes on the subs know that they are effectively dead* as soon as they launch the first bird.

*Assuming they are attacking a Nation with an effective nuclear capability of course.

alwyn
    Free Member

Agree with TJ

nickc

It's not really a weapon in the traditional sense of the word. It's the (small, given the influence the thing gives us) price you pay for a seat at a very exclusive club.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Suspect it's not necessary though I'd like to hear more about the alternatives

Im of the opionion, if you're going to do something, do it properly. A Submarine based missile system is *the* most effective detterent. Nothing else can compare, for the aforementioned reasons.

any nuclear weapon entails indiscriminate injury to civilians and therefore its use is a war crime. If cannot be legally used there is no point having it

Much as I aggree with your statement, the war in Iraq was illegal, but it didn't stop it happening. Bad things happen in war/conflict

mboy
    Free Member

You think that's not already being investigated? Think again!

Check this out

Project Falcon is a US funded project, but you can bet your bottom dollar we would be or indeed will be helping fund it if it's viable!

Having a Nuke on a Sub is all well and good in terms of indetctibility, but to have a Nuke on a remotely controlled aircraft capable of "delivering" its payload anywhere in the world within an hour or so, would kind of render Nukes on subs irrelevant!

Personally, I'd love to see a Nuke free world, but whilst nobody else is about to go ahead with full Nuclear disarmament, sadly to carry a big stick but speak in hushed tones, is a situation I'd rather maintain for the moment… Especially as there are still despots in charge of some countries, with Nuclear capability!

colnagokid

Couldnt we just pretend we've got all this stuff, everyone knows we've got/had it. No body knows what iran etc have/might have?
    Just make out weve got the biggest & latest shit. Tell the world we;ve spent 100 billion £ on new weapons. If we need to use it, it dont really matter anyway, cos the whole world will be f'd, and the country might save a few quid to spend on something usefull

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

But are the Americans in the control loop, or do Cameroon and Clegg really have their fingers over the "fire" button?

To me, this "deterrent" property seems to make sense in the Cold War when the stakes and counter threats were massive. But I'm not sure who's cities should be targeted now or that any nations pose such a direct threat to the UK. What do you think?

I've been wondering about the range also – my understanding is that Trident operates in the Atlantic/Arctic oceans. Are you suggesting that it could strike N.Korea and China?

I had been thinking that a high-altitude aircraft based system, something like a high altitude bomber that could also be shepherded by Eurofighters. Or maybe a weapon that could be launched from Eurofighter, though it limits range if only deployed from UK runways?

Karinofnine

I find all these things (war planes, the old Russian Mayday parades, tanks etc) incredibly stirring for some reason. Maybe it's my Prussian roots. BUT BUT BUT, these are modern times and shield-bashing and sabre-ratting is so old hat.

The old Great Britain used to be very pro Arab, now we're pro Jew. IMO (and I'm not alone) this has contributed greatly to our undoing.

Trident. Nice idea. Let's wander round the plant like the big dumb bully kid at school. Reality a) We can't afford it b) It doesn't work on terrorist-type attacks (because they are martyrs and are going to their heaven anyway c) H E L L O! It will kill ALL OF US WHATEVER COLOUR OR CREED.

nickc

But are the Americans in the control loop, or do Cameroon and Clegg really have their fingers over the "fire" button

Essentially we'd have to have an American "OK" in order to fire it, politically as well as operationally

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

OK so in fact it's not independent at all – I suspected so.

Hotback Desiato's spaceship:

mboy
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear, don't think for one second either that unmanned planes capable of carrying Nukes won't happen.

And they won't be "limited" to Mach 6 either! From those in the know about Scramjet technology, we're talking potential for Mach speeds easily into the double figures (meaning speeds of approaching 10,000mph!) are theoretically possible in decades to come!

Mintman
    Free Member

The ability to drop a "bucket of sunshine" on a state is neither here nor there. The threat that we may or may not have the capability is where it's value lies. It harks back to the original principle of mutually assured destruction and thinking that it is a weapon designed to be used is just not right (in my opinion). As for whether we'd use it without the USA: technically dependent or not, how likely is it that the UK will enter a nuclear war without the military backing of a superpower, whoever that might be (even perhaps the EU oneday)…

I vote keep it, after all it might not be of use today but what about tomorrow (metaphorically speaking)?

jimmers
    Free Member

Wouldn't a nuclear tipped Tomahawk cruise missile launched from a nuclear sub (SSN rather than a SSBN) be a cost effective compromise?

Most international situations come with a little bit of warning so it would be reasonable to assume that a SSN could be maneuvered into a position to deliver to cruise missile with a flight time of under an hour?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Can someone who thinks its a good idea please explain its purpose? who are we deterring with it now?

bananaworld
    Free Member

Buzzlightyear – Member

Reckon I can answer this one. I spent a week last month camping next to a Eurofighter Typoon equipped base and came to the conclusion that the Typhoon has three major roles in the modern warfare theatre:

1) Firstly, it's absolutely the most **** awesome plane to ever leave the ground. I mean, REALLY incredibly, sky-burningly, outrageously-expensively amazing.

2) Secondly, it's a Spitfire deterrant:

3) Thirdly, its raison d'être is to distract Dave Yates into leaving his workshop at critical moments when you're just about to burn your frame in half.

I don't think camping next to a Trident base would be as exciting, soTrident should be scrapped and the mighty NATO net can catch us if we fall.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

"I vote keep it, "

Yeah I understand the caution. Nukes/MAD has contributed to the Cold War "peace" no doubt.

But we need spend a wodge of cash – we probably don't have it given our commitment to save the banking system et al. Is it 7 years? It's not long enough to develop a new system with the required level of assurance IMO.

Northwind

Not really sure why I'm even posting, as TJ says who is it supposed to deter? We have overstretched conventional ground forces and we're pissing away money on a city-killer we'll never use, and which if we were ever to wish to use, we would already be so deeply ****ed we might as well not bother.

Not that I'm particularily in favour of ground deployments either but scratching trident would pay for a lot of helicopters, APCs and body armour. Or, y'know, nurses or teachers or some other such mad lefty concept.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Well I see that too – are the Germans/Spanish/Italians/Swiss/and many others desperately worried that they don't have an independent deterrent?

So why do we worry about it especially?

Northwind

"So why do we worry about it especially?"

The usual line is that it gives us extra world and diplomatic power. Hard to see what we use it for really.

Myself, I hope we use it like in Civilisation. "Greetings from King Cameron of the British people. OUR THREATS ARE BACKED WITH NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"

bananaworld
    Free Member

Nah, they aren't woried, because they know NATO will protect. Good ol' NATO: the yanks with the piles and piles of every nuke you could ever need; the French with their, er, whatever the French have got; and the Brits with their rusty nuking subs hiding under the Arctic.

Nuclear war is dead, Trident is pointless. No nation on Earth would use nuclear weapons whilst the USA is still THE nuke-force to be reckoned with. The only threat from nukes is subversive terrorist bombs in densely-populated places – not something a nuclear deterrant can deter…

EDIT: oh, Northwind, you beauty, that actually brought a nostalgic tear to my eye… What a game, what a game!

Mintman
    Free Member

Remember the Knott review prior to the falklands conflict "we don't need amphibious capability anymore so scrap it". Next thing we're heading south nabbing ships from trade because we don't have the right stuff. Right now it might not appear that we need the nuclear deterrent but what if that changes?

A common point seems to be that today the tools our forces have are inadequate. What if in the future the tool they need is the threat of the nuclear deterrent and we deprive them of that; what then?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Errr. In short – let the Americans sort it out I suppose. After all, we need their permission/codes to fire, so they can fire their own weapons if they like.

I'm losing faith in the MAD argument you see. The Americans run MAD so we shouldn't need to.

Incidentally, what is the French argument for their kit, and what do they actually have?

"distract Dave Yates into leaving his workshop at critical moments when you're just about to burn your frame in half."

LOL a lot!

mikertroid
    Free Member

I'm in favour. The alternative would be to upscale our conventional forces by such a margin, it would be far more expensive.

Better still, keep trident and upscale our armed forces. Sh!tcan freebies for serial spongers and you'd save money. 🙂

Happy Days!! 8)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

So what function does trident have? Can someone explain please as I can't see one

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It's like a hornet in your garden. You don't f* with the nest.

Daffy

Can someone who thinks its a good idea please explain its purpose? who are we deterring with it now?

Trident as it stands is not a weapon system in the conventional sense; it is/was a statement of intent to would-be aggressors.

In the current climate, Trident serves very little purpose, but what happens in 10-30 years when/if the world changes? You can't just rustle these things up when the need arises. This was shown with helicopters in Afghanistan, and helicopters have a much shorter lead time than a Submarine based nuclear deterrent.

If the order is not submitted soon, the new boats won’t be ready for Vanguard and its class being decommissioned.

There are NO alternatives to a submarine based ballistic system.

Air delivered weapons can and will be intercepted.
    Land based systems will never get through planning – it was tried in the 50s.
    Using Astute is ridiculous, the blue water sub would have to enter a brown water environment and would be easy prey + Tomahawks can be easily intercepted.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Daffy – you still havent told me what its purpose is. What is it for – now or in 30 yrs time

Daffy

Its designed purpose is obvious.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 158 total)

The topic ‘Trident – what's your opinion?’ is closed to new replies.