Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Triathlon in Hyde Park this weekend
  • steve-g
    Free Member

Is anyone else from here doing this?

I’ve been training like a man possesed for this for a while but the nerves are starting to kick in now. The one thing missing from my training plan has been ANY open water swimming, and I know from previous experience that when that start gun goes off it is nothing like anything you experience in the pool. Once I am in the rhythmn it will be fine, and you are wearing a wetsuit which is basically cheating anyway so I really should try and stay calm.

Bike, looking forward to despite the forecast of bad weather, and the run is probably my favourite part.

So, anyone else there? I’m in the Olympic on Sunday morning

petrieboy

Did it last year. Swim start is fine as you set of in waves in a big line along a pontoon (already in the water, no diving) and the water is nice and warm with decent clarity. Nice event.

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Not sure I agree a wetsuit is ‘basically cheating’ it’s certainly not cheating as much as the drafting that goes on in so many events nowadays.

My friend is Doug her first tri this weekend in London – super sprint.

I’m doing the outlaw half on Sunday. Weather looks miserable for 90km in a tri suit 😕
    All the best for Sunday

steve-g
    Free Member

Good Luck for Sunday TKID, I am down to do the Outlaw at the end of July and the thought of it is keeping me awake already.

Edit, when I say ‘basically cheating’ I am just bitter as my training buddy who is doing the event too is fitter than I am and beats me on the bike and run, when we swim, starting at opposite ends of a 50m pool I can reel him in within 8 or 9 lengths, but as soon as we are in wetsuits my advantage disappears. Swimmers are already at a disadvantage in terms of the swim being the shortest activity by minutes, giving the weak swimmers a ‘cheat’ just makes it worse, where is my cheat on the run?

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Ahhhh this will be a little teaser for you if you’re doing the full distance in July! Best of luck. I ‘attempt’ the full distance in October.

I understand what you’re saying about being relatively disadvantaged as a strong swimmer, especially over the middle / long distance events, but the racing season would be an incredibly short one in a lot of countries without wetsuits

durhambiker
    Free Member

Good luck to you both. Got some friends doing the Outlaw Half too, and me and the wife are doing the full in July. Already terrified about that…

Our next one is Keswick next weekend, lovely course. Did the one at the Mountain Festival 2 weeks back, lovely but brutal course…

thekingisdead
    Free Member

Bump. How did you get on Steve!?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Triathlon in Hyde Park this weekend’ is closed to new replies.