Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Triathlon-track-world: first timer.
  • michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hey all,

So I’ve decided to enter a triathlon for this weekend. It will be my first one, I’m a pretty strong biker and an OK runner (done a marathon before), at this stage I’m still not sure whether to do the sprint or olympic though. The swim is my main concern. I can swim about 1200 meters in a pool in a regular 30 minute session, with the occasional 1500 swim. How much harder is the swim in the sea versus pool? I have swam in the sea before but not a fan of doing it regularly. Does the wetsuit provide much buoyancy?

Any stories about other peoples first attempt would be appreciated also!!

Ta!

Onzadog
    Free Member

I’ve only done one open water swim but I much prefer it. The wetsuit makes it a doddle. Do the oly.

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I prefer open water swimming. Sea swim tri’s are normally in calmer sheltered water, and wetsuits make you swim like a god 🙂

Sounds like you’ll be ok over either distance, so go for the oly, but start easy on the swim and build up.

How’s your sighting in open water?

michaelmcc
    Free Member

and wetsuits make you swim like a god

Nice!! Guessing I need to put something like vaseline around my neck though??

How’s your sighting in open water?

Not sure tbh!!! I imagine its ok, I have spent a fair amount of time in the sea doing other water sports.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Bump!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

On average a wettie will improve our swim time by roughy 10% and for the average swimmer it will make the whole experience much easier and more enjoyable (possible chaffing aside). Against that you have real challenges with a sea swim – currents, waves, challenging sighting, sharks etc.

On balance they probably just about net each out – easy but may be not quicker!!!!

Enjoy it!!

P.s Vaseline neck, arms, legs to avoid chaffing and getting wetsuit off.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

@OP, search under my forum activity. I had a “first triathlon” thread last week with lots of tips and advice, especially from my bezzie thm. 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Nice thread deadly!!!

Did you establish what you are going to wear under your wetsuit, if anything? Not sure if I should wear full on bike bib shorts or something a bit lighter.

SamB
    Free Member

I’d say start with a Sprint and see if you enjoy it – no point buying a wetsuit for a single Oly distance…

I started doing Sprints two years ago, done one Olympic (which was good fun) and have an Ironman coming up in 5 weeks 🙂

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Hey cheers Sam, I actually have a full tri wetsuit already, got it from a surf shop I worked in a few years ago who practically gave it to me.
    What to wear under it is kinda doing my head in.

I entered the oly but miiiight switch to the sprint.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

michaelmcc, I’m going to go for a trisuit I think (almost sure). I wouldn’t advise trying to run in full-on bib shorts. There’s just way too much padding. So trisuit with shed loads of chamois creme on the padding it is for me.

SamB
    Free Member

Ah – fair dos! In terms of what to wear under it… for an Oly, I’d go for a two-piece tri suit so you can stop for a toilet break if necessary. If your bladder is strong, go for a one-piece and hope you don’t need to pee during the run or bike.

The problem with an Oly (and indeed a sprint) is that you won’t be able to get changed – there’s usually a “no public toplessness / nudity” rule in place, and organisers often won’t bother with a tent, so you’re stuck wearing one set of kit through the whole thing.

If you don’t have tri kit and don’t want to spend, then I’d suggest lycra running shorts and probably a cycling jersey. Road bike is only 40k so just over an hour, shouldn’t be too much chafage going on, and the jersey will be useful with pockets and such for gels. As darcy says, bib shorts are great for the bike but will probably have too much padding for running – and the thicker padding will also retain a lot of water from the swim (more chafage!)

I suppose a better question would be – what kit do you have now that you’re comfy running or cycling in?

bruk

Practice the bike to run transition, watching my wife’s attempts at running having done the bike part on her old mountain bike nearly caused a divorce because I couldnt stop laughing.

Enjoy it, everyone I know who has done 1 has gone on to do more of them.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Triathlon-track-world: first timer.’ is closed to new replies.