Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Triathlon race bike – toolkit, tube etc?
  • bennyboy1
    Free Member

For the bike racing section of a triathlon do you carry a mini tool, mini pump, tube etc or is it a matter of carrying nothing on the bike & hoping for the best?

simon_g

I do (in a small saddlebag), but I’m so far off the pace it’s not likely to make any difference to my time. I’d rather stop and fix a problem then ride back, than have a 20km walk!

The quick people don’t seem to bother, and seem happy with that tradeoff for a few grams saves and a tiny increase in speed.

SilentSparky
    Free Member

Never done a race myself, but I would think a small saddle bag would work well?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    richmars

Small saddlebag, tube and pump. Used it once in about 50 Tri’s and Du’s.

cp

very small seat pack, containing just a spare tube and a co2 inflator and cartridge. all the bolts should be tight (!) before the off, and it’s just very bad luck if the chain goes.

bluebird
    Free Member

I’ve only raced Tri sprints and didn’t bother. The time taken to fix means the race is over. I would carry one for an olympic distance though – just a tube and pump.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Are you planning on competing at the sharp end of the race? if so then probably not worth it as a mechanical or puncture is pretty much race over. Otherwise, ask yourself, would you rather finish or retire if you get a puncture?

I carry a multitool, pump and a tube.

bennyboy1
    Free Member

Thanks for replies & info above – was asking on behalf of a friend who is going to be starting a few tri’s this summer.

cp

I carry the tube and pump as a get me home thing rather than to mean I can finish the race!! Even if I puncture, I’ll time it and knock that off at the end for my own reference.

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

Can a triathalope carry out a mechanical repair let alone a puncture ?

They have difficulty getting on a bike and riding it FF5 !!

Oh and watch out for that straw sticking out of your bottle near your stem does not poke your eye out !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJx-f_uuRrw 😳 🙄

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Triathlon race bike – toolkit, tube etc?’ is closed to new replies.