Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Triathletes riding bikes
  • bikerdan
    Free Member

Just watching the triathlon world cup on BBC2. Before it came on I was commenting to my wife about their lack of bike handling skills. Needless to say three crashes, all on an uphill section. And worst still, one of the riders had both his wheels come out! It then appeared that he couldn’t work out how to do up a QR. Priceless…

samuri
    Free Member

Most triathletes are runners who have learned how to swim and ride a bike so they’re not very bright.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

always annoys me how the bike leg of a triathlon is usually as flat as possible thus a triathlon bike by default is just a tt bike… they really do need to mtfu and try riding up hills.

AngusWells

Will you let the Brownlees know, or shall I?

RustySpanner

You want to see me run – seriously, I just can’t do it.
    I’m not sure in which order to move my limbs, get’s a bit embarassing and I fall over a lot.

The fact that there aren’t hundreds of deaths at each tri is quite amazing, tbh. 😀

I admire them for being able to do their three disciplines competently.

Last year’s Chorlton Off Road Tri was very funny though – watching people on borrowed MTB’s try and race on what was obviously their only off road ride of the year 😀

At least there were plenty of doctors and lawyers about to deal with the aftermath.

monkeychild
    Free Member

But on the other hand, I have a mate who is an ex cat 2 road racer and quite good at xc mtb who has competed for GB in long distance tri.
    So they aren’t all shite (I don’t let him know this though 😀 )

richmars

Yes, because you never see crashes in pro road races.

IanMunro
    Free Member

At least the pro roadies normally do it with a bit of style.
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6G1j5kPFpy8[/video]

Hells

Some of us triathletes do actually know how to handle a bike!!

Before you say bike legs is always flat have a look at the profiles for the bike legs at IM Lanzarote, Wales or Nice!! Add the fact that vast majority of Tris are non drafting events, so for an IM event it s a 112 mile time trial! 😯

poly
    Free Member

So Dan, if you are so much better on a bike that triathletes, do you think it would give you an advantage? if so why were you watching on the telly not competing?

pitchpro2011
    Free Member
    footflaps

I used to go on our local Tri club’s training rides, there was always at least one crash, as a general rule they have zero awareness of other riders and just ride into each other at some point whilst ‘in the zone’.

njee20
    Free Member

Plenty of triathletes are shocking, many are very good. It’s unsurprising as statistically only 1/3 of them are cyclists that their skill is lacking somewhat.

bikerdan
    Free Member

Not saying they are all poor bike handlers, it only takes one rider to fall to bring down the pack. Was reading an article about the Brownlee’s riding a few weeks ago, no doubt they could hold their own in elite road races as well top level swimming and running. It just appears from watching it that even at the elite level the crashes appear to occur at odd points and are almost guaranteed.

First triathlon planned for later in the year so will see how it goes.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Triathletes riding bikes’ is closed to new replies.