Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Triathlon – is it worth it?
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Just done my second sprint tri (kendal) and had my ar5e handed to me in a basket, with a bow on.

The trouble is I’m still albouring under the misaprehension that I might get half decent at it. The first one i did was Ulverston and I did pretty well (half way in male seniors) this one though I was bottom third, more club guys in this one – overall better standard of athlete but I’m still disappointed.

Bike bit went OK but did 12 mins for a 500m swim and 26 mins for a 5k run – RUBBISH!

So, should I
    A stick to riding bikes
    B Suck it up like a big hoover and train harder (pointers welcomed)

paulosoxo
    Free Member

Which leg of the triathlon splits the group the most? Get better at that one!

xiphon
    Free Member

Regardless of what position you finished in – ask yourself: Did you have fun?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Xiphon – running? Swimming? hate them both but it’s that masochist thing isn’t it? Satisfying rather than fun – but ithink if iwas a bit fitter it would be more fun

richpips
    Free Member

I’ve often thought that the majority of triathletes would do quite well at their strong sport if they concentrated their energies there. Instead they spend hours going from rubbish to mediocre in at least one of the other two disciplines.

daveh
    Free Member

I progressed from an 8min 400m swim to sub 7min, bike didn’t really improve but I was okish at that from the start, run went from nearly 30mins to 22mins I think. I was nowhere near winning but I was as fit as I’ve ever been.

YoKaiser
    Free Member

I’d say stick with it. So many variables to eek out the best of you and by all accounts you feel you’ve still got some way to go.

wl
    Free Member

+1 xiphon. If it wasn’t ultimately enjoyable, why the heck do it? It’s really very simple.

jkomo

No

trail_rat
    Free Member

I did one the other week

Was enjoyable because i didnt do well because i hadnt trained…. But i didnt care.

Still gave it my all during the event though.

mattjg
    Free Member
    MaryHinge
    Free Member

I like the variety of the training in 3 the different disciplines. Plus learning all the various new skills ie how to swim “properly”.

Don’t know much about your background/age, but you have loads of room for improvement.

I’m currently edging towards 7 mins for 400m swim. 30 mins for 1500m open water. Under 40 mins for 20k bike is not a problem, did 1hr 10mins for 40k in atrocious conditions on Oly distance last year. Down to 22 mins for the finish 5k run, and 45 mins for the 10k at an Oly.

Not fast, but I’m still getting faster, my aim is to keep beating previous years times fr the same events, and “going longer”, and beating my much younger training buddies of course.

And I’m relative newcomer aged 48.

So yeah, keep at it 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Triathlon – is it worth it?’ is closed to new replies.