Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Tricross vs Jake vs ?
  • HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Trying to make a decision but failing miserably. I'm looking for a not too pricey (c.£700) all round cross/'free road' (someone kill Specialized's marketing department forthat) bike and it seems to come down to the Jake/Tricross. The Tricross has sorted the brake judder problem with a fork mounted cable hanger which seemed it's only flaw… Given that I can't get a cyclescheme friendly steel framed alternative. Is there a reason not to get the Tricross?

spesh
    Free Member

Considered a Planet-X Uncle John or Kaffenback ? They do cyclescheme as well 🙂

feenster
    Free Member

I got a roadrat complete and added some of stuff to it, all on cyclescheme. You could either get the complete bike and tweak it, or get a custom build based on the frame. Either way, find one of cotics dealers that do cyclescheme and take it from there, you'll be able to do it on cyclescheme.

Total cost of this build was roughly £800, which I then cycleschemed.

geoffj

Is there a reason not to get the Tricross?

They are fugly 😆

Seriously, I like spesh bikes a lot, but the Tricross in that brown is hideous.

[stuck record]How about a Genesis vapour[/stuck record]

the_lecht_rocks

i bought a tricross comp @ 899 in the sales for my c2w.
    proper good bike.
    unfortunately mine came with linear pulls that restricted guard fitment but spec uk sent me free canti's to fit instead.
    i dont think the tricross sport comes with the carbon stays or zertz tho, and these really do comfort out the ride ime.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

Am doing a bit of research myself and have only heard bad things about jakes. The Scott Addict looks the biz.

elliptic
    Free Member

have only heard bad things about jakes

…specifically?

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Jakes are awesome. I trail ride on mine, stick slicks on and pretend it's a road bike (have done a couple of centuries on it),and have loaded it up and cycled the length of Ireland with camping gear.

Mine aint a standard build but its nothing fancy, they are just good do anything bikes. I might even try a cross race on it one day, maybe.

There you go you have heard something good now.

yoda
    Free Member

My major jake was awesome! Just sold it this week. Have done trail centres on it(Grizedale,Gisburn etc) Skiddaw, Coniston and the three peaks a couple of times.It's pretty light and never let me down.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Coleman
    Free Member

Sorry another Giant TCX – just learnt how to post piccies, so any excuse at the moment.

elliptic
    Free Member

Liking those colour schemes. 🙂

How do TCXs size up? I'm 5'6" and normal-shaped, does that make me small or medium?

Coleman
    Free Member

elliptic –

I'm 5' 11" and ride a 51.5cm [medium] with top tube 55.5.
    The small is 49cm with a 53.5 top tube and extra small 46cm with a 52 top tube.

elliptic
    Free Member

Okay – so I'm likely to want a small then.

[…saunters away nonchalantly to check bank balance…]

youngj1
    Free Member

fiveT

What about the Kinesis crosslight FiveT?

But it is a bit above your budget, but I have found it very comfortable….

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Thanks for the words of advice.

I'd written the Giant TCX because I thought it was more race-specific than all-rounders like the Tricross/Jake. I'm happy to hear otherwise.

Cotic/Planet X? I know P-X will post and I didn't even know you could get a Roadrat as a build so that's mixed news. Good news in that the Roadrat and Kaffenback are both up my street, bad news as even *more* indecision enters the mix…

geoffj

Okay – so I'm likely to want a small then.

I would highly recommend slinging your leg over one. The compact geometry of the Giants can fool you if you aren't careful.
    I've got (relatively) short legs and long torso (yes my knuckles do drag on the floor sometimes 🙂 ), but at 5' 10" I assumed a medium would be a good fit. It isn't, I need a large.

Oh and what about a Ragley?

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

Bloody hell, that FiveT is nice. The trouble is that with 3 children, 2 with birthdays looming, Christmas coming and so on my budget is pretty strict!

Coleman
    Free Member

Heathenwoods –
    Yes you are right the Giants are more race oriented with sharp geometry {72 head & 73 seat tube angles], although the TCX 2 does come with mudguard eyelets – same frame but alloy forks.

fauxbyfour
    Free Member

specifically I have heard that jakes have a 'difficult' geometry to race with and can be twitchy, not as a tourer. still rate the scott addict!

JoB
    Free Member

"jakes have a 'difficult' geometry to race with and can be twitchy"

tosh, and pish

karnali
    Free Member

dolan cross bike 650 full tiagra group and devent wheels, contact then direct, google dolan for a contact web address i thinkits italian solutions or something similar. full guard and rack points really enjoying mine. they also do a samller frame than listed on their site. When i was looking there wass nothing near it for spec at that price

elliptic
    Free Member

still rate the scott addict!

I'm sure they're nice bikes, but they cost three or four times what the OP wants to spend 🙄

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

The Dolan looks good but… I've emailed my lbs to see what price they can do a geared dropbar roadrat for. I'm quite tempted by a kaffenback too – lots of ultegra and no marmite fork (which i have to admit i'm not sure about yet, i'll see what my lbs can come up with).

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Not much tyre clearance on a kaffenback if you want to run proper cross tyres

Bianchi-Boy
    Free Member

Why not get a cross bike?

;0)

BB

druidh
    Free Member

Marin Lombard for £750 or a Toscana for £999. You even get proper brakes.

trail_rat
    Free Member

the tcx is harsh as **** out back

ive done 4000km on a jake with panniers and raced off road on it …. awesome bike and far exceeds in the ride quality side of things compared my current specialized tricross….

jake was just a nicer bike to ride !

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

trail_rat, thank you for the direct comparison!

I like the look of the Marin bikes but the Lombard's the one in my price range and I think the sacrifice I make for the brakes are 2300 throughout and no-name hubs, headset etc.

We'll see what my lbs can do with a roadrat build but I'm starting to edge towards the Jake. I've missed having a Kona since I sold my Kaboom so for old times' sake…

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Tricross vs Jake vs ?’ is closed to new replies.